• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell Comps

robblin17

Deferring to guys that are more well versed in the minors and follow these players more closely. 

What would be some of your MLB comps for Jo Adell? I'm curious on ranges too, such as, if he reaches his full potential he is player X and worst case scenario he is player Y as a major leaguer.

I tried searching online for some, but did not really come up with anything great. 

Springer was drafted at 21 and didn't hit the majors until he was 24; Upton debuted at 19 and was a very good big league regular at 21. Adell seems to be tracking a little closer to the Upton path, hopefully. If he can basically be a more consistent Upton, I'd be happy.

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is Springer someone who has simply never learned how to steal bases?    He has a rep for being speedy, but the career SB% doesn't bear that out (41-68, 60%).

His sprint speed last year averaged 27.7 feet per second (27 is average, 30 is elite, Trout's usually a little over 29). Justin Upton was at 27.9 so it's pretty good but not necessarily the level of elite basestealers unless you can accelerate quickly or REALLY study pitchers.

11 minutes ago, jessecrall said:

Springer was drafted at 21 and didn't hit the majors until he was 24; Upton debuted at 19 and was a very good big league regular at 21. Adell seems to be tracking a little closer to the Upton path, hopefully. If he can basically be a more consistent Upton, I'd be happy.

His sprint speed last year averaged 27.7 feet per second (27 is average, 30 is elite, Trout's usually a little over 29). Justin Upton was at 27.9 so it's pretty good but not necessarily the level of elite basestealers unless you can accelerate quickly or REALLY study pitchers.

Has Springer's sprint speed deceased.   He started off early on stealing 16 out of 20 bases (80%) in 2015, and then only 20-41 (under 50%) since 2016. 

Upton is still pretty solid with SB%, 50-66 (76%) since 2015.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Has Springer's sprint speed deceased.   He started off early on stealing 16 out of 20 bases (80%) in 2015, and then only 20-41 (under 50%) since 2016. 

In 2015, Springer's was 28.8, 2016 it was 28.4 and in 2017 it was 28.0. So that's very consistent, steady decline. Not that sprint speed is perfect metric or anything but yeah, he's probably lost a solid step over the last few years.

35 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Right, and I’d be thrilled if matched it.  I just mean the tool kit is similar.  

Funny enough, this comment got me a Debbie downer ! 

Haha, that was from me. For some reason, Justin Upton doesn't seem that exciting of a comp. An .800 OPS guy with better-than-average power isn't as exciting as the hype surrounding Adell.

11 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Haha, that was from me. For some reason, Justin Upton doesn't seem that exciting of a comp. An .800 OPS guy with better-than-average power isn't as exciting as the hype surrounding Adell.

The legit hype around Adell, ie the reports from real scouts and journalists as opposed to cheerleaders, is that he has star potential, a developing but still-risky hit tool and currently boasts a 60 future value on the 20-80 scale. He COULD, if all his tools really flourish, do more I suppose, but right now, he has + regular/All Star potential, right in line with what Springer & Upton have amounted to in their careers. That's really good. If he has 4 seasons like that under team control, the Angels will absolutely take that as opposed to worrying that he isn't Trout or Mooookie or whoever.

43 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Reference my earlier comment.

Everyone is hoping adell is the next trout. He most likely isnt.

Upton is boring to some on here, because hes not a frontlining name. Hes not a trout. Or a bonafide superstar.

But hes a contending all star every year, for the last decade more or less.

His defense is shaky, hes not a big base stealing threat. But hes still a stud.