• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell Comps

robblin17

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

That makes a ton of sense.  I mean, who wouldn’t want to know what is coming up from the farm?  I mean if you are weak enough to believe that every single one of them is going to be what Scotty says they will be, then it is probably best you ignore that thread all together.  Thank you for that.  

Except for the simple fact that if you read last year's reports, they included a likely outcome.  But if you're too lazy or illiterate to actually read those, then that's on you. 

Just now, Second Base said:

Except for the simple fact that if you read last year's reports, they included a likely outcome.  But if you're too lazy or illiterate to actually read those, then that's on you. 

This wasn’t about you.  I mentioned you because you have a very rosy outlook on Angels prospects and prospects in general.  If you didn’t read my post as being sarcastic then I will try harder next time.  I will also be very clear in this next point, I don’t think you are trying to brainwash people as Jay was suggesting.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This wasn’t about you.  I mentioned you because you have a very rosy outlook on Angels prospects and prospects in general.  If you didn’t read my post as being sarcastic then I will try harder next time.  I will also be very clear in this next point, I don’t think you are trying to brainwash people as Jay was suggesting.  

And I appreciate you clearing it up, but even on the realistic outcomes, they weren't exactly rosy last year.  A lot of 4th outfielders, utility infielders and middle relievers. 

16 hours ago, Second Base said:

It's just that we have had the same conversation over and over again in the minor league thread. As soon as you posted it, I could've told you what would happen. 

- You'd get a Justin Upton comp

- Some people would think that's too low.

- Fletch would roll in to remind everyone that Justin Upton is better than 98% of all prospects he's ever been compared to.

- Some folks would throw out George Springer as a comp.

- Some posters would jokingly yet not not jokingly call it racist that Jo Adell is compared to a bunch of black players. 

- Then there's a lot of "he's this guy, but faster" or "this guy, but stronger"

AND IF IT HASN NOT HAPPENED YET, YOU CAN EXPECT THREE MORE REPONSES....

1. The poster that says let's wait until he actually hits in the upper minors before making predictions.

2. Torii Hunter comp.

3. Someone is going to say "Brown Trout"

------If these three things haven't happened by tomorrow evening, I'll just roll in and say them myself.

Understood! So, what might be his floor? Or his range is somewhere between Upton-Springer-Hunter?

7 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

Understood! So, what might be his floor? Or his range is somewhere between Upton-Springer-Hunter?

If you're only asking my opinion, his floor is that of a 4th outfielder.  This only happens if his plate discipline never improves.  His ceiling would be a .300 hitter that hits 40 HR's and steals 30 bags a year with amazing defense.  Not sure what you want to call that.  Brown Trout?  And as for a likely result, probably a .275 hitter that hits 25 HR and steals 20 bases a year.  Whoever that is.  For me, his swing most resembles Torii Hunter, but my feelings aren't hurt either way.  

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

If you're only asking my opinion, his floor is that of a 4th outfielder.  This only happens if his plate discipline never improves.  His ceiling would be a .300 hitter that hits 40 HR's and steals 30 bags a year with amazing defense.  Not sure what you want to call that.  Brown Trout?  And as for a likely result, probably a .275 hitter that hits 25 HR and steals 20 bases a year.  Whoever that is.  For me, his swing most resembles Torii Hunter, but my feelings aren't hurt either way.  

Thank you.

18 hours ago, Second Base said:

And I appreciate you clearing it up, but even on the realistic outcomes, they weren't exactly rosy last year.  A lot of 4th outfielders, utility infielders and middle relievers. 

People are getting testy what with all the losing at the MLB level in recent years.  So even the guys you may have shit on people will say you sang their praises simply because you tend to focus on the things they can do .vs what they can't.   I don't mean that as a slam, I'm just saying that you tend focus on the positives it's not a bad way to look at prospects or go through life to be honest.   

17 hours ago, robblin17 said:

Floors will always be MLB back up types -- if you're asking for lower end potential outcomes....   Randal Grichuk with better wheels is a pretty solid comp if his plate discipline doesn't improve.  People won't like that comp but we are talking about a guy (Grichuk), with almost 10 WAR through age 26 despite only playing in 528 games.   For perspective -- Mike Moutakas who many here see as a difference maker of some kind had played 661 games through the same age (both broke into MLB at age 22), hit 17 fewer bombs (74 to 91), and had compiled an OPS+ of 91 to Grichuk's career 109 to date.

If you're looking for a mid-range projection, someone between a Grichuk and the loftier Springer/Upton comps I think Mike Cameron fits.   Cameron in his prime was a 20/20 guy.  Dude could play defense all day and had a cannon.  He didn't hit for average really but he grew into a decent OBP type...  Like Grichuk, Cameron isn't a name that Angel fans likely want to see as a potential outcome but Cameron was a massively underrated player IMO ... I think he best profiles the type of player Adell is currently..   Supremely athletic, low average, strong power, plus defense.  Again -- for perspective...  Mike Cameron finished his career with nearly 47 WAR-- the only Angels players to produce at least 45 WAR for this franchise are Trout, Finley, Fregosi...  Tim Salmon finished with 40...  So, while the name may seem deflating the dude had a wildly successful career.

TLDR...  All of this is noise....  people shouldn't really try to attach any hard opinions as to what Adell will become, the kid has ONE year of full season ball under his belt and who he is now and what he might look like at the end of next year could be totally different.  Through age 19, Jo Adell is super exciting, super easy guy to get behind, and an even easier guy to wish on when you look at his physical tools..   But he's young, and MLB is very very hard.