• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels GM Billy Eppler says they ‘stretched’ budget to land Cody Allen

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You know how you know more about this stuff than the average guy on here?  Think of the gap of knowledge between what you know about this and the average guy on here.  Well Arte has people working for him that know more about this stuff than you do and more than likely the knowledge gap is very similar to that of you and average AWer.  And still they don’t do what you want them to do.  Who has a more vested interest in building the brand, you or Arte?  

OK, then please take this exact angle to anyone with any opinion about trades or batting order or any other subject discussed on the board.

The reality is capital structure of businesses and managing current profit versus building long term equity is my lane professionally, so excuse me if I feel comfortable discussing it.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

OK, then please take this exact angle to anyone with any opinion about trades or batting order or any other subject discussed on the board.

The reality is capital structure of businesses and managing current profit versus building long term equity is my lane professionally, so excuse me if I feel comfortable discussing it.

Ok, discuss it, I actually find it fascinating.  Common sense is my lane.  So when people ignore it I am comfortable discussing it.  

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

We agree.  And you don't have to "go with" his sense over my points.  I already said multiple times it is his decision.  And my points are just my opinion.

Arte could win more games now spending more.  And maybe it doesn't work.

He doesnt want to risk it.  It's his team.

but why don't you think he wants to risk it?  because he thinks it's a bad bet and I guarantee he's got a shit ton of data and analysis to tell him why.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

but why don't you think he wants to risk it?  because he thinks it's a bad bet and I guarantee he's got a shit ton of data and analysis to tell him why.  

I don't know.  Maybe his laser focus is the fastest path to the next WS title, and his analysis is the additional spending doesn't expedite that project?

Seems to me that some additional spending if done correctly would not delay that project, but might help the team win 92 games instead of 84. . .and I as a fan think that is very valuable, especially if maybe you sneak into a wildcard and then who knows what happens.

I am a fan.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don't know.  Maybe his laser focus is the fastest path to the next WS title, and his analysis is the additional spending doesn't expedite that project?

Seems to me that some additional spending if done correctly would not delay that project, but might help the team win 92 games instead of 84. . .and I as a fan think that is very valuable, especially if maybe you sneak into a wildcard and then who knows what happens.

I am a fan.

ok, what exactly would you have done this offseason?

please be specific. 

Just now, Lou said:

ok, what exactly would you have done this offseason?

please be specific. 

My personal highest priority was Corbin.  He went for too much so I am OK passing.

I think the Angels should be in on Harper or Machado.  They are expensive but they are only 26 and each are potential MVPs with possibly many of their best years in front if them.

Not at any price of course.  But I would hope the Angels are present in the process with discipline, but it appears they are not.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

My personal highest priority was Corbin.  He went for too much so I am OK passing.

I think the Angels should be in on Harper or Machado.  They are expensive but they are only 26 and each are potential MVPs with possibly many of their best years in front if them.

Not at any price of course.  But I would hope the Angels are present in the process with discipline, but it appears they are not.

I have heard that Eppler himself has checked in on every single possible free agent this off season to at least get a feel for the asking price.  Who knows what the asking price is for Machado or Harper.  What is the maximum you would give them?  For Harper I would go $240 million over 8 years.  For Machado I would go $180 over 6 years.  

Just now, Stradling said:

I have heard that Eppler himself has checked in on every single possible free agent this off season to at least get a feel for the asking price.  Who knows what the asking price is for Machado or Harper.  What is the maximum you would give them?  For Harper I would go $240 million over 8 years.  For Machado I would go $180 over 6 years.  

Who knows what the market is when they haven't signed and all we have is leaked rumors?

I think each are probably worth long contracts at high salaries.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Who knows what the market is when they haven't signed and all we have is leaked rumors?

I think each are probably worth long contracts at high salaries.

Ok, but if you are going to be critical of what they are doing you have to have an idea what you would pay them.  You bring them up a bunch.  

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

so you agree with their decision regarding Corbin and the rest you really have no idea what their thinking is. they could have discussed Harper and Machado but they fell into the "not at any price" category. 

does that means you're ok with all of the other moves that have been made?

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, but if you are going to be critical of what they are doing you have to have an idea what you would pay them.  You bring them up a bunch.  

Just trying to be realistic that we dont really know what the landing spot will be.

I would pass at 12 year 480 million.

I would be all over it at 8 years $240.

But what is really going on with real world numbers?  We don't know.

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

1-2 year deal if you can?  Mous is not going to get a contract that can hurt the Angels.

specifically, what do you offer him? 

Ramos was never coming to Anaheim. you have to play it as if it's the real world. you know, like Eppler does. 

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I also wanted Wilson Ramos. . .

Lucroy might end up being a nice value signing though.

I, too, wanted Ramos and Corbin.  Neither of which were true options unless we gave stupid contracts.  

We had a ton of holes to fill.  We're going to have a few next year as well.  

But let's say we added Harper or Machado this year.  You're still gonna have a to pick a window.  And by pick a window, I mean spend more than current for a period of time.  

I don't think it's unreasonable to want Arte to spend a little more when the time is right, but you can't expect him to do that for an 8yr period.  So when do you open it up.  If you do it now, then you likely don't get to do it 3-4 years from now when the farm has turned into productive major league talent.   And if you did it now, who would supplement the team to make them a contender?  Because while I am hopeful of a wild card spot, I see a shit ton of risk on the current team.  Then you actually put yourself at risk for not only 'wasting' Trout's years but Machado or Harper as well.  

I am pretty sure that Arte would sign a player like Machado or Harper to complement Trout.  It just doesn't seem like the right time.  There are always going to be useful players to spend money on.  Maybe not quite to the level of those two, but also likely without as much long term risk.  I know that stuff could happen and certain players that you hope would be available might not be, but then there might be others you didn't expect.  

What I am ultimately hoping for is that having 30m to spend doesn't need to be spread among 5 or 6 players but is spent on one guy because all the other spots are set.  

51 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

6 years of Harper or Machado in their prime (27-32) will be better than giving someone 10 years from 32-42 no matter the situation.

the Angels could, by way of AAV, afford one of them. Plus, if the Angels “went over for the right player”, that would be doable given the prospect offset the price in a few years and Cozart, Pujols and Calhoun come off the books. That’s a potential of $56M leaving the books. 

I’m not saying the Angels should have signed one of them, but I’m just surprised we’re afraid of taking a risk because of past mistakes. 

Harper brings a guy with Bery good OBP numbers to hit in front of Trout and most importantly brings the eyes of the east coast and marketing revenue into Arte’s pockets. It’s a no-brainer to take that gamble on a 26 year old. If it was easy to take that gamble on a 32 year old for marketing purposes and a drug addict, then why do you run away when you have a chance at signing someone entering their prime that will direct attention and sales to the organization? 

Marketing Trout, Ohtani, Harper and Pujols  should be an owners’ dream. 

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

or accumulate debt by borrowing against it when we're already committing to a payroll that will end up in the 6-9 range overall.  while rebuilding.  with additional long term expenditures pending.  and needing to fill multiple holes on the major league club.  with a 95 win team in our division ahead of us.  and a farm system that is set to start helping.  

I would also note that the Angels have several potential extension candidates in the not-too-distant future:

1) Mike Trout

2) Andrelton Simmons

3) Shohei Ohtani

4) Jo Adell (far away but still something to potentially plan for)

5) Tyler Skaggs and/or Andrew Heaney

6) Griffin Canning

This doesn't even consider potential free agent or trade acquisitions. I think the road to sustainability is going to be expensive.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He still says that.

Also, the threshold has gone up. It doesn't automatically make the Angels have more money.

If you have $25,000 to spend on a car and I tell you that it's ok with me if you spend $30,000, that doesn't make you have more money.

Sooooo youre saying cody allen comes with tinted windows and ground effects?

I like it.