• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Heyman on Trout, not good...

floplag

Does it really makes sense that things have changed so drastically with Trout because the Angels didn’t get Corbin, Happ, or Ramos?  Is this the time Trout finally says “I can’t stay in Anaheim any longer because Eppler did not land Corbin.”? I doubt it.  

10 hours ago, Lou said:

but Trout enjoys spending his offseason in New Jersey. for those unfamiliar with what that looks like . . . 

image.jpeg

Remember when Erstad couldn't wait to get back to North Dakota after the season for some ice fishing? 

Maybe Mike likes all that winter stuff, seeing as he grew up there. 

Angels need to pull out all the stops to extend him, and if it doesn't work out, so be it.

Angels are waiting for Harper and Machado to set the market and then they will approach Trout with an extension. I'm guessing something like 10/350m. If you think he's getting 400m or 500m, you havent been paying attention to free agency the last 2 years. No one hands out stupid contracts anymore now that John Henry is no longer an MLB owner except maybe the Nationals.

Angels will offer Trout an extension this season to see if he's willing to stay here and if not, they will know that they have to trade him next season.

Just now, fan_since79 said:

Remember when Erstad couldn't wait to get back to North Dakota after the season for some ice fishing? 

Maybe Mike likes all that winter stuff, seeing as he grew up there. 

Angels need to pull out all the stops to extend him, and if it doesn't work out, so be it.

He seems to be able to spend his winters in NJ regardless of where he plays baseball.  

14 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Angels are waiting for Harper and Machado to set the market and then they will approach Trout with an extension. I'm guessing something like 10/350m. If you think he's getting 400m or 500m, you havent been paying attention to free agency the last 2 years. No one hands out stupid contracts anymore now that John Henry is no longer an MLB owner except maybe the Nationals.

Angels will offer Trout an extension this season to see if he's willing to stay here and if not, they will know that they have to trade him next season.

I agree with most of this. And keep in mind, Trout will be 3 years older than Machado/Harper at the time of free agency. If teams are reluctant to go 10 years on Harper/Machado at age 26, you would think there would be some reluctance to do the same for Trout at age 29.

A 10/350 offer to Trout would appear to me to be a damn strong offer.

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

I agree that 10/500 isn't happening, but there isn't much of a difference between 10/350 and 10/400.  If it takes an extra 50 million over 10 years to keep Trout an Angel for life, you do it.

IF Eppler actually believes that Trout won't sign an extension, I would take the following steps:

1) Talk to Arte and the accountants and put together your final, huge offer (which they should be doing anyway).

2) Meet with Trout and get final verification that Trout is wishy washy.

3) Make my final offer and give him a deadline  to accept (March 1?)

4) If he still says no, put him on the block.  Get the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies to bid against one another.

You can't risk letting him go for nothing.

I doubt this is the case, though. If Trout wanted out, we'd all know it by now. These whispers feel like conjecture or Boras playing games.

22 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I get the sense that they're never going to trade Trout similar to the way the nats didn't trade Harper.  They're always going to hold out hope of an extension.  

I disagree. I think the angels don't want to make the same mistake the Nats did and try and get a return for him. Plus Trout's market is a lot more certain than Harper's. The Yanks, Phils, Dodgers, and even RedSox will want him.

19 hours ago, stormngt said:

The later the extension the stronger the likelihood he test the market.  Get it done this year!  If he turns it down trade him midyear.  The only thing worse than trading Trout is letting him walk for a draft pick.

And it will put an end to these trade Trout stories and the Phillys are just waiting to sign him. I'm so sick of the trade rumors every other week or so.

1 hour ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

IF Eppler actually believes that Trout won't sign an extension, I would take the following steps:

1) Talk to Arte and the accountants and put together your final, huge offer (which they should be doing anyway).

2) Meet with Trout and get final verification that Trout is wishy washy.

3) Make my final offer and give him a deadline  to accept (March 1?)

Nah. It's entirely reasonable for Trout to want to see the Angels develop for one more season. Also, they're currently a fringe contender that could obviously use a 9 WAR megastar on their roster. If he's wishy washy in January 2020, then sure, you look into trading him for a smaller but not-insignificant return. But why tick him off now by putting him on the block?