• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols' Historic Decline Revisited

32 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

yeah.  defer the money.   get him out of the lineup.  free up some cash

No.  You ordered this crap sandwich.  Eat it until it's done, which is three years.  I am not going to let you push that horrible tasting sandwich aside and let it sit there. You are going to have to eat it at some point.

/your mom

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

He wouldn't have to.  He could retire with a buyout.  Halos would pay him the full amount deferred to get him off the books.  

If he retires he forfeits the rest of his contract. That was my point to the guy I responded to. Pujols is not retiring and leaving millions behind because of a .300 lifetime batting average. He's in the hall of fame regardless of his stats for the next three years.

The buyout is a separate argument. 

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If he retires he forfeits the rest of his contract. That was my point to the guy I responded to. Pujols is not retiring and leaving millions behind because of a .300 lifetime batting average. He's in the hall of fame regardless of his stats for the next three years.

The buyout is a separate argument. 

agree with that.  he's not going to give up a dime.  he might let them push out the money over the next few years.  It will still count toward the CBT number until he stops playing so you can't get around that, but having an extra 20mil to spend now would be great

The one thing i think is overlooked here, is that even with the numbers being what they are we really have had an actual replacement to plug in there to put any pressure on him to make any kind of decision.
This is now not the case with Ohtani, Bour, and an emerging Thaiss all in play.
I still believe this will be his last season, and it will be announced sometime in the first half once it becomes obvious that he no longer deserves the playing time so he can halve a bit of a farewell tour and play back in StL.  I do think finishing with that 300+ avg matters to him for his legacy and he will want to protect that.
AS Doc said a buyout will take place and we move forward, he wont lose any money on the deal. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/125162/happy-bobby-bonilla-day-his-annual-1-19-million-payday-is-here

No deferment unless it was his last two years of salary, and even then, must be deferred over those two years and a max of 6 more. No Bobby Bonilla repeat. (which is why any time Steve Philipps says anything, do the opposite)

https://www.halosheaven.com/2018/11/6/18053238/albert-pujols-angels-first-base-dh-age-conundrum

He's probably two years older. When he says something happened 28 years ago, when he was 13.... that makes him 41, not 38 like he was when he made that quote. And that's giving him the benefit of the doubt.

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/125162/happy-bobby-bonilla-day-his-annual-1-19-million-payday-is-here

No deferment unless it was his last two years of salary, and even then, must be deferred over those two years and a max of 6 more. No Bobby Bonilla repeat. (which is why any time Steve Philipps says anything, do the opposite)

https://www.halosheaven.com/2018/11/6/18053238/albert-pujols-angels-first-base-dh-age-conundrum

He's probably two years older. When he says something happened 28 years ago, when he was 13.... that makes him 41, not 38 like he was when he made that quote. And that's giving him the benefit of the doubt.

In before Stradling tells you you're wrong.

how many more years do we have to endure this?  two or three.

hey, everyone knew the back side of this ten year deal was going to be terrible, Well, terrible is here.

Not sure what anyone can do about it.

One thing that must be done -- and hopefully Ausmus has the flexibility to do this -- we gotta move Pujols down the line up.

No more preventing Trout from scoring or hitting into a GIDP with Trout on base.

2 hours ago, disarcina said:

hey, everyone knew the back side of this ten year deal was going to be terrible, Well, terrible is here.

I wish it was just the "back side" of the contract. So far Albert has not had a single year as an Angel that is as good as we hoped. Remember in 2012, when we all thought it was a down year and he'd bounce back in 2013? It turns out 2012--which was his worst year to that point--was his best year as an Angel.

So we've had:

2012: Disappointing, but pretty good

2013-16: Mediocre at best, but not a total loss

2017-18: Why is this guy a major league player, let alone starter?

3 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Read 'em and weep, fellas.

His last three years with St. Louis (averages):

115 Runs, 42 HR, 117 RBI, .313/.409/.598, OPS+, 170

Last three years with the Angels:

58 Runs, 24 HR, 95 RBI, .252/.300/.419, OPS+ of 95

And three more years to go!!

God damn you are a broken record of misery.  Please change your name to “Three more years”.  

Pujols was never, ever, going to retire before this deal is over.

The fact is, he didn't produce up to his contract even one year with the Angels.  His lower body was broken the day he stepped into his first ST in Tempe.  Probably as a result of him being older than he claims and from the years of steroids he took.

Also, I am sure the Angels knew that they would be on the hook for all ten of those years, they would be foolish to believe otherwise.

I've written some silly stuff here over the years but nothing as silly as the fanciful scenarios people here paint to dream about Pujols retiring early.  My favorite one is that he would give up 10s of millions by retiring early....... so his career BA doesn't dip under .300?

And as other posters have pointed out, he's been a mess from the first season.  Remember he didn't hit a home run for the first month and a half of his angels career?