• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Optimism for this season

Glen

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

As an aside, I'm doing my predictions right now, and I think maybe the idea that there's only one wild card spot available for the Angels is not true.

The more I look at the Red Sox, the more I think they are primed for a major dropoff. Their bullpen looks highly questionable, having not replaced Kimbel or Kelly. Ryan Brasier may be their closer. Sale is coming off a year in which he was hurt and declined (and he barely pitched in spring training). Porcello is always up-and-down. Eovaldi had always been up and down. Betts and JD Martinez can't possibly be as good as they were again. (Betts had an .839 career OPS before last year, when he jumped to 1.078.) Their everyday lineup still includes Moreland, Holt, Bradley Jr. and Vazquez. Bogaerts and Benintendi also took huge jumps offensively last year.

Obviously they still look, on paper, to be better than the Angels, but it's not by an insurmountable gap. I think there are realistic outcomes that see the Red Sox winning 85 games and the Angels winning 88.

Just off the top of my head, here's how I'd put the over-under at the AL wild card contenders (assuming the Astros, Indians and Yankees win the divisions)

Red Sox 88, Twins 85, Rays 85, Angels 84, A's 81. 

I thought I was the only one that saw a major drop off coming for Oakland.  But Tampa Bay seems like they'll be better than that.  They're getting a full year of Pham and Glasnow, they brought in Charlie Morton and traded for Yandy Diaz who looks to be a pretty solid hitter.  They also managed to land Mike Zunino in what looks to be a pretty one-sided swap.  The Rays might take that division. 

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I thought I was the only one that saw a major drop off coming for Oakland.

Their rotation is Fiers, Estrada, Anderson, Montas and Bassitt.

Their projected bullpen has only one pitcher under 30, Lou Trevino. Normally, great bullpens don't repeat as great bullpens, because relievers are so inconsistent.

I also think losing Jed Lowrie was pretty big.

34 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I disagree that the floor for 1B is a disaster. Bour was a nice pickup. Agree that the rest of those positions have a good chance to be very bad

I agree Bour was a good pickup.  But the downside to 1B may not be Bour being terrible.  It might be Pujols being healthy and hitting .232 with a .274 OB% and getting most of the playing time because he is "on pace for 90 rbi!"

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I agree Bour was a good pickup.  But the downside to 1B may not be Bour being terrible.  It might be Pujols being healthy and hitting .232 with a .274 OB% and getting most of the playing time because he is "on pace for 90 rbi!"

That's only a concern if you don't believe Ausmus when he said that Pujols will have to earn at bats. 

17 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

That's only a concern if you don't believe Ausmus when he said that Pujols will have to earn at bats. 

You are correct.  But at this point we really don't know where he draws the line.

Until we see it, it continues to be a concern (for me anyway).

3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Bour seems like a LH Cron to me. He either hits a HR or nothing, even CJ had a 1B, and a 2B once in awhile.

Bour is a better hitter than Valbuena (RIP) or Cron or Marte or Fernandez. Remember that he was basically their only power threat in the lineup other than Realmuto in the first half of 2018 and in 2017 he was legit.

If he plays like he did in 2017, it will be hard to keep him out of the lineup in favor of Pujols. I'd also hope Cozart and Upton do what they did in 2017, this offense may be top 3 if that all happens.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

Bour is a better hitter than Valbuena (RIP) or Cron or Marte or Fernandez. Remember that he was basically their only power threat in the lineup other than Realmuto in the first half of 2018 and in 2017 he was legit.

If he plays like he did in 2017, it will be hard to keep him out of the lineup in favor of Pujols. I'd also hope Cozart and Upton do what they did in 2017, this offense may be top 3 if that all happens.

I feel like an asshole, but I totally forgot Valbuena was killed.