• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taking a NYC/DC trip in May

On 3/17/2019 at 3:57 PM, Taylor said:

Our flights and hotels are booked. My wife and I will be taking the trip during the first week of May. We fly in to LaGuardia around 7 PM on a Saturday, will be staying in NYC until Wednesday afternoon, and then taking the Amtrak to DC. We fly out of DC (Dulles) at 1 PM the following Saturday. I've been to NYC a few times in my life, but never to DC. My wife has never been to either place.

Any pro tips? We're planning to do Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 museum, the Metropolitan, and the Natural History Museum. Possibly the Empire State Building, but my wife is afraid of heights and I've already done it, so it's not a total necessity. We're also seeing a Broadway show. In DC, we have tours booked for the Library of Congress and the Capitol Building, and hopefully a tour for the White House (we won't find out until a couple weeks before). All of our hotels are centrally located (mid-Manhattan and about 5 blocks from the National Mall). 

Just checked the schedule and the Angels start their series with Baltimore Friday May 10th.

On 3/18/2019 at 8:32 PM, NJHalo said:

We did the observatory a few months after it opened. Had dinner up there. Would not recommend it though. Poor service, food was bland, and very expensive. I know you said your wife was afraid of heights, so I need to tell you she might be bothered up there. If you do decide to go up top, pay for the upgrade to pass the line. It gets long, and does not move at healthy pace. 

You might have your fill of boat rides going to the Statue and Ellis Island, but if not, I definitely agree with Red’s recommendation of taking the free Staten Island Ferry. Nice relaxing and scenic. Just try to avoid it at rush hour. 

This is good advice. When I went it was only like $20 more but it was well worth it. Not sure if it’s still the same but we were actually a floor above the GA crowd. It wasn’t crowded and there was a nice little wine bar. 

7 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

This is good advice. When I went it was only like $20 more but it was well worth it. Not sure if it’s still the same but we were actually a floor above the GA crowd. It wasn’t crowded and there was a nice little wine bar. 

what's more American than baseball and beer wine? 

If any of you are a person of faith, I strongly recommend the Museum of the Bible. It's a newly opened place in DC and we were there Thursday morning. It was very well done. There are six floors of exhibits and our group only had enough time to spend on two of them. On the third floor is an exhibit called "The Old Testament" and it's a walk-through exhibit with a few different movies, actors in character, and life-sized dioramas to experience. Our favorite part was walking through the Red Sea when it parted for Moses and the Israelites as they escaped the Egyptians. It was really clever.

On the second floor is an interactive exhibit called Washington Revelations. You stand in a simulator and it flies you all around DC showing you several examples of the Christian heritage of our nation. It's similar to Star Tours in that it's a flight/motion simulator and you're inserted into the action. We really liked it.

There's a cafeteria on the sixth floor that was excellent. Some typical kids food but also some very interesting and excellent food outside the box. We ate well and really enjoyed it. I'd go back there again just to have lunch.

https://www.museumofthebible.org

On 3/22/2019 at 9:08 PM, Slegnaac said:

Just checked the schedule and the Angels start their series with Baltimore Friday May 10th.

That is crazy timing. March 10th would be our last night in D.C. 

Anyone know how easy it is to get from D.C. to Camden Yards without a car?

14 hours ago, Tank said:

If any of you are a person of faith, I strongly recommend the Museum of the Bible. It's a newly opened place in DC and we were there Thursday morning. It was very well done. There are six floors of exhibits and our group only had enough time to spend on two of them. On the third floor is an exhibit called "The Old Testament" and it's a walk-through exhibit with a few different movies, actors in character, and life-sized dioramas to experience. Our favorite part was walking through the Red Sea when it parted for Moses and the Israelites as they escaped the Egyptians. It was really clever.

On the second floor is an interactive exhibit called Washington Revelations. You stand in a simulator and it flies you all around DC showing you several examples of the Christian heritage of our nation. It's similar to Star Tours in that it's a flight/motion simulator and you're inserted into the action. We really liked it.

There's a cafeteria on the sixth floor that was excellent. Some typical kids food but also some very interesting and excellent food outside the box. We ate well and really enjoyed it. I'd go back there again just to have lunch.

https://www.museumofthebible.org

We're thinking of checking this out. We only have two full days in D.C., and want to make sure we see all the iconic D.C. things. But if we have a few hours to spare, we'll see if we can fit in the Museum of the Bible.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:31 PM, Tank said:

I just arrived in DC this afternoon. We’re in colonial Williamsburg tonight and tomorrow and heading up to the capitol tomorrow night. Holocaust museum is a must, as is Arlington National Cemetery and the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknowns (take the tram. It’s worth the $15). All of the smithsonian museums are worth seeing. Go to the bureau of printing and engraving, too. The memorials are best seen at night when there’s a bit less foot traffic. Also go to Fords Theater and the national archives.

I'd like to amend my position on the bold statement above. We went to most of them at sundown or just after. There are signs at most of them requesting respect and quiet, and it's nearly impossible to find that when school groups/teenagers are present. The Lincoln Memorial was especially egregious (and it was also terrible when I was last there in 2006). Kids were yelling, adults were laughing and carrying on, and there were even some kids using one of the marble retaining walls at the top of the steps as a slide down to one of the lower levels - their teacher was MIA, too. I spoke with our tour guide about it and she said if it was up to her, she'd have taken us first thing in the morning. I have to concur with this as a strategy for any of you who are going to DC.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:11 PM, Taylor said:

That is crazy timing. March 10th would be our last night in D.C. 

Anyone know how easy it is to get from D.C. to Camden Yards without a car?

Camden Yards is awesome...if you can catch the Halos playing there, I would absolutely consider it.

2 hours ago, red321 said:

Camden Yards is awesome...if you can catch the Halos playing there, I would absolutely consider it.

Looks like we'll have to pay $75 total to take the Amtrak round trip, plus the cost of the tickets. Still might be worth it if we can get tickets at a good price.

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Looks like we'll have to pay $75 total to take the Amtrak round trip, plus the cost of the tickets. Still might be worth it if we can get tickets at a good price.

With how much the Orioles are going to suck this year...probably not an issue getting tickets. It's also such a cool stadium that you don't need best seats in the house, part of the fun of Camden Yards is heading out to the porch area behind right field, grabbing some bbq and drinks.

19 hours ago, red321 said:

With how much the Orioles are going to suck this year...probably not an issue getting tickets. It's also such a cool stadium that you don't need best seats in the house, part of the fun of Camden Yards is heading out to the porch area behind right field, grabbing some bbq and drinks.

Totally agree. My Yankees fan friends go all the time.

Also, there is always a big turnout of Mike Trout fans, friends, and family from south Jersey, as it is a little closer, and a lot cheaper than trekking to Yankee Stadium. 

Alright, my wife and I decided we're definitely going to go see the Angels at Camden Yards. I think I'd kick myself if I missed the opportunity to see the Angels play there.

Now, I'm just praying it doesn't ran that night.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:57 PM, Taylor said:

Our flights and hotels are booked. My wife and I will be taking the trip during the first week of May. We fly in to LaGuardia around 7 PM on a Saturday, will be staying in NYC until Wednesday afternoon, and then taking the Amtrak to DC. We fly out of DC (Dulles) at 1 PM the following Saturday. I've been to NYC a few times in my life, but never to DC. My wife has never been to either place.

Any pro tips? We're planning to do Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 museum, the Metropolitan, and the Natural History Museum. Possibly the Empire State Building, but my wife is afraid of heights and I've already done it, so it's not a total necessity. We're also seeing a Broadway show. In DC, we have tours booked for the Library of Congress and the Capitol Building, and hopefully a tour for the White House (we won't find out until a couple weeks before). All of our hotels are centrally located (mid-Manhattan and about 5 blocks from the National Mall). 

Just seeing this thread.

DC is my favorite US city. But Im a nerd, Im in to history.

Theres so much to do, and its almost all free.

The smithsonian air and space museum is great if youre into that, but the second site for it is about a half hour outside of town. Blows the one in town away. They have a space shuttle, the enola gay B-29, and some other very well restored aircraft.

The american history museum is my favorite. Its like pop culture exploded. Ive been twice and have still only seen half.

The monuments are amazing. Arlington is very touching. Make sure you see the changing of the guard. Pay the extra money for a hotel close to the city center. The fees will be offset by all the ubers.

NY is a great time, too. You really only need to see Manhatten, although DUMBO in Brooklyn is pretty rad.

But mainly just midtown to lower manhatten. Trains run everywhere. The 9/11 museum is pretty depressing, but very well done.

Make sure you get a pizza somewhere. Anywhere.

Carmines is a cool restaurant in  times square. Prime rib on saturdays is legit as hell.

If youre a nerd like me, and in to 9/11 history, stop by the firehouse near times square for Engine 54 Ladder 4 and buy a t shirt. They have the distinction of being the fire station that every guy working that day was killed.... buying a shirt puts money in the jar for those guys to grocery shop. 

If the Knicks are playing, the garden is a good time. 

Wear an Angel hat.

Have fun!

This - Holocaust and Changing of the Guard at the tomb of the unknowns - my wife is buried there, and when I visit will still watch the ceremony - I find it very moving.

If you like the whole Air and Space thing, I recommend you take in the Udvar-Hazy instead of the mall musuem (if you have to choose one) - that's near Dulles - much better building, larger collection and less claustrophic.  Could even do on the way out of town (they run shuttles from Dulles.)  

You said you were doing LOC - by the way, you can get a library card and actually go into the reading room - otherwise, you just look through the aquarium glass - https://www.loc.gov/rr/readerregistration.html  - not a big thing, but you know ...

There's a spot near the Tidal basin / Jefferson memorial that was (and still is) the Maine Avenue Fish market - called the Wharf - the fish market is there, and there's some relatively high end places to grab some food and take a break - not far from L'Enfant.  Speaking of which, the international spy museum is building a brand new space at L'enfant, looks pretty awesome - ah, wait, it opens May 12th.  Can still take in the original, very popular.  

Take a detour to Freer-Sackler, they have some cool Buddist art, and Whistler's Peacock room - kind of cool.  https://www.freersackler.si.edu/exhibition/the-peacock-room-comes-to-america/

Shoot, the editor just ate a bunch of what I wrote.  Hmm, visit Eastern Market or Union Market for some food shopping.  Visit Great Falls park.  Kayak the Potomac in Georgetown.  Take in a Nats game.  Catch some nightlife - lots of theaters and clubs - depending on your musical style - the federal area gets boring at night.  Happy hour oysters at the Old Ebbit Grill.  The botanical garden next to the Capitol is cool for a break, and the National Arboretum is nice, if you're into that kind of thing - great bonsai museum.  Lot of people like the building museum, but haven't been.  

Anyway, lot of specialty museums and things to do.  Check out the Washingtonian magazine for lists of restaurants - https://www.washingtonian.com/  - I tend to prefer the "Cheap Eats" list :) Oh, actually, this isn't a bad list of things to consider:  https://www.washingtonian.com/2015/03/18/50-things-every-local-needs-to-do/

On 3/24/2019 at 8:38 PM, Tank said:

I'd like to amend my position on the bold statement above. We went to most of them at sundown or just after. There are signs at most of them requesting respect and quiet, and it's nearly impossible to find that when school groups/teenagers are present. The Lincoln Memorial was especially egregious (and it was also terrible when I was last there in 2006). Kids were yelling, adults were laughing and carrying on, and there were even some kids using one of the marble retaining walls at the top of the steps as a slide down to one of the lower levels - their teacher was MIA, too. I spoke with our tour guide about it and she said if it was up to her, she'd have taken us first thing in the morning. I have to concur with this as a strategy for any of you who are going to DC.

Sadly true - basically, I stay away from DC to the extent possible from the Cherry Blossom Festival to Labor Day - the tour groups are unbearable.  These aren't local bus trips, they're flying in from all over the planet, so they don't leave at 2:00 pm.  So yes, best to take in those "landmark" places early in the morning before they can get those boorish children organized and onto the metro or a bus.  (and the Lincoln is a common meeting point in the afternoons for bus pickups.)