• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No more "Disabled List"

Dtwncbad

14 minutes ago, 19HALO71 said:

What about women and their bra sizes? Get rid of it!!

idk man, some letters get a better rap from that than other places, it might unfairly affect them.
I mean getting a D is school is a bad thing but in this case maybe not so much.  
Some of this you kinda have to put in perspective and balance the ledger

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

MLB has decided to no longer use that name because a special interest group lobbied them to stop using the word "disabled". . . Evidently because they feel it makes people confuse injuries with permanent disabilities, and they also don't like that it suggests that people with disabilities cannot participate in sports.

So now MLB will call it the "Injured List."

This is one of those double stupid things.

1). It wasn't a problem before as the disabled list.  Context.  Language has context.  If anything we should be promoting people developing the ability to understand context.

2). The solution to the non problem is AT LEAST as "inappropriate" from a simple definition of injured.  Not every olayer that went on the DL was injured.  Vertigo.  Migraines.  Staph infection.  Recovering from wisdom teeth surgury.  So this new "Injured" name really doesn't make sense.

Let me ask one simple question.

Have you or anyone you know ever "confused disabilities with injuries and further the thinking that a disability means someone cannot play a sport"?

What's next?

Change the name shortstop (an infielder not assigned to a specific base) because we don't want anyone being confused that short people cannot handle specific assignments in society?

Rename bullpen.  Animal rights people don't like the suggested acceptance of animals to contained areas?

Do not ever refer to any player ever being on the "mound."  Don't even go there. #metoo.

No more "relief" pitchers.  Those with chronic pain are simply tortured with being exposed to the word when it is something they cannot achieve in dealing with their condition.  Very insensitive.

Please rename home run.  The homeless?? Duh.

No more saves.  Some people are not saved from natural disasters or drowning, etc.  And then obviously no more blown saves since that is particularly painful for anyone who was almost saved.

Why have we lost the interest in keeping CONTEXT as an important part of our language and ability to communicate?

(Oh and I am deeply sorry and apologize for using the word "conTEXT" to anyone who has had their vocal chords removed and are now forced to communicate in writing only or "text")

The time is here that society needs to tell the PC people to go F*** themselves

2 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

It's a stupid change but really, who cares?

It will have zero effect on anything.

Lots of people care, apparently. They are inexplicably against being sensitive to the mere preferences of groups that are unfortunately marginalized. 

First of all, this change is totally the MLB's prerogative.  Second of all, it couldn't be less consequential.

The amount of energy people spend being outraged at things that have literally no impact on anyone is incredible.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

MLB has decided to no longer use that name because a special interest group lobbied them to stop using the word "disabled". . . Evidently because they feel it makes people confuse injuries with permanent disabilities, and they also don't like that it suggests that people with disabilities cannot participate in sports.

You'd have to be retarded to think like this...

1 minute ago, VariousCrap said:

Honestly, it is hilarious to me that people would be upset with this change.  If it makes disabled people feel better, then that is a good thing.  This change doesn't hurt the game in anyway, so why should it make anyone upset?

its just never ending CRAP! maybe next week it will be "injured" cause it sounds to much like "Injun" and the Native Americans will be upset. Maybe its just me. I just don't get it. and you know what? I'm considered disabled!

12 minutes ago, Dick Enberg said:

its just never ending CRAP! maybe next week it will be "injured" cause it sounds to much like "Injun" and the Native Americans will be upset. Maybe its just me. I just don't get it. and you know what? I'm considered disabled!

The fact that this upsets you so much says more about you than it does the change.

5 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

The fact that this upsets you so much says more about you than it does the change.

who said I was upset? I just don't really understand it. this isn't an isolated incident. it happens, more and more. I actually find it comical. to each his own I guess.