• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cameron Maybin

Rollinghard

If Maybin only cost a million or two, then he and Bourjos could battle it out for the 4th OF spot. At any rate, I doubt either of those two would present an upgrade over Calhoun. They are good defenders but so is Calhoun, and while Calhoun hasn't been able to consistently hit the ball in a couple of years, Maybin and Bourjos for their whole career have been in that boat. 

The only players capable of supplanting Calhoun in RF right now are probably Adell, Hermosillo and Marsh. Adell still needs to conquer AA though, same with Marsh, and Hermosillo as of the end of last year still needed more seasoning in AAA. So Calhoun should come in and get a long chance as the starting RF, at least until June. 

1 hour ago, Rollinghard said:

I have no idea how much he would cost for 2 years. But he is hitting in off season with same hitting coach that help JD Martinez. Taking a new approach to hitting. Who knows?  Take a flier. Puts pressure on Cole in spring training and then we trade him. 

Cole is an Astro, Kole is an Angel.

I’d warmly welcome Maybin as a 4th OF. Great defense and basestealing, seemed to be a great clubhouse presence, and when he clicks offensively he becomes a pretty great player, albeit in limited stretches. 

If not Maybin, I actually want Hermosillo to get the gig, even though he still has room to grow at AAA and would benefit from regular playing time. He’s likely a 4th OF anyways, so may as well get him acclimated to that role now, and if he doesn’t produce in the bigs in 2019, in any capacity, he’s going to wind up having Adell and even Marsh and Lund leapfrogging him for opportunity.

If Hermosillo doesn’t grab that opportunity this year, he could fall into that awkward sort of Kaleb Cowart turf where he isn’t really getting enough playing time to be valuable to the Angels or proving enough to maintain trade value. 

Edited by totdprods

Maybin ?  Really? Is this a retro type post? 

Maybin - haven't we been there, done that?

He was a speedster - had trouble getting on base as a Halo if I remember right and what I really seem to remember about Maybin is that with anything hit to left field, fly ball, pop up behind short, a line drive that fell in for a base hit but fielded cleanly on a hop -- the runners on base could literally walk to advance to the next base,  Maybin had/ has ZERO arm.

He worked out pretty well for Houston during the stretch run as sort of a PH/ PR type who could pinch run in the late innings -- but you really couldn't keep in the game on defense in LF,

that's what I seem to remember about him,

Was glad when the Halos acquired him/ signed him and was really OK with letting him go after spending less than a season with us,

33 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Maybin ?  Really? Is this a retro type post? 

Maybin - haven't we been there, done that?

He was a speedster - had trouble getting on base as a Halo if I remember right and what I really seem to remember about Maybin is that with anything hit to left field, fly ball, pop up behind short, a line drive that fell in for a base hit but fielded cleanly on a hop -- the runners on base could literally walk to advance to the next base,  Maybin had/ has ZERO arm.

He worked out pretty well for Houston during the stretch run as sort of a PH/ PR type who could pinch run in the late innings -- but you really couldn't keep in the game on defense in LF,

that's what I seem to remember about him,

Was glad when the Halos acquired him/ signed him and was really OK with letting him go after spending less than a season with us,

He was as close to the best non-Trout on-base machine we’d had up until he got hurt in ‘17. He had a nice 45-game stretch - .272/.376/.445/.821 and 21 for 22 in SB attempts - but that was about it. 

As a 4th OF, I think he’d be just fine, but if anyone got hurt I’d want to see Hermosillo or Adell get the time.

Edited by totdprods

Maybin has something that Angels don't have. A WS ring. There's value right there. He is a well spoken gentleman and a good presence in the clubhouse. He is a good size guy that has always been coached to " put the ball on the ground and run" and now is working to increasing his launch angle. I just like the guy. But I like EY jr. too. I like to be entertained. Doubles and triples.  The risk is minimal and upside could be significant.