• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I've been resisting it, but...we're gonna lose Trout

Glen

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

My problem with this is that at the time, Charlie Sheen was a star with a promising career ahead of him: Platoon, Wallstreet, Major League. Look how that turned out, just a few years later:

Image result for charlie sheen the chase

Don’t forget Ferris Buehler (making out with Jennifer Gray).

Trout is a guy who won’t just sign for the most dollars. He will sign where he wants to sign. If his heart is set on playing for his hometown team then it will get done. If he wants to be an angel for life then that will also happen. 

I won’t spend much time worrying about something i can’t do a thing about it. I just hope we work on giving him another reason to stick around (winning can really help). 

As we saw with Pujols, there is a ton of risk associated with a record setting contract. The real value Trout will provide was always going to be in years 2012-2020. That’s why I have always been a proponent of going in on those seasons. If he stays he is our big FA splash for the decade. This is also part of the reason why I said Trout won’t win with Phillie

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

Uh, what? We wouldn’t receive a ridiculous package for him. He’s got a NTC: We can’t move him except where he want to go. That eliminates a lot of leverage just at the outset. Also, no package is going to be worth his value. There has never been a better player than Mike Trout - this is not a exaggeration. If they move him, they’re the biggest morons ever. 

I have been hearing this argument for three years and its bullshit!

1.  How many times do players with no trade clauses get traded?

2. We will offer Trout a ridiculous contract. Therefore the only way we dont extend him is if he is unhappy here and wants to leave.

3.  Anyone willing to trade a lot for him would be contending for the WS.

4.  Trout wants to win the WS

5.  So why the hell would he block a trade to leave a franchise that he plans on leaving anyway?

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

Uh, what? We wouldn’t receive a ridiculous package for him. He’s got a NTC: We can’t move him except where he want to go. That eliminates a lot of leverage just at the outset. Also, no package is going to be worth his value. There has never been a better player than Mike Trout - this is not a exaggeration. If they move him, they’re the biggest morons ever. 

Your a moron if you let Trout leave with us getting a compensation pick!  If he doesnt accept our best offer than we have to trade him!  Yes we wont get equal value for him.  However we would be getting more than a compensation pick

54 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I have been hearing this argument for three years and its bullshit!

1.  How many times do players with no trade clauses get traded?

2. We will offer Trout a ridiculous contract. Therefore the only way we dont extend him is if he is unhappy here and wants to leave.

3.  Anyone willing to trade a lot for him would be contending for the WS.

4.  Trout wants to win the WS

5.  So why the hell would he block a trade to leave a franchise that he plans on leaving anyway?

Stanton, Giancarlo. Look it up. 

You can call it whatever you want, but that doesn’t make it not true. 

2 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

How does Rosenthal find out about it? Do you believe it was leaked intentionally?

Someone told him. 

Do you mean, did they tell him hoping that he’d write it? That I don’t know. But most people are smart enough to know what happens when you tell something to a reporter. 

If they actually presented him with an offer and nothing happened, that’s interesting. If all they did is talk about it among themselves, that’s not interesting. 

My understanding is the Trout people let the Angels know they weren’t interested in engaging until after Harper-Machado signed. Given that, I doubt the Angels made an offer.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Your a moron if you let Trout leave with us getting a compensation pick!  If he doesnt accept our best offer than we have to trade him!  Yes we wont get equal value for him.  However we would be getting more than a compensation pick

I have said many times, in order for Trout to be traded, two things have to BOTH be true.

-There is no chance of re-signing him

-There is no chance of winning with him. 

I highly doubt that the first would be true, because I think Trout likes the Angels enough that he would at least keep the door open. 

And the soonest the second could be true is July 2020. 

I had zero expectation that we would seem him extended before Machado and Harper signed regardless, but with Arenado also extended, the market is basically 100% set, there are no remaining wildcards.  I dont think the numbers shock anyone based on the rumors.
Bottom line here, it would seem obvious what it will take to get it done, it should not be complicated.  If both sides want it to happen it should happen before the season starts.  If it does not happen, then i will get nervous.

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

I had zero expectation that we would seem him extended before Machado and Harper signed regardless, but with Arenado also extended, the market is basically 100% set, there are no remaining wildcards.  I dont think the numbers shock anyone based on the rumors.
Bottom line here, it would seem obvious what it will take to get it done, it should not be complicated.  If both sides want it to happen it should happen before the season starts.  If it does not happen, then i will get nervous.

Agree. No big names are coming up before Trout. At this point it just comes down to whether he wants to stay or if there are other factors in his mind. 

Look gents, if we are going to live and die by everything Trout says and doesn't say for the next two years,  then it's going to be a very long two years.  

Everything I've read from Fletcher indicates he likes it here and Trout certainly doesn't give off anything that would lead anyone otherwise.  At the same time,  he's from the East coast,  and enjoys spending his offseasons back home and lives close to Philadelphia. 

I think chances are,  Mike Trout does not know what he wants to do in the future.  For the time being,  he wants to play baseball and win. Maybe a year from now,  he likes the way things are moving and doesn't want to do the free agent thing and signs the extension over the Angels will almost certainly be sending his way next winter.  And if that doesn't happen,  maybe he sees how well the youth movement is going in 2020 and wants to stay.  Or maybe he just wants something new and wants to go home. 

But I will predict this with some level of comfort. He will either be an Angel for the rest of his career or he will be a Phillie. Because no one will outspend Arte to keep him here. But if he does leave it will mean he wants to be back east and wants to win. There is nowhere closer to home than Philadelphia and it looks like they are going to start winning more ball games soon. 

If he leaves,  I'll be heartbroken. I can tell you that. But I wont spend the next two years fearing something might happen and my favorite player ever will leave because that's not in my control and no amount of research on my part will bring me that answer any sooner,  and I don't get my happiness from someone in dont know. But it would stick because the Angels are about to get really good in 2020 and beyond, like they will be winning 95+ wins a year.  But without Trout, I think that number probably drops to like 85.

Then again,  by that time both Pujols and Trout's contracts would be off the books,  so they can probably spend that 60 million lost in attempting to add more wins to the roster. So maybe the difference between Trout and no Trout at 40 million a year may only be like 5 wins.

Isn't Reamulto a free agent the same offseason as Trout? While he isnt Trout, I would venture to guess the Phillies will be looking to extend him. Afterall, they gave up a decent haul for him in the first place. Who knows what happens between now and then. 

9 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I have said many times, in order for Trout to be traded, two things have to BOTH be true.

-There is no chance of re-signing him

-There is no chance of winning with him. 

I highly doubt that the first would be true, because I think Trout likes the Angels enough that he would at least keep the door open. 

And the soonest the second could be true is July 2020. 

I agree with you.  I have always said "give Trout your best offer "  if he turns it down that means he is leaving and thus we should trade him.  Personally I think he signs an extension with us.