• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Prospectus 2019 Prospects: The Top 101 -Jo Adell ranked 2nd

NrM

Wow, haven't paid attention to any of BP's content in a long time outside of their top 101 prospects lists. Good to see they finally updated their old 1980's website look. Took a while, but looks much better

Adell #6 at BA, #2 at BP. I'll take it. 

Has Fangraphs come out yet? MLB.com's top 100 comes out this weekend. These are really the only four that I pay attention to.

BP really wasn't sure how to view Jo Adell, but they favor upside over anything, and there isn't a single athlete in the major or minor leagues that matches his athleticism. n They really have no idea who to compare him to. Like we can compare him to Justin Upton, Mike Cameron and George Springer until we're blue in the face, but flat out, NONE of those guys had Adell's natural talent.  

So BP doesn't know what kind of a ball player he'll be.  They like that he made it to AA at age 19, and that makes them think that he'll end up being good.  But there really isn't any sort of ceiling for him that we know about. 

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

BP really wasn't sure how to view Jo Adell, but they favor upside over anything, and there isn't a single athlete in the major or minor leagues that matches his athleticism. n They really have no idea who to compare him to. Like we can compare him to Justin Upton, Mike Cameron and George Springer until we're blue in the face, but flat out, NONE of those guys had Adell's natural talent.  

So BP doesn't know what kind of a ball player he'll be.  They like that he made it to AA at age 19, and that makes them think that he'll end up being good.  But there really isn't any sort of ceiling for him that we know about. 

I've been a BP subscriber off and on since the days Keith Law was there.... They tend to put a lot of weight into statistical projection, more so than anyone else until maybe fangraphs..  I'd sooner argue they were less willing to buy into Adell's tools and upside until they had a performance baseline than say they are all about upside....   Maybe things are different now but they used to be very clear to point out where the stats both to talk up and rein in the hype. 

Personally, I've always preferred BP to BbA because they tended to weed out a lot of the toolsy guys who couldn't hit. But, I agree they are likely buying into what he's done to get to AA at age 19.

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Wow, hopefully this time next year he'll be #1, pretty sure Vlad Jr. will be in the bigs.

If Adell's not in the majors by then. 

It's no sure thing, of course, but when you're ranked that highly and have made that big a jump in the last year? It's not a possibility to ignore, either. 

4 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

If Adell's not in the majors by then. 

It's no sure thing, of course, but when you're ranked that highly and have made that big a jump in the last year? It's not a possibility to ignore, either. 

Maybe, but since he ended last season in double AA, I'm not sure he'll make the same jump as this past year, but it is possible.  Possibly a September call up, but I think the Angels will want to manipulate his service time and bring him up late April 2020. 

1 minute ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Maybe, but since he ended last season in double AA, I'm not sure he'll make the same jump as this past year, but it is possible.  Possibly a September call up, but I think the Angels will want to manipulate his service time and bring him up late April 2020. 

It's gonna get very tricky.  They won't have a RFer for 2020 and they're likely not going to sign anyone to cover for the first month or so of the season.  

6 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

They'll probably give it to the 4th OFer until they call Adell up.

doing this has pissed off a few players in the past like Kris Bryant.  

the Braves did it with Acuna but at least they had Preston Tucker who was semi worth of a look.  

I am sure you are right but gotta be careful doing that.  

29 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Fletcher commented late last year that he thinks Adell may well be up by September. If I understood him correctly (he can correct me on this - it’s also possible he’s changed his mind), I took from that that it wasn’t up for a few games and a taste of the big leagues, but actually with a spot at that point. 

Obviously no one knows what’ll happen, even Eppler - it’ll depend on various factors, but just because other teams ([cough] Toronto, Chicago [cough]) do it, doesn’t mean the Angels will.