• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Democratic Field

41 minutes ago, Tank said:

i'd still like to hear someone with a plan to talk to the schools about their costs and how to reduce them. i hate this approach of raising taxes to solve the problem of spending. if they raise taxes on the 1% or wall street or whoever, you can bet it'll land on you and i.

fix the cost problem first.

Start by reducing federal student loans

College is a choice and it's not the best choice for some people.  If you choose to go to an out of state school, a UC or any other school that costs more than the local state school or even JC that's fine but that was a choice that person should have to live with, i.e. pay for.  Trying to buy votes from the millions with student loan debt by promising to pay some or all of that debt off is pandering.    

2 hours ago, Tank said:

i'd be okay with that, too.

i think we've made a mistake in thinking and promoting that success will only come to you by getting a degree from Prep U. and completely abandoned a ton of smaller colleges. You can't afford $60k a year to attend USC? okay, look into claremont college or college of the canyons or a thousand other schools.

and while we're at it, let's promote trade schools heavily. not wally thor and the truckmaster school of trucking (although it could be an option for some), but trade schools for welders, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, construction workers, etc. Lots of quality careers to be found there.

The only thing that's really changed is the amount of jobs that didn't used to require a college degree that now do. There isn't really significant value being added there, it's more of an arms race among job seekers.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

i'd be okay with that, too.

i think we've made a mistake in thinking and promoting that success will only come to you by getting a degree from Prep U. and completely abandoned a ton of smaller colleges. You can't afford $60k a year to attend USC? okay, look into claremont college or college of the canyons or a thousand other schools.

and while we're at it, let's promote trade schools heavily. not wally thor and the truckmaster school of trucking (although it could be an option for some), but trade schools for welders, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, construction workers, etc. Lots of quality careers to be found there.

The problem I'm seeing with these trade schools is that most, if not all, are for profit, and more than likely unregulated.  There have been a lot lately that have gone out of business, and left students with a lot of debt and no real transferrable credits in hopes of learning a trade.  Begging for debt forgiveness.

But I do agree with you.  Many should go to trade schools.  Construction workers, many in the entertainment industry, even computers don't need a college degree.  

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Start by reducing federal student loans

Looking at Sallie Mae.  I wonder, of the % that are crying for loan forgiveness have subsidized loans.  And what % have unsubsidized loans.  Because looking at the unsubsidized loan terms, man it can add up quick.  This is where institutions can really take advantage of those that go to college, even if they can't afford it.  

https://www.salliemae.com/college-planning/student-loans-and-borrowing/compare-federal-vs-private-loans/federal-student-loans/

Learn more about the three types of federal student loans:

• Direct Subsidized Loans are for students with demonstrated financial need, as determined by federal regulations. There is no interest charged while an undergraduate student is in school at least half-time, during deferment (a period when loan payments are temporarily postponed), or during grace (the period, usually six months after you graduate or leave school, before you begin to make principal and interest payments).
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loans are federal student loans that aren’t based on financial need. Your school determines the amount you can borrow based on the cost of attendance and other financial aid you receive. Interest is charged during all periods and will be capitalized (when unpaid interest is added to a student loan’s principal amount), even when you’re in school, during grace, and deferment periods. This increases your total federal loan cost.
  • Direct PLUS Loans are unsubsidized credit-based federal loans for parents of dependent students and graduate/professional students. PLUS loans can help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance (the amount of money your school estimates you’ll need to attend there one year), after your other financial aid is exhausted. Interest is charged during all periods and will be capitalized. This increases your total federal loan cost.

Biden has moved out into a clear lead in the latest Iowa poll, with Sanders not far behind. Warren is third and Mayor Pete a distant fourth.

Sanders and Warren are stuck in the Senate impeachment hearing for the next couple of weeks and cannot be in Iowa to campaign. Buttigieg has given up in Iowa and is in South Carolina to try and win over blacks who basically don't like him. Harris is getting ready to endorse Biden. Things are starting to become clearer.

Prediction for Iowa: Biden

52 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Sanders and Warren are stuck in the Senate impeachment hearing for the next couple of weeks and cannot be in Iowa to campaign.

Biden foresaw this happening and purposely leaked the info about Hunter Biden and Ukraine so that Trump would do something stupid and illegal, prompting an impeachment trial during the primary season that would tie up his two biggest opponents.

22 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Biden foresaw this happening and purposely leaked the info about Hunter Biden and Ukraine so that Trump would do something stupid and illegal, prompting an impeachment trial during the primary season that would tie up his two biggest opponents.

8D chess. 

30 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Clever GIF by memecandy

The Democrats are calling for witnesses including Mick Mulvaney and are prepared to go to court to contest the White House's inevitable executive privilege argument, tying things up for weeks or months in the courts. They hope to drag this into the summer when the campaign really heats up so when Ginsburg croaks, they can make the case that the time is not right for a confirmation hearing. Their ultimate hope is to take back the Senate, thus denying Trump any SCOTUS nominees during his second term.

16D Chess.

7 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

The Democrats are calling for witnesses including Mick Mulvaney and are prepared to go to court to contest the White House's inevitable executive privilege argument, tying things up for weeks or months in the courts. They hope to drag this into the summer when the campaign really heats up so when Ginsburg croaks, they can make the case that the time is not right for a confirmation hearing. Their ultimate hope is to take back the Senate, thus denying Trump any SCOTUS nominees during his second term.

16D Chess.

This is the dumbest thing I've read today.