• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I want to buy a dog ASAP

mp170.6

My dad has a big birthday coming up February 27th.  I'd like to get him a dog. 

What are my options on such short notice?  The shelters seem to have a big, long application process and won't let you adopt if the dog is a gift to another person.

This is in Orange County, by the way.

8 hours ago, calscuf said:

Is your dad prepared for a 15 year commitment?  

Are you prepared to find a healthy animal in 6 days that suits your dads needs?  Are you ready to have all the other things needed for a puppy (carrier, pee pads, chew toys, food, collar, leash, food bowl)?

Is your dad ready to deal with training a puppy to potty train/leash walk/socialize?

Does he have the time and energy to walk the dog and or clean poop in the yard for the rest of the dog’s life?

Does he have the financial resources to deal with the dog’s health issues and vaccinations?

I’m not trying to poo poo your plans.  But there is a lot to consider.  Can you give your dad an IOU as a present that says you’re going to assist him in finding a dog ASAP but one that works for him?  Then he could fill out the shelter application.  Help him with the whole process.  It’s a big deal.  He doesn’t need a puppy in a box on his birthday.  He and the dog will be much happier down the road if he’s part of the process.

Yes to all of those things. 

Get him a crate or some dog toys, wrap them up and tell him that the two of you will go find the perfect dog for him.

it’s not the puppy jumping out of the box surprise that goes viral on YouTube, but it’s still a nice gift and then you and your dad get to spend time together looking for the right dog, not the right now dog.

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

BTW we now have a border collie mix and it's been the best dog we've ever owned. They get attached to one owner so if you get one for your dad make sure he realizes that and spends the most time with it and feeds it otherwise it will become mom's dog . 

IMG_20190108_174400.jpg

We have a border collie Shepard mix and she is amazing.  Very smart, nice middle sized dog.  Her latest thing she does that is annoying is go onto our side yard, which is covered in gravel and she finds bunnies and wants to bring them in the house.  At our old house she could open every door in the house and pull the door open or push it open depending on what was needed.  If we didn’t deadbolt the back door, she would go outside jump in the pool and then run back inside.  At the new house we didn’t put those types of door handles on the doors.  Ellie is her name and she needs constant stimulation, and likes to “herd” the cats and other dogs.    

On 2/22/2019 at 5:50 AM, gotbeer said:

I believe, and might be wrong, but one of the new CA laws this year was that dogs for sale at places like Petsmart and such have to come from shelters.  

We don't have such a law AFAIK, but local PetsMarts have had regular adoption events with the local animal shelter for years.

On 2/21/2019 at 9:23 PM, mp170.6 said:

My dad has a big birthday coming up February 27th.  I'd like to get him a dog. 

What are my options on such short notice?  The shelters seem to have a big, long application process and won't let you adopt if the dog is a gift to another person.

This is in Orange County, by the way.

@mp170.6 does your dad have a fenced in yard? Does he want a great companion dog and guard dog?

I have an Anatolian Shepherd (Turkish Shepherd) and I just love the breed. Here is Archie at howling and playing in the snow a couple weeks ago. He's 18 weeks old. 

If you're interested I can let you know more about the breed, but they're basically a Turkish Mastiff and Turkish Greyhound as they were bred for power and speed to fend off wolves and bear in Anatolia, what is what we know as the country Turkey.

1 hour ago, calscuf said:

There’s a point, probably between beers 9-10 that all the noise of the world becomes silent, everything around me becomes brighter, sharper... important.  At that point, my mind is able to focus and my thoughts become rational and exceptionally lucid.  

Some days I use this window to write music, paint or engage in deep legal contemplation.  That night I used that time to lecture this dude about rushing into getting a dog for his dad.

It’s quite a simple explanation, actually.

We gotta hit up a game this year. You buying your mini pack again?