• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout free agency

Torridd

Generally, I don't write a lot about Trout and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. I was inspired by Second Base's prediction that Trout would re-sign with us even though he files for free agency.

I want to know if you agree if Trout files that he'll re-sign with the team. I don't think so.

17 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

If Trout makes it to free agency, that would mean he and the Angels have failed to reach a deal over 12-18 months of trying, so I highly doubt he'd re-sign.

I still think it's more likely than not that he agrees to an extension and never gets to free agency.

Finally a common sense statement regarding Trout negotiations.

I have to say that, to some small degree, the entire "having Trout on the Angels" experience has been slightly contaminated by the never-ending talk about losing him.

We went through hysteria for what seemed like forever in the process of the extension and we are stuck in it again now for the last year and have two more years of this.

It's kind of a lame thing to do to yourself.

Do we sit through a great movie obsessed with looking at our watch because we know the movie will actually end, and never stop getting distracted from watching the movie because we are whispering in the theatre discussing if there will or will not be a sequel?

Sure it matters to me if Trout stays or goes or signs an extension.  Of course it does.

I just would kind of like to have SOME discipline to not obsess over it to the point that it takes away from the enjoyment of actually having the guy in the team now.

1 minute ago, WeatherWonk said:

The first sentence, yes.

The second is not knowable, to any degree of certainty. It lies within of what Trout wants to do. And he isn't saying, except that he wants to WIN.

Actually he has said he likes it out here but I'm not gonna open that can of worms.

Look at Trout's life, to this point. What, if any, indication is there that he wants to stay on the West Coast? There really is none. He spends virtually all of his time on the east coast;  outside of having to "work" on the West Coast. 

Well, except helicoptering in for pizza on State College Blvd, of course..................

Signing the contract to buy out a few years of arb and FAgency was a no-brainer. He would have done that even if he had been playing for the Mariners or the A's or the Padres. He knew that he would still be young enough to get a really fat contract when this extension expires. He would still be in his prime. He would be able to choose the location of his liking, after this. Signs point to that being on the east coast, IMO. 

And, as he has said on more than one occasion, he wants to win.

Now, many on AW simply dismiss this statement as nothing more than an indication of his competitiveness. "Of course he wants to win! Everyone does! Don't read too much into this! Arte will offer him so much that he can't refuse!!!" I suppose it's possible, even after factoring in the 13.3% state income tax that CA will nick him for. But he doesnt seem like a guy that motivated by money alone.

Still, at the end of your career, what does one remember the most? How much money you made? "Man, I'll never forget making 34 million with the Angels in 2018! That was awesome!" 

No, when you know you are going to have more money than you will ever need, NO MATTER WHERE YOU END UP, you can choose a location that conforms to your lifestyle, Conforms to your family's lifestyle. Conforms to your desire to WIN.

At the end of your career, you will remember the championships you won or the playoff games you performed well in, regardless of the outcome. YOUR team against THEIR team, on the big stage! And baseball is a very TEAM sport. One person, even the GOTG, cannot carry a team to a championship. Even Mad Bum and Mariano Rivera had to GET a lead, to hold it.

The playoffs look far from certain for the Angels in 2019-2020, the last two years of Trout's contract. The complementary players to build a better team around Trout, have not materialized.  Three straight losing seasons with a top seven payroll. Yeah, I know, Dipoto, Dipoto, Dipoto and Albert, Albert, Albert, and Astro, Astros, Astros, blah, blah, blah..............

The farm system, while stronger than maybe the last ten years, is still only a hope. That's all farm hands ever are, until they perform at the ML level;  the way the young players for the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Cubs, the Astros and the Braves have. The window for our young players to prove themselves, within Trout's window in Anaheim, is slowing coming down.

Maybe Canning and Suarez and Adell and Marsh and Thaiss and Jones and Ward and Maitan and Rengifo will all become 2+ WAR players by the end of 2020. They will be plugged into our lineup and/or flipped for players who can (and fit within Arte's apparent salary constraints). We will overtake the Astros and have a better chance than a one-game play-in shot at the playoffs. But it is probable? Will Mike Trout and his agent feel this is probable?

Here's something else to consider. What if Trout's wife becomes pregnant in the next year? This has a way of happening to newlyweds. Mightn't that be a factor in wanting to spend more time where his family is? If she has been traveling at all with Mike for the last seven years, as he spends so much time on the West Coast, wouldnt she want to remain where all of her family can assist her in raising the child? Very possibly. Another reason to want to be based on the east coast. I think if Mike Trout's wife is expecting in the next 12-18 months, he is absolutely GONE.........................

I think about the only thing playing into the Angels hands, with respect to re-signing him, is the nature of the "super" free agent market, over the last two off seasons. HIs agent could, conceivably, recommend that he sign a fat extension, rather that be subjected to the whims of the owners, as the new CBA approaches. But even then, if we assume he gets a contract for "only" say 200 mil over 7 years, he will still have already earned about 145 million. The 345 million total might be enough for him to say, "I've made enough money, I'm playing where I want to, with the greatest chance of being in the playoffs."

Is that really with an Arte owned team? The Angels have made the playoffs six times in his ownership. Only once since 2009. In the first 3-4 times, it was a team significantly configured by previous ownership, excepting the acquisition of Vlad. Teams with the full imprint of Arte's ownership, have not faired well, with respect to the playoffs. It's not from lack of trying, though. It's been mostly bad signings and bad luck (injuries and even death). Now, he's taking a different tack, thanks largely to Eppler. Build from within, as much as possible. Will there be time enough to satisfy Trout?

Lots of players have trophy cases filled with individual awards. Trout is already one of them.

But I suspect many would trade trophies and dollars for a World Series win and to be able to cherish those memories with their teammates, after they retire. Mike Trout seems like he would take all that over Arte's millions. 

Ya know, I never could resist stirring up an ant hill or throwing rocks at bee hives. Bring it on, AW goose-steppers!!!

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

The first sentence, yes.

The second is not knowable, to any degree of certainty. It lies within what Trout wants to do. And he isn't saying, except that he wants to WIN.

If you have been negotiating for 18 months and cant make a deal it means Trout does not want to stay and he will not sign with the Angel's as a free agent.  It's common sense!

35 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Look at Trout's life, to this point. What, if any, indication is there that he wants to stay on the West Coast? There really is none. He spends virtually all of his time on the east coast;  outside of having to "work" on the West Coast. 

Well, except helicoptering in for pizza on State College Blvd, of course..................

Signing the contract to buy out a few years of arb and FAgency was a no-brainer. He would have done that even if he had been playing for the Mariners or the A's or the Padres. He knew that he would still be young enough to get a really fat contract when this extension expires. He would still be in his prime. He would be able to choose the location of his liking, after this. Signs point to that being on the east coast, IMO. 

Now, many on AW simply dismiss this statement as nothing more than an indication of his competitiveness. "Of course he wants to win! Everyone does! Don't read too much into this! Arte will offer him so much that he can't refuse!!!" I suppose it's possible, even after factoring in the 13.3% state income tax that CA will nick him for. But he doesnt seem like a guy that motivated by money alone.

Still, at the end of your career, what does one remember the most? How much money you made? "Man, I'll never forget making 34 million with the Angels in 2018! That was awesome!" 

No, when you know you are going to have more money than you will ever need, NO MATTER WHERE YOU END UP, you can choose a location that conforms to your lifestyle, Conforms to your family's lifestyle. Conforms to your desire to WIN.

At the end of your career, you will remember the championships you won or the playoff games you performed well in, regardless of the outcome. YOUR team against THEIR team, on the big stage! And baseball is a very TEAM sport. One person, even the GOTG, cannot carry a team to a championship. Even Mad Bum and Mariano Rivera had to GET a lead, to hold it.

The playoffs look far from certain for the Angels in 2019-2020, the last two years of Trout's contract. The complementary players to build a better team around Trout, have not materialized.  Three straight losing seasons with a top seven payroll. Yeah, I know, Dipoto, Dipoto, Dipoto and Albert, Albert, Albert, and Astro, Astros, Astros, blah, blah, blah..............

The farm system, while stronger than maybe the last ten years, is still only a hope. That's all farm hands ever are, until they perform at the ML level;  the way the young players for the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Cubs, the Astros and the Braves have. The window for our young players to prove themselves, within Trout's window in Anaheim, is slowing coming down.

Maybe Canning and Suarez and Adell and Marsh and Thaiss and Jones and Ward and Maitan and Rengifo will all become 2+ WAR players by the end of 2020. They will be plugged into our lineup and/or flipped for players who can (and fit within Arte's apparent salary constraints). We will overtake the Astros and have a better chance than a one-game play-in shot at the playoffs. But it is probable? Will Mike Trout and his agent feel this is probable?

Here's something else to consider. What if Trout's wife becomes pregnant in the next year? This has a way of happening to newlyweds. Mightn't that be a factor in wanting to spend more time where his family is? If she has been traveling at all with Mike for the last seven years, as he spends so much time on the West Coast, wouldnt she want to remain where all of her family can assist her in raising the child? Very possibly. Another reason to want to be based on the east coast. I think if Mike Trout's wife is expecting in the next 12-18 months, he is absolutely GONE.........................

I think about the only thing playing into the Angels hands, with respect to re-signing him, is the nature of the "super" free agent market, over the last two off seasons. HIs agent could, conceivably, recommend that he sign a fat extension, rather that be subjected to the whims of the owners, as the new CBA approaches. But even then, if we assume he gets a contract for "only" say 200 mil over 7 years, he will still have already earned about 145 million. The 345 million total might be enough for him to say, "I've made enough money, I'm playing where I want to, with the greatest chance of being in the playoffs."

Is that really with an Arte owned team? The Angels have made the playoffs six times in his ownership. Only once since 2009. In the first 3-4 times, it was a team significantly configured by previous ownership, excepting the acquisition of Vlad. Teams with the full imprint of Arte's ownership, have not faired well, with respect to the playoffs. It's not from lack of trying, though. It's been mostly bad signings and bad luck (injuries and even death). Now, he's taking a different tack, thanks largely to Eppler. Build from within, as much as possible. Will there be time enough to satisfy Trout?

Lots of players have trophy cases filled with individual awards. Trout is already one of them.

But I suspect many would trade trophies and dollars for a World Series win and to be able to cherish those memories with their teammates, after they retire. Mike Trout seems like he would take all that over Arte's millions. 

Ya know, I never could resist stirring up an ant hill or throwing rocks at bee hives. Bring it on, AW goose-steppers!!!

I tend to think pursuing a lifetime contract with the Angel's during the negotiations for first extension is a sign that he enjoys playing here.

Although I guess he may have a different viewpoint since Scioscia is no longer his manager!

(Sorry for trolling but I couldn't help myself with second paragraph)  ?

7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I tend to think pursuing a lifetime contract with the Angel's during the negotiations for first extension is a sign that he enjoys playing here.

Although I guess he may have a different viewpoint since Scioscia is no longer his manager!

(Sorry for trolling but I couldn't help myself with second paragraph)  ?

1 sentence isn't a paragraph...

46 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

the last place that Trout is going to go to is the yankees.  

he hates the spot light.  he said he likes it here.  

either he'll believe he has a chance to win here and stay or he won't.  All of the other stuff you mentioned is just clutter.  He's gonna get the highest contract in mlb history.  not 200m for 7 years.  That's less than he makes now.  Don't be absurd.  It's also different for a guy who has almost half a billion dollars committed to him over the next 12 years to be bi-coastal.  He can afford private jets for his family and premier houses wherever he wants.  He can and has gone back to the east coast in the off season.  He's not going to be hunting or going to eagles games during the season anyway.  Half the time he'll be traveling.    

As much as he wants to win, he's also not a mercenary.  Whether you want to believe this or not and I would consider it as feasible as any of the borderline reasons you cited as to him going.  Albert Pujols is his mentor.  I think deep down, and I am sure he's conveyed this to Mike, Albert is bummed he didn't stay with the Cardinals.  

By the time two years goes by, he'll have as good a chance to win here as almost anywhere that can afford him.  Pretty much every major league player was a prospect at some point.  Where do you think they come from?   

So maybe Mike waits a year to find out how that component progresses.  Maybe he waits two years.  We'll still have an exclusive window to negotiate with him even after his contract expires.  If the prospects don't develop as expected then so be it.  Shit happens and he'll leave.  Not much we can do about that.  But at least they tried to do it the right way.  

Every team you mentioned built their team with a strong core of club controlled players.  Then they signed some and traded for others.  It's exactly the path we are on and exactly what we intent to do.  

The only way he doesn't stay at this point is if the team Eppler is putting together for the future doesn't actually start to show something.   

I personally believe that Arte is committed to winning and will go the extra mile when he feels the time is right.  Maybe not all at one but over the next two to three years.  Add a high priced pitcher or position player next year.  Another before the 2021 season.  Maybe make a trade or two.  Defer some money.  Honestly, I see the Halos doing what the nats are doing now but perhaps from 2021-2024.  

Mike Trout or no Mike Trout.  We're doing it the right way in my opinion.  Sometimes shit happens and it doesn't work but this gives us the best chance for the future.  

If he doesn’t want to stay, he will leave. There’s no indication he is opposed to staying. He wants to win, and the Angels are actively building a competitive team for the period of his next contract. Which means it will come down to money, most likely. So unless a) Arte lowballs him (unlikely; < 5%), or b) Trout believes they won’t be competitive, or c) there’s something else that makes Trout not want to play here, or d) he wants to play in Philly/NY/somewhere else (don’t think he’s committed to that since he was reportedly open to a lifetime contract extension when he signed his last extension), Trout will re-sign within the next twelve months. 

Hey @WeatherWonk, how do you know Trout doesn’t think he can win with the Angels?

And what team can guarantee him he’ll win?

I really can’t imagine Trout playing for the Yankees or Red Sox. I don’t think he’d enjoy that spotlight or scrutiny. 

If he can get the largest contract in history to play someplace that he already knows and likes, it’s really not a stretch to think he’ll take it.