• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I've been resisting it, but...we're gonna lose Trout

Glen

13 hours ago, yamsi12 said:

As much as I don’t want to say it, I have a feeling the Angels will screw this up. Just a gut feeling Arte won’t pay him what he’s worth. Also a large part of me thinks Trout wants to go home and play. And to be honest I don’t blame him.

The whole website knows where I am coming from on this Trout extension thing. I feel the signs are stronger that he leaves. But I dont believe for a second that Arte wont pay him what he's worth. Arte's offer will be as large or larger than anyone else's offer.

Of course, it might not make a difference, if the team isn't capable of going deep into the playoffs or if Trout really does want to play closer to home. Both of those are still unknowns.

But to a certain degree, the Angels may actually have to bid against themselves on Trout. Stay with me, on this............

If the team isn't a playoff team in the next two years, and if Trout really wants to "go home" in some fashion, then it's going to take some serious money over and above what a winning, east coast team may offer, to woo him. 

Even so, I try to wrap my head around the fact that, wherever he signs, he will have been guaranteed (counting his first extension) somewhere at or over 500 million dollars. What a staggering sum! Isn't it possible a small-town guy like Trout might consider leaving maybe 20-30 million on Arte's table, if he can play close to home, on a contender?

I know, 20-30 mil is a lot. None of us will probably ever earn that in five lifetimes. But consider this. Leaving 20 mil on the table, while already being guaranteed 500 mil, is like foregoing 4K on a salary of 100K. Seriously, cant you visualize a situation where you would reject a 4k signing bonus and earn only 96k? In exchange for that, you get to be near home and playing for a team that is winning and it makes you happy? How many countless employees in the LA Basin have chosen a lower paying job because the job is closer to home and the work environment is preferable? 

Now, 4k isn't utter chump change to a guy making 96k. A guy making 96k probably still has debt to service. So, he might think twice about leaving  that 4k on the table. But a guy guaranteed 500 mil, no matter where he plays? Why not play EXACTLY where you want, even if you earn 4% less?

Heck, you might even justify taking less by pointing out that it leaves money for your new team to go out and make the team even better! That would be a PR coup, for an agent to take that tact! Sounds like something Boras would do, certainly. Of course, Boras isn't Trout's agent.

Now, nobody but Trout's inner circle knows where Trout REALLY wants to play.............and no one knows how good the Angels will be in the next 2-3 years. 

The Angels have little control over where Trout wants to play. But they have a fair amount of control over how good they will be in 2-3 years. Eppler's plan seems like a plan that should succeed, even if Trout leaves. I commend him highly for that. It's the smart strategy. 

I just hope it includes trading Trout if he refuses to negotiate next off season. That's a crushing statement to have to make. But it would be foolish not to at least attempt to trade him, in that situation. That would NOT be a smart strategy, unless the Angels were clearly able to go well into the playoffs in 2020.

375/10 years seems like a fair offer. It takes him through his age 38 season. Maybe structure the deal so that Trout gets paid under in 2021 so the last year of Pujols and 1st year of Trout’s megadeal won’t kill the payroll. Also Simmons should be contacted about an extension. If Mookie Betts ever becomes a free agent I hope we consider him because an OF of Adell Trout and Betts would be amazing. 

If Trout refuses our best offer we have to trade him, and also trade everyone outside of Simmons, Ohtani and Pujols(maybe keep Skaggs or Heaney)to start with a clean slate and add prospects to the future team

The way I see it all going down and now I may be incorrect and I'm sure there are holes someone will point out.

1. Financially,  I would offer the 8-10 after his contract is up not a re-write including the current. 38M-40M ( I just can't wrap my mind around the crazy cashe')

2. Angels aren't going to divulge anything to anyone.

3. Trout is going to continue to play everything close to the vest.

2 Response- The reason why 2 is going to happen is it will be a private negotiation as the FO talk #'s with Trout it needs to be a soft sell. They can't risk pissing him off (generational player) and in the end Do Not want the negative media attention and public backlash if he does in the end go elsewhere and they get drug through the mud by the media if it is shown as they fumbled/cheapened negotiations. They also can't risk decreasing his trade value if the worst case unfolds next summer or in July 2020.

3 Response- I feel the same way the FO will handle it above as the way I see Mike handling it also. He is a very proud and loyal young man (hate to say this) almost to a fault. He wants to win, but he also loves the So Cal weather and laid back OC lifestyle. I also see he doesn't want the limelight and wants the least amount of crazy attention. He's not stupid he can see what he's been able to accomplish so far and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know where his finality is written if he continues his course.

The way I see it going down is a save face situation for both, starting with a behind the scenes negotiation if anyone talks the old saying will happen (snitches get stitches or disappear will happen). They will either Culminate into a extension. Or, a dual pre-negotiated (and paid for) scripted press conference post Trade or after his filing of Free Agency explaining his want to finish his career close to home, while thanking the fan base and the Angels and Arte for allowing his dreams to come to fruition and the Angels stating they are happy they were able to help him realize his dreams of playing at Home. The only way the Halos can do it. Otherwise, they will get hammered by the local and national press, the fan base, I can see tv monies not being renewed in the future, sponsorship's declining, marketing opportunities ceasing, and team gear sales plummeting. 

Anything that gets leaked now is circumstantial and assumption.  Same as my opinion. And everyone else's.

I will say this though.... not to compare Trout to Jesus or anything,  but John the Baptist came as a voice in the wilderness to serve as a forerunner to the coming of Jesus' ministry. Talented in his own right, John was not the Messiah.

Harper came to the Phillies for his own reasons,  but he's made it no secret that he's hoping him coming to the Philies will no doubt bring about someone greater than he soon.  And Trout is the greatest. 

Not only that, we know Trout does not want the spotlight on him. Going to Philadelphia would definitely put him center stage in a media circus that he prefers to avoid. But if Harper is there, perhaps some of that focus could be off Mike. Harper is predisposed to grab attention,  Mike is not.  So it does make sense. 

30 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I will say this though.... not to compare Trout to Jesus or anything,  but John the Baptist came as a voice in the wilderness to serve as a forerunner to the coming of Jesus' ministry. Talented in his own right, John was not the Messiah.

Harper came to the Phillies for his own reasons,  but he's made it no secret that he's hoping him coming to the Philies will no doubt bring about someone greater than he soon.  And Trout is the greatest. 

Not only that, we know Trout does not want the spotlight on him. Going to Philadelphia would definitely put him center stage in a media circus that he prefers to avoid. But if Harper is there, perhaps some of that focus could be off Mike. Harper is predisposed to grab attention,  Mike is not.  So it does make sense. 

Jesus...

5 hours ago, stormngt said:

I thought Stanton was Traded to the Yankees!

Nice try!

He had a NTC and basically forced a trade to NY despite better offers from STL and SF. The Marlins ate money and got poor prospects and a salary dump in return. 

When you have no leverage and Trout can dictate his location, you get crappy returns. Sorry that’s so difficult for you to understand. 

56 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Trout...

I hope Trout's camp makes it clear one way or the other as to whether he feels good about sticking around Anaheim or not.  If things get dire at least we can grab a massive haul in a trade situation to offset his loss a little bit.  

Worst case would be that the negotiations prolong and nothing happens, and he ends up leaving for nothing (ala Bryce Harper).  

15 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

He then did an interview and asked to clarify that remark and said Trout by name as the player he was referring to. Seriously wtf? What an asshole.

Why does this make him an asshole?  Any player in the game would want Trout as a teammate, that isn't exactly a surprise.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

This is honestly the pure AAA grade post I come to AW for.  Inject this shit directly into my veins.  

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

He had a NTC and basically forced a trade to NY despite better offers from STL and SF. The Marlins ate money and got poor prospects and a salary dump in return. 

When you have no leverage and Trout can dictate his location, you get crappy returns. Sorry that’s so difficult for you to understand. 

Was he traded and did the Marlins get more than a compensation pick?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

How in the hell does that make him an asshole?

It's disrespectful to angel fans with Harper actively trying to get him to avoid signing an extension and leave the angels. Some of us would actually like to keep him, if that ever crossed Harper's mind. It's not like Trout's a free agent.

It's an ahole thing to do, and as Lou mentioned tampering.

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

BTW Stanton us a poor example because he was under control for quite a few years.  He wasnt on the verge of free agency.  Still Marlibs got more than a compensation pick.  If we cant extend him trade him.  Sorry you cant comprehend that.

4 minutes ago, stormngt said:

BTW Stanton us a poor example because he was under control for quite a few years.  He wasnt on the verge of free agency.  Still Marlibs got more than a compensation pick.  If we cant extend him trade him.  Sorry you cant comprehend that.

His value for two years is worth more than we would get for him. Trading him would be the most moronically stupid decision any organization could make. The only circumstance you trade him in is if he demands a trade, and even then, it depends on the circumstances. 

9 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

It's disrespectful to angel fans with Harper actively trying to get him to avoid signing an extension and leave the angels. Some of us would actually like to keep him, if that ever crossed Harper's mind. It's not like Trout's a free agent.

It's an ahole thing to do, and as Lou mentioned tampering.

Yeah it’s just a douchy thing to do. God I just want Trout to sign this extension and watch everyone cry.