• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No more "Disabled List"

Dtwncbad

MLB has decided to no longer use that name because a special interest group lobbied them to stop using the word "disabled". . . Evidently because they feel it makes people confuse injuries with permanent disabilities, and they also don't like that it suggests that people with disabilities cannot participate in sports.

So now MLB will call it the "Injured List."

This is one of those double stupid things.

1). It wasn't a problem before as the disabled list.  Context.  Language has context.  If anything we should be promoting people developing the ability to understand context.

2). The solution to the non problem is AT LEAST as "inappropriate" from a simple definition of injured.  Not every olayer that went on the DL was injured.  Vertigo.  Migraines.  Staph infection.  Recovering from wisdom teeth surgury.  So this new "Injured" name really doesn't make sense.

Let me ask one simple question.

Have you or anyone you know ever "confused disabilities with injuries and further the thinking that a disability means someone cannot play a sport"?

What's next?

Change the name shortstop (an infielder not assigned to a specific base) because we don't want anyone being confused that short people cannot handle specific assignments in society?

Rename bullpen.  Animal rights people don't like the suggested acceptance of animals to contained areas?

Do not ever refer to any player ever being on the "mound."  Don't even go there. #metoo.

No more "relief" pitchers.  Those with chronic pain are simply tortured with being exposed to the word when it is something they cannot achieve in dealing with their condition.  Very insensitive.

Please rename home run.  The homeless?? Duh.

No more saves.  Some people are not saved from natural disasters or drowning, etc.  And then obviously no more blown saves since that is particularly painful for anyone who was almost saved.

Why have we lost the interest in keeping CONTEXT as an important part of our language and ability to communicate?

(Oh and I am deeply sorry and apologize for using the word "conTEXT" to anyone who has had their vocal chords removed and are now forced to communicate in writing only or "text")

All sarcasm aside, would any of this actually surprise you at this point?

However you forgot a few....
-Change the WAR stat, it promotes violence. 
-Rename fist base, it implies the others are inferior.
-Left/right field imply political alignment therefore they must be called angel and bigot, im sure we all know which is which.
-i had one about bunts, but noone does that anymore anyway so who cares. 
-stolen bases must now be referred to as undocumented borrowing, and the closest fielder is charged and error because of course the person who stole it cant be at fault. 
-the rosen bag must now be square is form due to its otherwise phallic resemblance to nutsack and male oppressiveness.   
-for that matter we can no longer refer to the ball as a ball due to patriarchal bias, it must now be referred to as the .... honestly i dont know what the F*ck to call it but it cant be a ball. 
-slapping another player on the butt is now punishable under sexual harassment.
- and of course you must now get a players permissions before tagging them in any way shape or form.

That's so dumb. Good luck changing the definition of short term disability as defined by the insurance world.

Short-term disability insurance pays a percentage of your salary if you become temporarily disabled, meaning that you are not able to work for a short period of time due to sickness or injury

When I first read this, I thought we were kidding.  So stupid.  And by stupid, I don't mean to inflict emotional or psychological pain upon those identifying themselves as part of the "stupid" population, as is their constitutional right.  As we're beginning to see, stupidity may be by birth, and not by choice, and I think we should have a parade and specific flag to fight for the rights of all stupids.  Also, I feel that bathrooms should now include a stupid designation so that they are available for use to those that aren't part of the intelligent population. 

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I fully understand and respect your position here. . .

But just asking, is there any amount of this that would annoy you?

I’m sure there’s a level and I love a good rant as much as anyone but to me this is more amusing than annoying since it’s actually less accurate. I get more annoyed by ever changing corporate stadium names and intentional walks without throwing a pitch

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

When I first read this, I thought we were kidding.  So stupid.  And by stupid, I don't mean to inflict emotional or psychological pain upon those identifying themselves as part of the "stupid" population, as is their constitutional right.  As we're beginning to see, stupidity may be by birth, and not by choice, and I think we should have a parade and specific flag to fight for the rights of all stupids.  Also, I feel that bathrooms should now include a stupid designation so that they are available for use to those that aren't part of the intelligent population. 

-Dont eat the big white mint?     oh wait sorry cant say white it autotriggers some, mint privilege and all... and of course cant say pigment challenged as that wouldn't be fair.   how about large light reflecting circular object?  wait no to intellectual.   hands out of the toilet?  wait no some dont have hands...   a person can legit go crazy trying to figure this shit out