• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mariano Rivera Stat

ettin

Out of all teams Rivera faced in Major League baseball, at 50 games or more, the Angels "got" to him, running up a .691 OPS which is #1 out of all 30 teams.

To say that .691 is a lot isn't really true but we performed well against him compared to our peers.

Congrats to MR for his induction into the Hall of Fame.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=riverma01&year=Career&t=p#all_9248023895

As I'm sure many of you do - I'll never forget that 5 run 9th inning come back in New York off of him - Capped off by Mo Vaughn's 3 run game tying homer, Erstad's impossible game saving bottom of the 9th catch and his game winning solo shot in the top of the 10th. One of the best games I've ever seen from this team and so much of it was tied to the seeming impossibility of coming back from such a large deficit against perhaps the greatest finisher of all time.

Thanks Mariano.

39 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

As I'm sure many of you do - I'll never forget that 5 run 9th inning come back in New York off of him - Capped off by Mo Vaughn's 3 run game tying homer, Erstad's impossible game saving bottom of the 9th catch and his game winning solo shot in the top of the 10th. One of the best games I've ever seen from this team and so much of it was tied to the seeming impossibility of coming back from such a large deficit against perhaps the greatest finisher of all time.

Thanks Mariano.

This memory is what prompted me checking because I recalled that he seemed to struggle against us.

12 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Thanks Mariano.

Do you have the specifics of that game?  I'd like to look up the record. 

Cool stat I heard this morning: 

In human history, more people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason. According to NASA, 12 peoplehave had the privilege of walking on the moon. According to Baseball Reference, 11people have scored an earned run off of Playoff Mo

6 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

In human history, more people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason. According to NASA, 12 peoplehave had the privilege of walking on the moon. According to Baseball Reference, 11people have scored an earned run off of Playoff Mo

considering he faced 527 batters in the postseason, that's remarkable 

32 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

As much as I hate the Yankees, and pretty much every guy who put on the pinstripes, I never disliked Mariano. He was just so dominant, without being a dick. 

Always a classy guy on the field, and off. Never showed up a batter after making them look foolish. 

I agree with my fellow tristatesman.

16 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Thanks Mariano.

That erstad game was amazing. For the younger guys on here, 2000 Erstad was 2012 Trout. Not as many stolen bases, but better CF defense.

Up until Trout, that was the most amazing Angel season i had ever seen. Some guys had more power or whatever, but he just did it all that year. Off the top of my head, missed the single season hits record by 1 or 2?

4 hours ago, NJHalo said:

Man, lol, thats a pretty badass way to put it.

Ill have to check with Vladdylonglegs if its accurate though.

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I believe it was in 2000. Mid week night game in New York.

Edit: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA200008180.shtml

It was. Caught a running over the back catch in LF i think bottom of the 9th. Led off the tenth with a homerun. 

A Tuesday or Wednesday night off the top of my head (my inner AO showing)

18 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Thanks Mariano.

Found it on MLB.