• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Potential bargain free agent targets still unsigned

Docwaukee

Seems as if we're at our payroll limit but could there be a bargain or two available at a couple mil that would improve the team?  

How about Granderson or Span as our 4th OFer over Herm or Bourjos?  

I know some would want Moustakas but he's likely going to cost more than what's in the bargain bin.  

On the pitching side, how about a guy like Nate Karns?  or Jake Diekman as a lefty?  

I would imagine that Ervin is going to cost more that we can afford, but he'd be a great addition as a long man out of the pen to complement Pena.  

Castellanos has been a consistently solid hitter since 2016.   

But can he play serviceable enough defense in RF?    He does have a full year of playing it under his belt.   He also only turns 27 in March.

He's owed $10 million for 2019, and then is a FA.

Would the Giants take Calhoun's $10 million+ salary, given that Smith or Watson will be making maybe a third of that in 2019?

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Castellanos has been a consistently solid hitter since 2016.   

But can he play serviceable enough defense in RF?    He does have a full year of playing it under his belt.   He also only turns 27 in March.

He's owed $10 million for 2019, and then is a FA.

Would the Giants take Calhoun's $10 million+ salary, given that Smith or Watson will be making maybe a third of that in 2019?

low tier prospects would likely be included.

41 minutes ago, floplag said:

OK, on what is this opinion based?  
Unless they make some trades, that would seem to be wishful thinking. 

I base it on there being bargains out there and if you can get a 2 WAR player for $2 million they will do it.   They’ll bring in a 4th outfielder and another pen arm is my guess.  

At this point I'd only be interested in whichever pitchers are willing to take minor-league deals/ST invites. And there's plenty of reasonable options who may wind up taking that. Try and replicate the Norris/Petit success. 

Not seeing much of interest for catcher or infield - would rather see with Smith and Briceno do. Maybe Matt Davidson as a 1B/3B/RP guy with some pop. 

I want to see Herm get 4th OF - it's a key year for him, because as soon as this year Adell likely leapfrogs him as the first guy up if a significant injury occurs. This is his best chance to grab playing time and run with it if he's to be a key piece to our future.

I feel like Castellanos is one of those players where there would be a big discrepancy in his value between the acquiring team vs. the one that has him.  

on the surface, it seems like he's worth a lot because of his bat but in reality he's a dh/1bman that used to play 3b and now they've stuck in the OF  

on a prorated basis, he's actually a worse defender than JD Martinez.  

so detroit wants full price for his bat and the buying team would need a major discount because he's realistically on a little better than someone like CJ Cron.