• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kaleb Cowart

AngelsHilo

I would rather bring in Rick Ankiel to see if he can be a one out lefty reliever than put more time and resources into Cowart with a fantasy that he will make it now as a pitcher.

And I mean every word if this post literally.

The draft pick was a bust.  Move on.

Wait!  Can Ryan Leaf play TE for the Chargers?  He is pretty big. . .

44 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I would rather bring in Rick Ankiel to see if he can be a one out lefty reliever than put more time and resources into Cowart with a fantasy that he will make it now as a pitcher.

And I mean every word if this post literally.

The draft pick was a bust.  Move on.

Wait!  Can Ryan Leaf play TE for the Chargers?  He is pretty big. . .

yes, the price of a minor league contract is too much for the gamble.

7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I caught the sarcasm.  The sarcasm had no relevance to the issue under discussion.

At this point in his career, he isn't a future MLB pitcher any more than he is a future MLB catcher.  Well, maybe he is by about 1% I guess.

Sign him!!!!!!!!!!

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

At this point in his career, he isn't a future MLB pitcher any more than he is a future MLB catcher.  Well, maybe he is by about 1% I guess.

Sign him!!!!!!!!!!

1. I don't think that's true. Maybe he has a 5% chance to be a pitcher. 

2. What's wrong with signing the dude to a minor league contract? If he washes out then no biggie. If he hits that 1,2 or 5% chance and becomes a decent big league reliever it's a huge win. The roster flexibility that a relief pitcher who can more than competently play defense at several positions is huge. The in game strategic advantages having a relief pitcher who can stand in the batters box and play defenses creates could prove valuable as well. 

I don't think the Angels should offer him $100 million dollars and tie their fortunes to the success of Cowart the pitcher, but what's the harm of signing the guy to a minor league contract and giving him a chance to succeed as a pitcher?

3 hours ago, eaterfan said:

1. I don't think that's true. Maybe he has a 5% chance to be a pitcher. 

2. What's wrong with signing the dude to a minor league contract? If he washes out then no biggie. If he hits that 1,2 or 5% chance and becomes a decent big league reliever it's a huge win. The roster flexibility that a relief pitcher who can more than competently play defense at several positions is huge. The in game strategic advantages having a relief pitcher who can stand in the batters box and play defenses creates could prove valuable as well. 

I don't think the Angels should offer him $100 million dollars and tie their fortunes to the success of Cowart the pitcher, but what's the harm of signing the guy to a minor league contract and giving him a chance to succeed as a pitcher?

It takes a roster spot from somebody else.  Roster spots at every level are precious.

I would rather just move on.

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

The part I don't understand is, if it was the Angels plan to have Cowart work on pitching in the minors, why didn't they just do that instead of letting the Mariners have him?

Because he was out of options and had to go through DFA to be sent back down. The Mariners claimed him

Edited by arch stanton

13 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

What's the difference between DFA and waivers?

When you're DFA'd, it is usually a sudden thing. The team had to make a roster move and needed to clear a spot ASAP. Because the player needs time to clear waivers, but you need him off the 40-man roster immediately, he goes into DFA limbo.

If you're planning ahead because you want to outright (send down) a guy later, you place him on waivers while keeping him on the 40-man roster. That's what the Angels did with Cowart. The Angels wanted Cowart to pitch in the minors, but he was out of options, so they hoped they could slip him through waivers, outright him and keep him in the minors. But the M's claimed him.

The Mariners, however, needed to make a move immediately because they were completing a trade, so they had to DFA Cowart. It's likely that no one will claim him, though, and they'll get to keep him in the minors.