• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Predict the date of Trout's new extension with the Angels

Docwaukee

I can see something getting done just prior to the start of the season, perhaps the day before. 

Now that the the "other guys" have signed, and the bar has been set, it should be easy to get the framework in place. 

I could see him getting an opt-out in four years or so to give the Angels a chance to prove they are committed to winning. If after four years they are still playing games, and signing stop-gaps to one year deals while waiting for the farm to produce, then I don't blame Mike for taking the opt-out. Lets be fair to him. 

14 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Looking forward to what Fletcher has to say about this.  Is Ardaya just interpreting that or did Trout actually say he won’t have his agent negotiate ? 

i mean, what’s she’s reporting isn’t the same as what Ardaya said about not negotiating.

Ardaya just posted a video on twitter, Mike Clearly says no extension now, has two years left, and also says philly fans are great and they will love Harper. 

Mike also mentioned in the video that he spoke with harper yesterday

If harper keeps pushing Mike to go to Philly, is that some form of tampering? 

I know this is a lot of tea leaf reading but if he truly isn't willing to negotiate during this spring training that is a bad sign. If the Angels approach him with a deal around the $400m mark and he refuses it by saying "I dont want to negotiate yet" then I think he is giving you an answer and saying he doesn't want to be here long term. His trade value now is much higher with two years of control left than it will be next offseason and I think you have to explore the idea of trading him sooner rather than later. His market isn't going to improve or decline in the next year, Harper and Machado are his only two "peers" and they've set the market, so there's no reason for him not to sign an extension now if both parties have mutual interest. If his goal is to make it to free agency and go to the highest bidder then the Angels probably won't win that battle anyway and all you'll get is a compensation pick.

The Angels are in a unique position and it would be organizational malpractice not to get as much trade value as you can out of a generational player that you have control of for two more years. Especially if your probable best case scenario is a second wild spot with that player on the roster. 

It’s absolutely a bad sign.  There’s no other way to interpret it.  Now we’ll see what happens if the Angels actually do approach him.   And they better.   For now, this is all talk.  But 100%.  If they approach Trout with a desire offer him a huge extension, and they’re rebuffed because of spring traing.  That is not good for us. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, Angel Oracle said:

11/15/2019, getting too close to the regular season when iirc he prefers not to negotiate during

9 years/$380 million (starting with 2021), and after some thinking, an opt out after 2023.   He's still only 32 at that point.

Looks like I nailed this part, based on Mike's comments.

It seems that we can all agree that the market price has been set, so wouldn't it be in Trout's best interest to extend now? The market cannot go higher for him. In fact, the market could only go lower, especially if he sustains a serious injury.  

This is my take. Arenado re-upped one season before free agency. Trout is two years away.  Sports, as much as anything else, requires you to be present and focused on today. I think this next off season we will know for sure what will happen.  I still think he will re-sign with the Angels. 

I guarantee you if the Angels called Trout's agent with an offer of 10/375 or 12/400 he'd start thinking about it and talking about it with his agent.  What is Trout supposed to say here?  "Now that Machado and Harper got their contracts, I need to get paid!!!"  Come on...it is totally like Mike Trout to say he isn't even thinking about it.

1 minute ago, NJHalo said:

It seems that we can all agree that the market price has been set, so wouldn't it be in Trout's best interest to extend now? The market cannot go higher for him. In fact, the market could only go lower, especially if he sustains a serious injury.  

This is exactly right. It comes down to a personal decision I guess. 

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

Looking forward to what Fletcher has to say about this.  Is Ardaya just interpreting that or did Trout actually say he won’t have his agent negotiate ? 

i mean, what’s she’s reporting isn’t the same as what Ardaya said about not negotiating.

I’m back home for a few days off so I saw the same thing as you guys. 

If he really doesn’t want to talk about an extension now, that’s probably not a good sign. I have no idea how exactly the question was framed and what he said. He did his last extension in spring training.  Maybe he’s just trying to deflect the topic.

I personally don’t understand how it’s a distraction if someone wants to give you $400 million. 

There are plenty of hours in the day away from the ballpark for him to deal with it.