• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Source: Bryce Harper picks a club

Taylor

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

How are they holding up the off season?  The 2019 regular season will go on regardless of what Harper, Machado or any other players do.

I think for us it is the opinion that Trout is waiting to see the contracts they get before extending his.

Why discuss a baseline when the extension talk as far as we know hasn't occurred?  If he doesn't sign an extension this year is Nolan Arenado holding the Angels off season hostage if he doesn't sign right away next off season?  Kind of seems like putting the cart before the horse but I realize it's getting close to the start of spring training and not much else is going on.

10 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Why discuss a baseline when the extension talk as far as we know hasn't occurred?  If he doesn't sign an extension this year is Nolan Arenado holding the Angels off season hostage if he doesn't sign right away next off season?  Kind of seems like putting the cart before the horse but I realize it's getting close to the start of spring training and not much else is going on.

For sure but it isn't like we just started discussing this point.  

22 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Because noooo other head of a FA class (going back to 1976) has eeeeever waited this long to sign. 

And to top it off, TWO players are doing it.

JD Martinez was the top bat on the market last year and arguably the top FA while he didn't sign until February 19th.  I think Machado/Harper not being signed is a combination of teams not wanting to give out ridiculous contracts like we've seen in the past coupled with the fact that players thought they'd be getting long term big contracts. 

Machado and Harper are so far above rest of the class that what they sign for will have no affect on what other free agents get. It's not like a GM is going to say:

"well, Player X, Machado only got $28M/yr so we're going to offer $5.5M instead of $6.2M"

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Machado and Harper are so far above rest of the class that what they sign for will have no affect on what other free agents get. It's not like a GM is going to say:

"well, Player X, Machado only got $28M/yr so we're going to offer $5.5M instead of $6.2M"

I think the point is that it isnt the money thats affecting it, its the options.  Whoever loses out on Machado will be in on Moustakis for example... its a cascading affect. 

25 minutes ago, floplag said:

I think the point is that it isnt the money thats affecting it, its the options.  Whoever loses out on Machado will be in on Moustakis for example... its a cascading affect. 

I'm guessing there are about 27 or 28 teams that already know they're not going to sign Machado or Harper.