• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Democratic Field

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

He is such an elitist dick face

Yeah, that’s some BS there. I went to college with a lot of people that grew up in farming families. And yeah, the guy that runs a local liquor store or a fast food employee in those rural areas might be a dumbass (maybe), but the people running successful farms are most certainly not. Most of the time, in fact, they’re very well educated. Engineering, chemistry, and biology degrees are pretty common within that group of people in my experience. It takes a lot to keep a farm running. A knowledge of hard sciences, economics, and freakishly good/easily adaptable mechanical skills are an absolute must. People shitting on them like they’re all backwoods hicks with a fifth grade education is one of the things I really dislike about urban lefties. It simply isn’t true, and just a tiny bit of effort thrown towards understanding the issues in those communities would go a long way to getting past that.

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

The dude is an elitist New Yorker. He is as disconnected as an American can get  

18 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Unless it’s a deep fake it’s real

Combine it with his love of minorities.  Him and Steyer sure could have put that money to better use.

My issue with Bloomberg's quote on farmers and IT isn't that he says farmers can't be taught IT, it is that he's still following the outdated singular intelligence model of IQ. There are things a farmer can do that require a type of intelligence(s) that Silicon Valley nerds can never do. Just as, yes, there are things that nerds can do that  many farmers would have a hard time learning. With the caveat that these are generalizations and we really have to look at it on a case by case basis.

There are different types of intelligence. There isn't one correct taxonomy, but Howard Gardner's multiple intelligence theory is pretty good. He describes eight: musical, visual-spatial, verbal-linguistic, logical-mathematical, kinesthetic, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalistic. I've met brilliant people that can't crunch numbers worth shit or write a sonnet, but are extremely emotional intelligent (interpersonal) or self-aware (intrapersonal) or artistic, athletic, etc.

So basically, fuck Bloomberg.

Also, the way he’s describing what all goes into farming is a simpletons explanation of it.  Agriculture is quite complicated (goes without saying) there’s tons of science involved.  He’s just completely wrong. 

he appears to think it’s basically making a chia pet grow a coat of grass and that’s more or less it. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

13 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

My issue with Bloomberg's quote on farmers and IT isn't that he says farmers can't be taught IT, it is that he's still following the outdated singular intelligence model of IQ. There are things a farmer can do that require a type of intelligence(s) that Silicon Valley nerds can never do. Just as, yes, there are things that nerds can do that  many farmers would have a hard time learning. With the caveat that these are generalizations and we really have to look at it on a case by case basis.

There are different types of intelligence. There isn't one correct taxonomy, but Howard Gardner's multiple intelligence theory is pretty good. He describes eight: musical, visual-spatial, verbal-linguistic, logical-mathematical, kinesthetic, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalistic. I've met brilliant people that can't crunch numbers worth shit or write a sonnet, but are extremely emotional intelligent (interpersonal) or self-aware (intrapersonal) or artistic, athletic, etc.

So basically, fuck Bloomberg.

I actually don’t think the skill sets are terribly disparate from the farmer side. Data and data analytics applications have been gaining a lot of steam in the ag industry over the last 10 or so years. There are a lot of young people that grew up in that industry that understand the value of things like NDVI data and want to apply it (or have applied) it to ag endeavors. A lot of the old school guys aren’t developing apps of course, but there are plenty of younger people in that space that understand the value of modern information processing and how it can help their bottom line.