Sign in to follow this  
BackUpTheTruck

AOC Thread

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I tried using the train to work. I had to change from Amtrak to Metro Rail at Unuon station then two stops later change Metro lines. In all it took 2 hours to get to my destination 40 miles from home and that didn't included driving to and from the rail station. Not convenient, cost efficient or enjoyable.

Did you try a plane? 

55 minutes ago, Adam said:

Trains are gay unless they're taking you to Del Mar

I remember that trip to Del Mar we took.  That ride was gay.  Hour late, and standing room only.

26 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I tried using the train to work. I had to change from Amtrak to Metro Rail at Unuon station then two stops later change Metro lines. In all it took 2 hours to get to my destination 40 miles from home and that didn't included driving to and from the rail station. Not convenient, cost efficient or enjoyable.

Yep, this.  WE are no built around this for commuter purposes, its really that simple.   Unless you happen to live right near a station and your desitination is the same, it becomes far more hassle than benefit.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Trains are gay unless they're taking you to Del Mar

you wasted an opportunity to use your patented 6 guys doing 9 guys metaphor.

jerk.

I don’t think a bunch of dudes from OC and LA are really the experts on public transportation.  We totally lack any real public transport options and our brains think cars are the only real option.

The western US is really too big for long distance trains to be a viable option, but it’s stupid that LA, OC, IE and S.D. aren’t connected by a practical public transport system.  And the eastern US could be linked as well as Europe.

Speaking of which, nobody wants to ask me about the Tirol?

1 hour ago, RallyMo said:

Did you try a plane? 

If i owned one it would be much faster. Brackett airport is a much shorter distance to my houuse than the Amtrack station and Santa Monica airport is only two miles from work so I could take a bike and still beat the train. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Yep, this.  WE are no built around this for commuter purposes, its really that simple.   Unless you happen to live right near a station and your desitination is the same, it becomes far more hassle than benefit.

The Metro from downtown to Santa Monica runs down Figueroa followimg traffic and stopping at streetlights. It literally take 40 minutes for it to travel about 13 miles. It is absolutely a complete failure in design.

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If i owned one it would be much faster. Brackett airport is a much shorter distance to my houuse than the Amtrack station and Santa Monica airport is only two miles from work so I could take a bike and still beat the train. 

Man, that's a lot of words for "no." 

20 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Metro from downtown to Santa Monica runs down Figueroa followimg traffic and stopping at streetlights. It literally take 40 minutes for it to travel about 13 miles. It is absolutely a complete failure in design.

In every possible way, thats precisely the route i tried to use when i was commuting from the AV to SM. 
In my case it actually took nearly an hour and 15 minutes, and that was after the train ride that took about as long as it would have to just drive it.  In the end it was almost an hour less efficient.
Not to mention the ride back to the station in west LA traffic at the end of the day was such that i barely made the last train out of there. 
Were simply not built for mass transit in the west. 

33 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Yeah, the Metro did poorly on that one.  

But the red and purple lines are absolute dreams.  I can go from Wilshire/Western and be in Union Station in 10 minutes.  And the subway is usually never late and stays on schedule. 

Gold line I don't mind either.  It has limited crossings.  And can get me from Union Station to Arcadia in 45 minutes.  Still longer than if you drive.  But it's still a viable option at least.  

10 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Yeah, the Metro did poorly on that one.  

But the red and purple lines are absolute dreams.  I can go from Wilshire/Western and be in Union Station in 10 minutes.  And the subway is usually never late and stays on schedule. 

Gold line I don't mind either.  It has limited crossings.  And can get me from Union Station to Arcadia in 45 minutes.  Still longer than if you drive.  But it's still a viable option at least.  

Yes, but have you tried taking a plane instead? 

4 hours ago, floplag said:

In every possible way, thats precisely the route i tried to use when i was commuting from the AV to SM. 
In my case it actually took nearly an hour and 15 minutes, and that was after the train ride that took about as long as it would have to just drive it.  In the end it was almost an hour less efficient.
Not to mention the ride back to the station in west LA traffic at the end of the day was such that i barely made the last train out of there. 
Were simply not built for mass transit in the west. 

The engineering was shit. It should have been either a subway or elevated mono rail. What they created was another traffic clog. 

39 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The engineering was shit. It should have been either a subway or elevated mono rail. What they created was another traffic clog. 

Thats all they have ever done.  when have you seen LA actually spend on infrastructure?  Christ there are parts of the 5 that still drop to 2 lanes, how does that make any reasonable sense.

Since money is not an issue with the Green New Deal (thanks rich people) why don't we just build skyways like in Back to the Future? It eliminates the need for railways so there's no need to steal folks' land. There's a lot more room in the sky. We are building a utopia right?

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Since money is not an issue with the Green New Deal (thanks rich people) why don't we just build skyways like in Back to the Future? It eliminates the need for railways so there's no need to steal folks' land. There's a lot more room in the sky. We are building a utopia right?

Good idea !

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

I honestly can’t think of a worse place to go then any political rally.  Just a great way to get yourself surrounded by psychopaths. 

This!! Do these people not have anything better to do with their lives? I can't believe people even care that much. When I was about 7 or 8 I got to see Reagan's inaugural parade in DC and that is about as close to a political rally that I've gotten to.