• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How much have we spent on payroll the last 15 years?

Docwaukee

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

You know, with regard to the Arte is clearly willing to spend argument, we know this HAS been true, i dont think anyone would argue that. 
The argument is that he doesnt appear to be willing to do so NOW. 
Barring some kind of major surprise in what remains of the off season this is the first time i can recall this team under Arte having a set budget or hearing talks about pushing said budget.  We are now waiting for bad money to fall off instead of moving forward from it as we had in the past.
That is a very large shift in narrative.

Isn't the payroll this year the highest it has ever been to start a season? Or close to it?

Of the top 4, I'd say Boston has gotten the biggest bangs for its $2.5 billion bucks. 

Per dollars spent, maybe Los Gigantes' 2010-2014 run was the biggest bang for the fewest bucks.

Hammy, Albert, Vernon, CJW and GMJr. done Arte wrong.

I'm sure CJW appreciates the grand race car Angels fans bought for him, though.

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

You know, with regard to the Arte is clearly willing to spend argument, we know this HAS been true, i dont think anyone would argue that. 
The argument is that he doesnt appear to be willing to do so NOW. 
Barring some kind of major surprise in what remains of the off season this is the first time i can recall this team under Arte having a set budget or hearing talks about pushing said budget.  We are now waiting for bad money to fall off instead of moving forward from it as we had in the past.
That is a very large shift in narrative.

what?  

just because they didn't spend on the guys you wanted, doesn't mean Arte's not willing to spend now.  He actually did spend now.  

3 hours ago, floplag said:

Call me what you will if thats all you got but there is little argument to the fact we went bargain hunting this off season. 
I dont know why opposing views seems to threaten and irritate some of you guys so much, but thats a you problem. 

It not the opposing views, it's the level of stupid involved that's irritating. 

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

We built the team up through the farm system from 2000 when Stoneman took over.  While the 2002 WS championship was a masterpiece of talent, timing and fortune, but the true indicator of what Stoneman created was evident in our success from 2004-2009.  Yes, there were a few prospects that predated his tenure but the key was that he didn't trade them.  

During that time, the farm was the core of the team and the rest was supplemented via Arte's checkbook.  We had the 2nd most wins in baseball over that time.  Stoneman wasn't perfect by any means, but you can see the template.  

Things started to fall apart when we went away from that.  

The team was in far worse shape when Eppler took over than when Stoneman started.  BS inherited an ok farm system and didn't have a bloated payroll to deal with and was able to turn the team around in the 5th year.  So far, Eppler has had 3.  Relative to where we were, he's ahead of schedule.  

We all know it's not the same of course.  The path will be different.  But the foundation is where success starts.  

In fairness, I wish he would have traded McPhearson, Mathis, Wood,  and Adenhardt (would not have been in that intersection on state street).

Ironically he almost traded three of those along for Cabrera 

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

and another point is that while we're not the Dodgers, Red Sox or Yankees from a financial standpoint, Arte is clearly willing to pay for players via FA in order to supplement the team.  

but yacht fuel!

6 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I'll be so stoked when it translates to better than 1 playoff appearance in the last 9 seasons.

agreed.  it took a few years to realize that you can't fill your entire roster with free agents.  There's certainly a chance it won't play out for the positive but there's no chance trying to do it any other way.  

5 hours ago, floplag said:

Call me what you will if thats all you got but there is little argument to the fact we went bargain hunting this off season. 
I dont know why opposing views seems to threaten and irritate some of you guys so much, but thats a you problem. 

dude, why do you play the victim card in every single thread? 

5 hours ago, floplag said:

saying that the Angels went bargain hunting is not a viewpoint.  It's just wrong.  Keep ignoring that we had to fill so many spots.  

Rank over that time:                   Playoff wins over that time

1. Yankees $3.258 b                               41
2. Dodgers $2.515 b                               40
3. Red Sox $2.507 b                                51
4. Angels $2.113 b                                  10

Best manager in baseball.

2 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

So what. 

3 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Weren't you the one that says winning the championship is all that matters?

4 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Saddled with the two worst GMs in Angels history from 2008 on...