• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Source: Bryce Harper picks a club

Taylor

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Remember when Harper was going to surpass Trout?

Harper's a really good player, but has settled in as a 4-5 WAR guy - a lesser star at best. Might be the most overrated player in baseball.

Any talk of him being on Trout's level has really been dead for about 5 years now. Harper started off in 2016 where he left off in 2015 and then the series where Maddon walked the guy six times in a game started his downfall and people were making that excuse of him being walked a lot as the reason for the guy as to why he had stopped hitting. Trout gets walked a lot and he is still a superstar as a hitter. Harper in 2015 was like what Betts was in 2018, a hitter who has a fluky hitting season. Many people have been saying that Betts is no doubt the second best player in all of baseball. Was he ever really the second best player in MLB? Since 2016, when he was runner-up to Trout in the AL MVP voting, there has been guys who people might put ahead of him at some point like Altuve (don't get too offended, I cheated back during my years of education and didn't get caught multiple times), Scherzer, deGrom, Kluber (pitched at a superstar level for three straight years from 2016-2018, including an ERA+ over 200 (!) in 2017), and Yelich.  I'm not even going to put Donaldson's 2015 season down as a fluke because he was still a great hitter in 2016. A case could be made that Donaldson was better in 2016 than he was in 2015. His 2016 OBP was better than it was in 2015, as was his OPS and OPS+. Trout posted an OPS+ of 168, 179, 168, 173, 186, 198, and 185 (Baseball Reference now has him at 180 for some reason that I can't say) from 2012-2019, which is outstanding. Yeah, Trout's greatness is there every single season since 2012. 

Trout's going to remain the clear-cut best player in all of baseball, which he's been since after 2013 until someone can be better than than him for about 2-3 years. Or Trout finally has that one "bad season" where he puts up something like a .270/.360/.510 slash line while another player has another great season, especially with the bat.