• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Craziness... 3 way trade idea?

floplag

Now dont go overboard on this im just spitballing a crazy idea for those who would care to read it.  Just random message board fodder, nothing more.  Its a slow morning at work, saw a post that made me think, so i figured id waste a little time so here goes...

What if, the front office knows Trout isnt going to re-up.  They cant really say just trade him as he has a no trade so hes going to control where he goes.  

Philly is looking to go crazy, and one would assume in a win now mode. 

IF I was Eppler, and i know many of you are glad im not, i would get on the horn to Colorado and see if they are in a similar spot with Arrenado. 

If so i would try to put together some kind of three way that send Trout to Philly, Arrenado to Ana, and fill in the blanks with maybe something like Hernandez or prospects coming our way and whatever Col might need.  Per quick reading it suggest they have need at 2B and the OF, areas we can help or even let them get Hernandez and we build the farm faster.   Not sure what it would take names wise just spit balling an idea.  Maybe something like Fletcher or Cozart to Col to replace LaMehieu plus... 

Then sign Harper  :)  Move Calhoun to CF. 

There is no scenario you ever get full value for Trout, but getting something is also always better than getting nothing and the only way we trade him is to send him wherever he wants to go.  Assuming thats Philly of course.

Random craziness for a rainy Thu morning, lol  

So hypothetically @floplag you should probably have posted this next off-season when it is actually Trout's last season simply because the Angels can still compete this season and will not trade Trout for Arenado plus prospects plus signing Harper.

You probably should have rephrased the question to talk about next off-season in my opinion and you probably would not get the plethora of responses you have and are about to get.

As i said in the assumptions it isnt about what we want, if he isnt going to stay, something is better than nothing.  If thats the case which we dont know but im assuming the front office has a pretty good idea of.

Why Arrenado, simple, position of need and someone that might want to stay long term, plus, you replace the outfield spot with Harper. 

None of this is want, its how to deal with it if the assumptions are correct.   See random message board fodder comment.

Just now, ettin said:

So hypothetically @floplag you should probably have posted this next off-season when it is actually Trout's last season simply because the Angels can still compete this season and will not trade Trout for Arenado plus prospects plus signing Harper.

You probably should have rephrased the question to talk about next off-season in my opinion and you probably would not get the plethora of responses you have and are about to get.

Perhaps but Harper isnt out there next off season, he is now, effectively its swapping Trout for Arenado/Harper and a couple kids maybe.  Im sure the usual suspect will blast it but meh, just something to talk about while literally nothing is happening.   Only remotely realistic is Col is in the same bad place we would be with Trout, otherwise, its moot. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If I was to trade Trout to Philly the trade would start with Nola and Hoskins, then it would include their top 3 prospects.  

Im assuming Philly isnt trading key guys off the ML roster if they are in win now mode, otherwise i would agree.   But honestly, if im them and we ask for that, i just wait the 2 years, wouldnt you?  At that point hey basically know hes leaving. 

Far less complicated is sign Harper and just let the Trout thing play out as it will.  You really don't want to be the team that traded Trout.

In the meantime the Angels are better and if Trout leaves in two years at least you have a very marketable marquee player still in his prime to go along with the crop of farm talent surging.

19 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Far less complicated is sign Harper and just let the Trout thing play out as it will.  You really don't want to be the team that traded Trout.

In the meantime the Angels are better and if Trout leaves in two years at least you have a very marketable marquee player still in his prime to go along with the crop of farm talent surging.

i keep reading this but honestly, how is that worse than the team that got nothing for him?

A.  This is hypothetical.  B.  In this hypothetical, Trout WILL BE GONE.

You'd get more for him with two years remaining than with one.  I'd love to get Arenado + (prospects like Luis Garcia/Adonis Medina or young major leaguers), the chance at offering him an extention, and Harper (via FA) if we knew Trout was definitely not resigning or extending.

Simmons-Ohtani-Arenado-Harper-Upton is pretty sweet.

6 hours ago, floplag said:

Perhaps but Harper isnt out there next off season, he is now, effectively its swapping Trout for Arenado/Harper and a couple kids maybe.  Im sure the usual suspect will blast it but meh, just something to talk about while literally nothing is happening.   Only remotely realistic is Col is in the same bad place we would be with Trout, otherwise, its moot. 

The Phillies could look at the Angels and see that just having Trout in the lineup doesn’t guarantee winning. The Phillies wouldn’t give up that much just to trade for one season of Trout. I think it will take more than one team to complete a trade for Trout. The Angels will  need a long term solution at catcher and third base, not to mention a potential TOP. No one team will have that to trade. 

3 hours ago, floplag said:

Really... you see now way this franchise could compete without him?  Seriously?

Here are the Trout scenarios I could see happening.  

1.  He signs his extension now and we're good to go till a 2023/24 opt out

2.  He waits to sign an extension to see if the young talent we are relying on actually helps and the team spends some money to support that. 

3.  He doesn't sign an extension because everything went wrong while he was waiting to see what happened.  by the time we find that out it will be the deadline of 2020.  Even if we trade him at that point, whatever we get not only won't make up the difference for Trout, but it won't make up the difference for all that went wrong and 2021 is a dead year.  

I don't think Mike Trout is ever going to announce that he intends to become a free agent and that he doesn't want to stay with the Angels. I am sure the Angels will be made aware of his intentions but I don't think it'll be made public by his camp and I know it won't from the Angels camp.  

I also believe that he'll stay he if he believes that we can win.    I think the Angels will continually try to convince him of such as long as things continue to go as planned.  I believe that he won't ever be traded because I feel like the nuclear scenario of everything going wrong is so unlikely.  

So he's gonna stay, or we're gonna suck it 2021.