• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If you were a baseball player, would you want Boras to be your agent?

Glen

If you were a baseball player, would you want Boras to be your agent?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a baseball player, would you want Boras to be your agent?

9 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Someone who represents them-self in a legal arena has a fool for a client.....so I am told.

David Robertson pretty successfully did it this winter, getting the contract he wanted in the geographic area he preferred, and he seems like a man of moderate or better intelligence.  I'd be especially careful is turning to someone whose own self interests are largely driving their representation of your interests.  They're motivation won't typically match yours.

If money is all you want, then money is all you're going to get, but there's little to suggest they're effective in getting players more money since the new CBA came into effect and teams are being much more shrewd in the arena of player value and negotiation.  So even if money is all you want and that matches the agent's own interests, then the commission rate your agent will be taking actually works against your total pay.  So unless this agent is so good at their job that they end up getting you in excess of 6% more pay, then agents are actually working against you as the player. 

And even if a player does choose to go with an agent, why go with someone whose time you'll need to share among hundreds of different athletes.  There's no way that agent is tracking you specifically, he's having one of his interns talk to you and work with you, just with his name on the final line.  But if you are going to go with an agent, personally, I'd want someone who has been in my situation before, and isn't doing this to get rich, he does this because he genuinely has your interests in mind.

Mike Trout for an example, has Craig Landis as his agent.  Trout is Landis' only client, and Landis was a former first round pick in baseball, and also played football at Stanford.