• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Prospectus 2019 Prospects: The Top 101 -Jo Adell ranked 2nd

NrM

46 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

doing this has pissed off a few players in the past like Kris Bryant.  

the Braves did it with Acuna but at least they had Preston Tucker who was semi worth of a look.  

I am sure you are right but gotta be careful doing that.  

They could extend him to buy out all of his arbitration seasons :D

Holy crap, they put Jordyn Adams in the top 101 (#99). Jordyn Adams, the 19 year old who we drafted in 2018.

Future of the Angels is starting to look pretty good...

Edit - looking through, looks like most of the top draft picks are on here. So, BP really does value tools a lot more than anything else, probably.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

doing this has pissed off a few players in the past like Kris Bryant.  

the Braves did it with Acuna but at least they had Preston Tucker who was semi worth of a look.  

I am sure you are right but gotta be careful doing that.  

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

Fletcher commented late last year that he thinks Adell may well be up by September. If I understood him correctly (he can correct me on this - it’s also possible he’s changed his mind), I took from that that it wasn’t up for a few games and a taste of the big leagues, but actually with a spot at that point. 

Obviously no one knows what’ll happen, even Eppler - it’ll depend on various factors, but just because other teams ([cough] Toronto, Chicago [cough]) do it, doesn’t mean the Angels will. 

The Angels should do this as it will give the team essentially one more year of team control of a possibly elite player.  Is it fair? No, but blame the current MLB players that signed the CBA and not the teams that exploit the loophole. 

I have a limited knowledge of prospects from other organizations.  I know the Angels and Padres because of my fandom, and I know a little bit about Toronto, Washington, Colorado and Atlanta because I know a couple people. My own personal evaluation of them would be....

1. Vlad Guerrero Jr.  2. Fernando Tatis Jr.  -------These two are kind of in a classification on their own.  Vlad is obviously the superior player, but I don't think Tatis can be understated as a future superstar at SS/3B.

Then, Jo Adell, Eloy Jimenez, Victor Robles, Carter Kieboom, Royce Lewis and Bo Bichette.  Every single one of these guys can be superstars as well, but aren't as much of a sure thing.  Adell has it all minus the plate discipline, Eloy is lacking the discipline, defense and speed but more than makes up for it with his power and bat, Robles lacks the upside that the rest of these guys have, but offers a lot more refinement.  Lewis is like Adell, just not as good.  And Bo Bichette and Carter Kieboom are interesting.  Bichette might light the world on fire like Javier Baez is doing now, or he might flounder.  And Kieboom can be a starting 2B or 3B that hits .290 and 30 HR's a year, easy.   

The ones that I feel are being overrated right now, that are still good, but not top of the prospect list good are: Keston Hiura, Nick Senzel, Taylor Trammel and Brendan Rodgers.  I have little doubt that these guys will be major leaguers, but I see some persistent red flags.  Hiura is more of a line drive hitter.  He might be a worse defensive Howie Kendrick.  Still a decent major leaguer, but not worth the hype.  Senzel, I just dislike the swing.  Something about it.  Trammel I like more of an athlete than a ball player.  He's more of a Mike Cameron to me.  And finally, Brendan Rodgers.  I compare the trajectory of him to Trevor Story.  Rodgers comes with so much more Hype but Story all along was the better athlete, and better defender.  Story has since turned into an MVP candidate due in no small measure to Coors Field, but I don't see the same in Rodgers.  He's a dead-pull power hitter and I think advanced pitching will eat him alive.  When I look at Rodgers, I see a .260 hitter with poor plate discipline, but 20-25 HR's and a decent defensive second baseman or third baseman.  Not an all-star, but more of a solid regular. 

BP's top 5 the last 10 years in order from 1-5:

2010:
Strasburg
Heyward
Neftali Feliz
Jesus Montero
Mike (Giancarlo) Stanton:

Harper
Trout
Montero 
Dominic Brown
Julio Teheran