• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Angels Spring Training News & Gameday Thread

Chuck

22 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think Cozart should start the year at 2b.  I didn't like his 3b D at all last year but he looked solid at 2b to start the year.  

To be fair -- that may be why they are going to give him reps at 3B....   Because he did look better at 2B than he did at third.   Ward can still press the issue IMO.

I dont understand how people can think that Ward will be able to break camp and be an option at third, barring an injury setback to either Fletcher or Cozart. The guy actually hit worse in September against September call ups. What could he have done between now and then that would generate this kind of consideration?

Even if he has an unbelievable spring (when pitchers are really just working on pitches, not trying that hard to get guys out), the guy starts the season in AAA. He has work to do on his swing, his fielding, etc. 

Fack et cetera, what else is there, besides those two traits, for a third sacker?

7 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I dont understand how people can think that Ward will be able to break camp and be an option at third, barring an injury setback to either Fletcher or Cozart. The guy actually hit worse in September against September call ups. What could he have done between now and then that would generate this kind of consideration?

Even if he has an unbelievable spring (when pitchers are really just working on pitches, not trying that hard to get guys out), the guy starts the season in AAA. He has work to do on his swing, his fielding, etc. 

Fack et cetera, what else is there, besides those two traits, for a third sacker?

Was his first cup of coffee. Trout 's first cup wasn't all that great either. both had the exact number of ab's. They both walked 9 times. Ward hit more homers.

13 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

It’s more about what he might do in spring training.   He just has to beat out Fletcher.  

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

And that had zero to do with his performance in 2011.  

Says the hamburger guy to the retiree in Mexico. 

Did you write the note from him mum in April, saying "Mikey can't play in the big leagues right now, he's sick.But traveling the PCL circuit by bus and plane would be fine for his virus!"

He still needed 100 PAs in SLC in 2012, according to someone in the ORGANIZATION. 

They had an overload in the OF that year. They had  salaries they weren't going to sit, without cause. Abreu. Wells. It was a numbers game as much as anything. He came up when they released Abreu in late April.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

Says the hamburger guy to the retiree in Mexico. 

Did you write the note from him mum in April, saying "Mikey can't play in the big leagues right now, he's sick.But traveling the PCL circuit by bus and plane would be fine for his virus!"

He still needed 100 PAs in SLC in 2012, according to someone in the ORGANIZATION. 

They had an overload in the OF that year. They had  salaries they weren't going to sit, without cause. Abreu. Wells. It was a numbers game as much as anything. He came up when they released Abreu in late April.

No you condescending jackass, he needed to get his strength back. He was sick and the reports were he lost 10 lbs during spring because of his sickness.  He didn’t really play in the spring, so he got his reps in the minors for the first few weeks.  

23 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Fletcher looked better at 2B, than Ward did at 3B, so I would expect Cozart to play 3B at least at first...

Ha.  Think Fletcher looked better at 3rd than Cozart.  Cozart should start at 2B and let the battle at 3B run its course.  Either way Fletcher makes the 25.  

"Mike Trout showed up in spring training in 2012 with a mysterious illness. He had lost 15 pounds and was too weak to play in the initial Cactus League games. The Angels described the illness as a type of flu bug or virus. Trout was taking medication although doctors could not pinpoint the exact condition, after ruling out a thyroid disorder or Valley Fever. The result was that his chances of making the big league team shrank to nothing, and he was assigned to the AAA Salt Lake Bees to start the season."

6 hours ago, Lou said:

"Mike Trout showed up in spring training in 2012 with a mysterious illness. He had lost 15 pounds and was too weak to play in the initial Cactus League games. The Angels described the illness as a type of flu bug or virus. Trout was taking medication although doctors could not pinpoint the exact condition, after ruling out a thyroid disorder or Valley Fever. The result was that his chances of making the big league team shrank to nothing, and he was assigned to the AAA Salt Lake Bees to start the season."

Dude had an historic rookie season, despite being very weak from the illness to start ST.

Let that sink in.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:57 PM, Dochalo said:

I think Cozart should start the year at 2b.  I didn't like his 3b D at all last year but he looked solid at 2b to start the year.  

Small sample size, but Cozart hit very well when playing 2B as well. 
As 2B: .266/.333/.438/.771 in 72 PA
As 3B: .212/.286/.356/.642 in 133 PA
As SS: .167/.271/.262/.533 in 48 PA

His poor line as SS sort of tanks this theory, but again, small sample size in play, perhaps playing up the middle he felt a lot comfortable defensively and was able to hit better as a result. 

14 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I'm not going to cull up all the data I looked through last year, but there were some encouraging signs with Ward. If I'm remembering correctly, he tended to watch a lot of strikes go by and wound up behind in the count quite often, but still had good contact/power numbers despite the measly slash. 

Being that he was always a patient hitter in the minors with good discipline, the evidence tended to suggest he brought that approach to the bigs - but unlike the minors, MLB pitchers had no problem whatsoever attacking the rookie hitter while painting the corners much more consistently than what he was accustomed to. As a result, he'd try the same approach that lifted him in the minors, but instead of working the count he'd be in the hole quickly. Kaleb Cowart had the same problem - but Kaleb Cowart was swinging at everything to lead to an 0-2 or 1-2 count, whereas Taylor was watching them go by and then having to fight back. His meager slash wasn't the result of him being overmatched in my eyes, but a player simply adjusting to the bigs and learning on the spot.

I'm optimistic that having another season away from catcher, and the obvious work he's been doing in the cage, is going to lead to a much improved Ward, and while I'd prefer he go to AAA and get some reps at a couple other positions to increase his versatility, he shouldn't be ruled out as having a real shot at the Opening Day 3B. He could quickly turn into a .265/.325/.425/.750 guy, and if that comes with decent defense, a few stolen bases, and 10-15 HRs in his rookie campaign, it'd be a big win for a guy who was almost written off going into 2018.

I've been one of the biggest David Fletcher fans here for years, but I realize his upside is limited. Ward brings a significantly higher ceiling, and if he's showing any signs of realizing that this spring, he needs to get the first shot at regular playing time.

Edited by totdprods