• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Unconfirmed Rumor: Trout discussing extension with Angels (8 years, 350-375 million)

rafibomb

It seems like there are a number of factors coming into play here. Does he believe the Angels will win? Does he want to sign with an East Coast team? Would signing this deal leave millions on the table he would have gotten in free agency? Does he want to be a free agent, some enjoy that experience, some don't. Will the MLBPA be frustrated with him for not entering FA and forcing MLB owners to pony up? Or would pMLBPA be relieved he doesn't go into FA and hold up the market the way current stars are? Could this possibly be an olive branch between owners and MLBPA for an owners to be willing to spend on the right players and refuse to tank? And finally, does Mike Trout want to be an Angel for the rest of his career, or at least up to age 37?

It's a lot to think about, and if I were him, I'd wait to see what Harper and Machado get still, and wait to see if the Angels start w in bing more ball games, see if he likes playing for Ausmus.

39 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Sounds like a fair deal.  Mike Trout is not setting the market for anyone but Mike Trout.

I hope Trout signs his extension before Harper and Machado........

This right here. Mike Trout is his own market. You can't compare Harper and Machado to him. They can however help set his market once they sign, but honestly give Trout 40 million a year.

You know, im going to get railed for this but so be it...
This is basically giving 25%ish of payroll budget, to one player... am I the only one a tad bit concerned about this idea? 
Our hands are tied to make significant upgrades now and we will need to do so when we are ready to compete as we are still completely void at certain positions. 
Is this really in the best interest of the club?  Can a team with limited means really afford this?
Im not sure i believe any player is worth this kind of money.  

14 minutes ago, floplag said:

This is basically giving 25%ish of payroll budget, to one player... am I the only one a tad bit concerned about this idea? 
Our hands are tied to make significant upgrades now and we will need to do so when we are ready to compete as we are still completely void at certain positions. 
Is this really in the best interest of the club?  Can a team with limited means really afford this?

Again, I don't care as long as it doesn't curtail us  getting any other free agents. If so, it may be counterproductive.

24 minutes ago, floplag said:

That is why it is important to build up the farm system.  Yes it is a lot, but we are talking about Mike Fricken Trout.  Build up the roster with cheap labor and pay Trout to be the center piece. 

Edited by jordan

5 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Again, I don't care as long as it doesn't curtail us  getting any other free agents. If so, it may be counterproductive.

Thats just it, we are already there today. 
Even if you take away Albert it doesn't leave significant funds within budget to make quality acquisitions. 
Trouts extension at this levels eats up nearly a large part of those savings leaving only about 20 M or so on top of that and thats also about how much we may have stretched.   Wheres the extra coming from?

24 minutes ago, floplag said:

lol

1 minute ago, floplag said:

obviously, but the farm isnt enough. 

Yes, but that is the way to absorb the salary of Trout.  And yes, it is a huge portion of the payroll on one player.  But as other's have said, Trout is already the highest paid player in baseball and if/when extended, it will only be an increase of $4-$10 million to Angels payroll.

22 minutes ago, floplag said:

It's a fair question because that's a shit ton of money for a long time.  

One thing I think we'll see is escalating AAVs for the high end players.  So in a couple of years, that AAV won't look too bad.  

If there is one player truly worth that kind of money, it's Trout.  He's actually worth more than that in terms of on field value.  

He's an 8-9 win player.  A couple of 4-5 win players stand to make 30+ mil per for that same amount of time.  

No one knows what will happen 6 or 7 years from now, but Trout is a pretty good player to bet on because of his skill set.