• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If you were a baseball player, would you want Boras to be your agent?

Glen

If you were a baseball player, would you want Boras to be your agent?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a baseball player, would you want Boras to be your agent?

Man this is such a tough question.  I will answer it like this.  If he were my agent he would work for me, so I would tell him to get me the best deal he can with a short list of teams, while having the actual team in mind that I want to play for and if that team is in the same ballpark financially then I want to go there.  Oh and get me that deal by December 15th so I can have it wrapped up before Christmas.  

I would serve as my own representation.  Teams tend to be more guarded in their valuations and words around players, but are typically brutally honest with agents.  I'd want to sign with a team that sees ways in which I can improve, and is on the West Coast.  If that didn't come around, then I'd want to better understand why, and rather than going through a third party to get this sort of news, I'd want to cut out the middle man and handle it myself. 

Also, no commission. 

Having Boras as your agent doesn't mean you must have no control.

Every player is different.

I think you can use his skills to your benefit along the while spectrum of how much control you want to give him.

The only real question is what level of player are we talking about?  I think sometimes the average or below average player might not get the amount of attention they need when these superagents are distracted with the elite player contracts. 

Boras works for the player and what THEY want. Weaver wanted to stay an Angel and Boras worked out a deal.

When Adenhart passed, he was front and center at the press conference. Guy was seriously heart broken at the loss of Nick, and not the potential money.

Boras is great and getting what the player wants. Of course I would have him represent me. I know he will take the heat if I wanted to play for a different organization.

I voted NO....

Also, and I was talking about this last night, I wouldn't be looking to be the richest guy on my team.  If I was a Trout or Harper or other super stars...I would want the best chance to win.  Winning doesn't mean I am the highest paid.  Winning means fielding a competitive team year in and year out.  Also, guys like Gwynn and Salmon who played for one team their entire career...I respect that more than chasing the dollar.

It would depend on what it was exactly that I wanted, I guess. The most money regardless of location or how good the team was, or if I was interested in staying with my current team. The latter will limit your options and, subsequently, how much you'll get paid, but you don't need Boras to get that. You hire him if you want the most cash.

My answer is different now than it would have been, say, five years ago. Once upon a time, he got the best deals for his clients. In recent years he has been more prone to misjudge the market, and teams are less gullible and less likely to engage in a bidding war when he bluffs that more teams are suddenly interested.

Why would anyone want their agent to have greater media exposure than them-self?

A competent agent and a slaughter of attorneys will get any player the best deal available.  We will never know the truth but I would wager that Harper's deal at the end of this ridiculous Borass-driven MTV show will not be much different than offers made last month.  Incompetence and arrogance can be parlayed to the general public in many ways to convince the masses that a genius is at work

Representing oneself in negotiations sounds like a fools errand.  At the very least they are going to tell you why you aren’t worth what your asking for.   That can’t possibly lead to a better relationship especially when you factor in the confidence level a professional athlete most maintain.  Also the agent more than likely can’t get you back more than you’d pay the agent.  Not to mention the experience level an agent would have negotiating deal after deal.  You on the other hand would have just personal experience.   

20 hours ago, Second Base said:

I would serve as my own representation.  Teams tend to be more guarded in their valuations and words around players, but are typically brutally honest with agents.  I'd want to sign with a team that sees ways in which I can improve, and is on the West Coast.  If that didn't come around, then I'd want to better understand why, and rather than going through a third party to get this sort of news, I'd want to cut out the middle man and handle it myself. 

Also, no commission. 

Someone who represents them-self in a legal arena has a fool for a client.....so I am told.