• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Major changes to MLB reportedly discussed by Manfred, MLBPA

WeatherWonk

I think I have lost my interest in the DH argument.  The purist in me says I hate it but the realist in me says the DH in the NL is basically inevitable so accept and move on.

The more important battle to fight us game length.  Way way too long.  Way too much dead tinlme.  Too many pitching changes and hitters spending 39 seconds between pitches fixing their gloves.

The umpires have to force it.  I don't want an actual clock.  I want umpires to be empowered to drive the pace.  Warn them verbally they have 10 seconds to throw a pitch or 5 seconds to he ready to hit otherwise a ball or strike is called as a penalty, including potentially strike 3 or ball four.  This time would be purely subjective to the umpire, not challengable!  (Obviously if an umpire abuses it they would be disciplined or fired just like if they abused other judgement calls).  We give umpires pure discretion in throwing out an arguing manager.  I am fine letting them drive the pace as well.  It would work itself out.

Three pickoff throws max during any hitters at bat (reset if runner steals to next base).  This seven tosses to first to "keep him close" is ridiculous.  If you are not picking them off on any if the first three pickoff attempts then they are already being kept close and you are just wasting time.  If you burn all three pick off attempts, yes you are screwed.  So don't do it.  Throw over there once or twice, then work fast to the hitter.  Once you have thrown to first twice, then it is basically "full count" between the pitcher and the runner.  Does he try to pick him off this one last time?  Now the runner actually might take an even larger lead because the pitcher has more risk in this 3rd pickoff throw.  Added drama AND faster pace.

And I know it is ambitious but they have to tackle the time between innings.  I get it.  It has to do with commercial time.  But here is the reality.  I am not watching as many games if the game takes 4 hours or I am just watching all 4 hours.  We have other shit to do.

So cut the time between innings to One minute, 5 seconds!  That's it.  (Commercial break now is 2 min, 5 seconds). It's play ball after one minute five seconds and now we are back to the umpire having the authority to call ball one if the pitcher now wastes another 30 seconds kicking dirt around. And if this means I have a Pepsi logo scrolling in a ribbon across the bottom of my screen then so be it.

They have got to cut a half hour out of these games. . .

7 minutes ago, ScottT said:

It's odd that people that spend time in message boards like this are concerned with shaving off 7 minutes per game

I am also open to reducing the amount of time between the end of the world series and opening day.

January and February dead tine produces this!

Bored!

Hot take / huge rule change proposal:

Eliminate the trade deadline...

Put two weeks between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs...

This proposal rebrands the post season as it's own stand-alone, Champions League style tournament, restoring the regular season to it's former prominence. The two week gap would make for some intense hot stove action with big names traded, and the talent level of the playoffs significantly increasing.

I didn’t read through all this, but my 2 cents....

Instead of a 3-batter rule, only X mid-inning pitching changes per game. I am thinking 2. 

Now it’s more of a floating thing and it adds another layer of strategy, on when to use it. If you want to use them both in one inning, go ahead.

I’d also drop mound visits to about 3. 

Fine on the roster changes. Fine on the DH in the NL.

I also like getting rid of some commercial time and throwing more picture-in-picture commercials during the innings, at slow points between hitters. 

And let’s go back to enforcing the rule from a couple years ago about hitters staying in the box.

Oh, and this is my way out of the box, never gonna happen idea...

One time a game, a manager can flip flop players in his batting order. 

Youd know Mike Trout would always get to hit in the 9th inning. Of course the other team could still walk him, and then he’s stuck in his new spot, so you’d have to really think through when you’d do it. 

And if he came up in his regular spot in the 9th inning and they walked him? Just swap him then into the next spot and he’s still up! 

This would be way more exciting than double switching for the pitchers spot, without having a pitcher in the lineup. 

On February 8, 2019 at 9:44 AM, Dtwncbad said:

I am also open to reducing the amount of time between the end of the world series and opening day.

January and February dead tine produces this!

Bored!

yeah, it would be great to watch a game at Wrigley right now 

I heard on MLB radio this week about a discussion between some baseball writer (didnt catch his/her name) and the former agent-rep-turned-GM for the Mets, Brodie Van Wagenen. Basically, the writer asked him how he could justify taking on Cano's contract, given how back-loaded it was. The writer basically said that it doesnt make any sense; given that Cano is now in the NL and there is no DH. Van Wagenen stated that he expects the DH to be in the NL well before the end of Cano's contract.