• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Taylor Ward grand slam lifts Angels to victory in Cactus League opener

AngelsWin.com

THE GAME: Taylor Ward hit a grand slam to lead the Angels to a 10-3 victory over the San Francisco Giants in their Cactus League opener on Saturday at Tempe Diablo Stadium.

PITCHING REPORT: Dillon Peters pitched two scoreless innings on 19 pitches, only allowing an infield hit. Peters will likely start the season at Triple-A Salt Lake, but will be a candidate when the Angels need an extra starter. … RH Jake Jewell, RH Jeremy Rhoades and LH Williams Jerez each pitched scoreless innings. Each has an outside shot at cracking the opening day bullpen, but all three are likely to get up at some point in the season. … LH Greg Mahle pitched two innings. Mahle appeared in the majors in 24 games in 2016 and then slipped on the Angels depth chart and is not even in big league camp.

HITTING REPORT: Zack Cozart had a single in his first of two at-bats in his first game since having shoulder surgery last year. “You always have a little butterflies,” Cozart said. “I think it’s been eight months or so since my last at-bat. I’m just trying to get that timing. At third base I felt great. I’m just excited to get back out there.” … The Angels’ first three runs of the game were courtesy of Matt Thaiss, who doubled home two in the first and knocked in one with a single in the fourth. … Jo Adell got his first start in a big league spring training game and went hitless in two at-bats, with a flyout and a double play. Adell, the Angels’ 19-year-old No. 1 prospect, started in center field.

DEFENSE REPORT: Peters quickly bounded off the mound to field a dribbler and made a strong throw to first to get the first out of the game. … SS David Fletcher backed up to field a bouncer and then made a throw over the head of 1B Matt Thaiss. It was ruled an infield hit. … 3B Ward made a nice short-hop stop of a grounder and then started a double play. He also backhanded a roller down the line and got the out at first. Ward had been a catcher 12 months ago, only converting to third late in spring training. … SS Wilfredo Tovar had a popup bounce out of his glove, but 2B Jahmai Jones was standing close enough to grab it.

UP NEXT: Angels (RHP Forrest Snow) vs. Reds (RHP Sal Romano), 12 p.m. PT, Tempe Diablo Stadium; Angels (RHP Jesus Castillo) at Dodgers (Hyun-Jin Ryu), 12 p.m. PT, Camelback Ranch

View the full article