• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LAT: Arte Moreno says he is interested in purchasing Fox Sports outlets

Dollar Bill

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-spring-training-20190218-story.html

Within the story: 

The Angels have not made the postseason in five years and have not won a postseason game in 10 years. Even with Trout, widely regarded as the best player in baseball, the Angels have posted three consecutive losing seasons, for the first time since 1992-94.

They have sold at least 3 million tickets every year since Moreno bought the team in 2003 — only the New York Yankees can match that streak — and he said he did not want to ask those fans to watch a tanking team.

“The fans have been so loyal,” he said. “I didn’t want to say, OK, I’m going to tear this thing down and save some money and rebuild it. I said, let’s try to stay as competitive as we can as we go through the transition.”

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

Was thinking the exact same thing. But I imagine its already being worked out in terms of what replaces it. Like to simply have the app will probably still pay down the road.

Sure it will pay, but they are gona lose out on that money from casual fans and those people who don't give a shit but still pay for cable. Im pretty sure FSW is on the basic tier, which means they collect a fee from every subscriber whether they watch or not. 

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Seems like an awful time to get further in to the cable television business.

I would agree but billionaires tend to think about opportunities beyond today.  Artie is a smart guy; I would put money on this venture that he makes money.  After all, some analysts thought he overpaid for the Angels if I remember correctly.

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I would agree but billionaires tend to think about opportunities beyond today.  Artie is a smart guy; I would put money on this venture that he makes money.  After all, some analysts thought he overpaid for the Angels if I remember correctly.

Obviously there is always money to be made if the price is right. 

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think it's about rights to games regardless of how they are shown.  

That's an interesting way of looking at it. The Angels single biggest revenue driver is the payment they get from FSW, who bought the rights to the games for $3b. If Arte buys FSW then he essentially is buying them back, but he ends up being responsible for that $3b liability to himself. In a way he is tearing that deal up.

As part of the original deal he became a part owner in FSW (something like 20%) and Im guessing he's gotten a close look at that business and believes he is trading up. Let's not forget that his original goal was to create his own RSN around the Angels, but ultimately had to settle for the FSN contract. In the past teams have used these to prevent television revenues from ending up in the league revenue sharing pool.

So all signs point to Arte following the guide to successful sports ownership from the year 2000, but where is the benefit when there is still 20+ years on the tv deal? Or maybe he is more savvy than I want to give him credit for... Maybe as part owner of FSN he is completely aware of the dangers of cord cutting and online streaming to his cable revenue stream. Maybe he sees the impending bubble burst as an opportunity to rewrite the deal at a much smaller amount, centered around the economics of the shift towards streaming. Such a deal could potentially keep millions from ending up in the revenue sharing pot.

I am wondering if Fox Sports Las Vegas is on the horizon. With the Golden Knights already established, the Raiders coming next year, and the pretty much foregone conclusion that some NBA team will call the Strip home in the near future, keeping local sports on the Los Angeles area Fox Sports Network will be a little crowded.

10 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

That's an interesting way of looking at it. The Angels single biggest revenue driver is the payment they get from FSW, who bought the rights to the games for $3b. If Arte buys FSW then he essentially is buying them back, but he ends up being responsible for that $3b liability to himself. In a way he is tearing that deal up.

As part of the original deal he became a part owner in FSW (something like 20%) and Im guessing he's gotten a close look at that business and believes he is trading up. Let's not forget that his original goal was to create his own RSN around the Angels, but ultimately had to settle for the FSN contract. In the past teams have used these to prevent television revenues from ending up in the league revenue sharing pool.

So all signs point to Arte following the guide to successful sports ownership from the year 2000, but where is the benefit when there is still 20+ years on the tv deal? Or maybe he is more savvy than I want to give him credit for... Maybe as part owner of FSN he is completely aware of the dangers of cord cutting and online streaming to his cable revenue stream. Maybe he sees the impending bubble burst as an opportunity to rewrite the deal at a much smaller amount, centered around the economics of the shift towards streaming. Such a deal could potentially keep millions from ending up in the revenue sharing pot.

the article insinuates that the team could lose air time if FSN and PT are sold to larger conglomerates.  So a fair amount of this is about control as much as it is money.  Arte understands ad revenue for sure.  A lack of visibility is a death blow for any sports franchise.  

I am sure there would be opportunities to share space with other sports teams as well.  

15 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Sure it will pay, but they are gona lose out on that money from casual fans and those people who don't give a shit but still pay for cable. Im pretty sure FSW is on the basic tier, which means they collect a fee from every subscriber whether they watch or not. 

Nope, you have to pay for the extended sports package on FIOS.

14 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think it's about rights to games regardless of how they are shown.  

Problem is, the Angels only have limited ways that they can show the games.  TV and radio are I believed considered their domain, IE local areas.  But if blackouts ever get lifted.  And they might, with all the fights against it in the MLB and other sports.  Then cable will essentially become dead.  I believe MLB have both international and internet/streaming/other technology rights.  

13 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I am wondering if Fox Sports Las Vegas is on the horizon. With the Golden Knights already established, the Raiders coming next year, and the pretty much foregone conclusion that some NBA team will call the Strip home in the near future, keeping local sports on the Los Angeles area Fox Sports Network will be a little crowded.

What is the Golden Knights shown on?  I've always wondered, and never bothered to look up, who they signed their broadcast rights with.