Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

The Mystery Team


Dtwncbad

Recommended Posts

Boras and others put out info into the media (hello John Heyman) about there being a mystery team in on some of these large negotiations.

It occurred to me how important it might be for the agent to orchestrate a big signing at least once where the mystery team lands the deal and is a total shock to everyone.

It would validate their "there is a mystery team involved" in future negotiations.

Otherwise teams are never going to believe them.

I am sure there are plenty of times when there is no mystery team.  I get that.

But wouldn't the agents be smart to pull it off for real once?

Right now we know Phils are in on Harper for 10 years, and the report is the Giants and Dodgers are in on shorter deals.  Then we hear there is another mystery team in at over $300m.

In the long run wouldn't it make sense for the player and agent to do a mystery team deal?

Imagine Harper announces today a 10 year deal with the Rangers.

The impact that would have on future negotiations between players and agents would be huge when an agent tells a team there is a mystery team.

I can only imagine how ticked off other owners would be at the one mystery team owner!

These owners are competing with each other but they are also absolutely partners.

That conflicted relationship between owners is pretty fascinating. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Boras is a master manipulator - he's manipulating the narrative in order to drive up Harper's eventual salary. Chances are Bryce has already chosen his team and Boras is just trying to get that extra year or two and/or few million.

Yes I agree.  Just saying if he wants the "mystery team" thing to work at all in the future, he would be smart to at least once orchestrate a deal that happens with a mystery team that is a 100% surprise, especially to the teams that thought they were the highest bidder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Boras and others put out info into the media (hello John Heyman) about there being a mystery team in on some of these large negotiations.

It occurred to me how important it might be for the agent to orchestrate a big signing at least once where the mystery team lands the deal and is a total shock to everyone.

It would validate their "there is a mystery team involved" in future negotiations.

Otherwise teams are never going to believe them.

I am sure there are plenty of times when there is no mystery team.  I get that.

But wouldn't the agents be smart to pull it off for real once?

Right now we know Phils are in on Harper for 10 years, and the report is the Giants and Dodgers are in on shorter deals.  Then we hear there is another mystery team in at over $300m.

In the long run wouldn't it make sense for the player and agent to do a mystery team deal?

Imagine Harper announces today a 10 year deal with the Rangers.

The impact that would have on future negotiations between players and agents would be huge when an agent tells a team there is a mystery team.

I can only imagine how ticked off other owners would be at the one mystery team owner!

These owners are competing with each other but they are also absolutely partners.

That conflicted relationship between owners is pretty fascinating. 

 

There have been plenty of times the player has signed with the mystery team. I think the Angels were the mystery team in on Pujols, for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

I hope Harper is staying in great playing shape, because at this rate he will only have a week or two of ST.

His name isn't Aaron Donald.

At some point, the owners will band together and stop Boras' game.

I am asking sincerely, what is "Boras' game" that needs to be stopped?

He negotiates hard for his clients.  That's his job.

I really don't understand the negativity towards this guy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am asking sincerely, what is "Boras' game" that needs to be stopped?

He negotiates hard for his clients.  That's his job.

I really don't understand the negativity towards this guy.

 

It may be hard work.   It's also disingenius work, that owners are starting to respond to.    Good for them.

Still perplexed that the Padres would give Machado $300 million, a head scratcher.

Neither of them are in the same universe as Trout, from a consistency standpoint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It may be hard work.   It's also disingenius work, that owners are starting to respond to.    Good for them.

Still perplexed that the Padres would give Machado $300 million, a head scratcher.

Neither of them are in the same universe as Trout, from a consistency standpoint.

That just means Trout deserves $600 million, not that Machado doesn't deserve $300.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It may be hard work.   It's also disingenius work, that owners are starting to respond to.    Good for them.

Still perplexed that the Padres would give Machado $300 million, a head scratcher.

Neither of them are in the same universe as Trout, from a consistency standpoint.

But then don't you view the team side of the negotiation as also disingenuous?  I do.  "We can't do that because that is too much, we can't afford that, blag blah" but they don't share any real financials?

Let me put it this way.  I would not tell you that Boras isn't obnoxious and greedy.

But he is the product of the owner's greed and refusal to share financials.

The owners deserve to deal with people like Scott Boras.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I hope Harper is staying in great playing shape, because at this rate he will only have a week or two of ST.

His name isn't Aaron Donald.

At some point, the owners will band together and stop Boras' game.

no, they wont.  Its what they are trying to do now and failing.  They have colluded like hades in recent off season and the top of the line is still getting paid.  Its the mid level guys that are getting screwed, as usual, lol 
Were going to have a labor war that is going to force them to give back years of control... costing them even more money, that is what these years of collusion will have bought them, a complete backfire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I find it laughable how hard Borass needs to work to get Harper the money he thinks he deserves.  Trout's agent simply needs to walk into the front office.  The distance between Trout and Harper is gargantuan.

The distance betweenTrout and Harper is large.  I think everyone agrees with that. If Trout doesn't get a massive amount more than Harper then Trout needs a new agent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dick Enberg said:

Like the Weav said at the time of him signing his deal "how much money does one family need" maybe we should run that same statement by Arte.

 

I notice fans loving the "how much does one family need" angle when it comes to a player but they dont seem to have that same interest in that angle with the owners.

Moreno should sign Bryce Harper.  Yeah he is expensive but how much more money does the Moreno family need?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I notice fans loving the "how much does one family need" angle when it comes to a player but they dont seem to have that same interest in that angle with the owners.

Moreno should sign Bryce Harper.  Yeah he is expensive but how much more money does the Moreno family need?

couldn't agree more! that's what I meant when I said "maybe we should run that same statement by Arte"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I notice fans loving the "how much does one family need" angle when it comes to a player but they dont seem to have that same interest in that angle with the owners.

Moreno should sign Bryce Harper.  Yeah he is expensive but how much more money does the Moreno family need?

Ok if he will accept 5 years and $85 million he will be an Angel.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...