• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scientists: A Cure for Cancer within a year?

Chuck

11 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Anyone know anything about the effectiveness of body scans for detecting cancer tumors or heart blockage?

I think the effectiveness of any detection will depend on having someone who can interpret the picture and determine what belongs in there and what doesn't

1 hour ago, McTheKnife said:

Thanks for posting this Chuck. AW guys & gals, this got my attention. I hope this 'cure' is right around the corner but cancer is complex & different as we all are. Please get checked NOW. Never too early. Cancer Worldwide statistics show 1 in 2 males and 1 in 3 females will have cancer in their lifetime. Cancer doesn't give a crap what age, gender, religion or nationality you are. Been healthy my entire life but 2.5 years ago during an annual physical, a simple blood test showed some out of whack numbers. My PCP was alarmed and said it could be several things from internal bleeding to iron deficiency. She saved my life. After 2 months of tests, I was diagnosed with Stage II Multiple Myeloma, the same rare blood/bone marrow cancer that recently got Don Baylor, Mel Stottlemyre and Lou Brock is dealing with now. Nasty stuff. No cure, but somewhat manageable for many with chemo & other treatments.  I NEVER thought I would ever have cancer....that's for other people. But I do and was fortunate it was caught when it was as I am in remission.  BTW: I've been a huge Angel fan since '61 and have been lurking here on AW for years. Thanks to Chuck & all the usual AW 'suspects' here that keep me informed and laughing throughout the day.  This is my 1st post!! Sorry for jumping on the soapbox. I'll keep my future posts about baseball.

Please post more often and about whatever you’d like to post about. 

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

Anyone know anything about the effectiveness of body scans for detecting cancer tumors or heart blockage?

I think what you are looking for is a PET scan. I had one when first diagnosed with bladder cancer to see if they could detect any spread. 

They can highlight certain cancers, I wouldn't blanket all, but it also outlines areas of inflamation. Often that is the immune system working overtime to heal an area that is either injured or under some kind of cellular attack.

My scan clearly showed the bladder Inflamed with cancer and then, to the technicians wonderment, my right ankle. I had to explain to him I had a damaged Achilles and that it was in constant pain. 

Getting a PET scan paid through insurance may be difficult without some reason. It used to be about $3k if you paid out of pocket. I have no idea what the costs are today. 

9 hours ago, Tank said:

my SIL has stage four breast cancer, and it's spread to her bones. she's on hospice care. they've given her until june. she didn't show any significant signs until it was stage 4. would be nice to have a cure for things like this.

It definitely would be nice to be able to take a home test, much like a pregnancy test that could determine if you should get further tests by your doctor because there may be cancer starting to grow inside your body. 

Really sorry for your SIL, @Tank. So sad. 

My mom passed away two years ago this past Jan 1st from lung cancer. She didn't show any signs other than a back ache. She finally got tired of the pain and went to go see the doctor about the back pain and they found a large tumor that metastasized to her lower spine from the cancer that was in her lungs. She went on hospice 3 months after diagnosis and passed away two months later. 

12 hours ago, Blarg said:

Since there a many forms of cancer with many different structures I doubt any global cure will take place. 

Although a single term is used to describe it, cancer is not a single disease. It basically boils down to mutated cells multiplying faster than the body's ability to eliminate them, and displacing specialized, useful cells in the process.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:59 AM, Taylor said:

My father-in-law was recently diagnosed with stage-IV colon cancer. The doctors think the tumor was in his colon for years before it spread to his liver. He's only 48.

AngelsWin dudes who are 40 and older, go get a colonoscopy.

I'm about to be 46 and have been thinking about it. Unfortunately many insurance plans won't approve them until 50. They did that with me for prostate screenings but my dr made some shit up on my chart so they would approve the tests since I have an extensive family history with prostate cancer. 

47 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm about to be 46 and have been thinking about it. Unfortunately many insurance plans won't approve them until 50. They did that with me for prostate screenings but my dr made some shit up on my chart so they would approve the tests since I have an extensive family history with prostate cancer. 

That's a good doctor.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:15 AM, Chuckster70 said:

It definitely would be nice to be able to take a home test, much like a pregnancy test that could determine if you should get further tests by your doctor because there may be cancer starting to grow inside your body. 

Really sorry for your SIL, @Tank. So sad. 

thanks, chuckster.

• 3 months later...

Companies report progress on blood tests to detect cancer

Sounds like they are getting close.  I wish the article would say how many healthy people, the test said had cancer, and they actually did have cancer.  1% might be worth the margin of error, if the costs are so low that it becomes like a cholesterol screening.  I for one would risk a 1% false positive to have a cancer screen done every year.  Because cancer skus, and early detection is key.   

Call me negative, but I don't believe any disease will ever be cured (or can be cured). If it were possible, it would have happened by now. I am sure science will continue to make progress on detection and treatment, but cures will never happen.

17 hours ago, wopphil said:

Call me negative, but I don't believe any disease will ever be cured (or can be cured). If it were possible, it would have happened by now. I am sure science will continue to make progress on detection and treatment, but cures will never happen.

Not negative, just uneducated.

They already have the capabilities to duplicate and recreate cells. It's not even a matter of if, but when.