• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hall of Fame voting

2 hours ago, Ray McKigney said:

So weird to me that McGriff isn't going to get in. 

IMO McGriff should be a cinch, but I don't have a vote.

Of the remainder, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Curt Schilling (three assholes, two of whom are known steroid users) sit at around the 72-73 percent mark.

So far, Mariano Rivera has been named on every ballot submitted. You know that there will be someone who won't vote for him, just so that it won't be unanimous. That is such an asinine practice.

i still feel like those writers who were on the beat in the steroid era that are voting against those guys are being hypocrites. 
If they were in those locker rooms they had some idea what was going on, there is almost no way they couldnt.  I personally hold the media and mlb itself  as responsible as i do the players. the encouraged it, they hid it, they did everything possible to take advantage of it...then cut those guys loose and hung them out to to dry. 
I knew guys in high school in the 80s using this stuff, it isnt like it was just a decade or so that it was going on. 
If thier numbers count, they belong in the hall, its that simple.  off the field stuff and insinuations.. heck even proff in some cases, has nothing to do with it unless there is 100% reason to suspect they would not have made it without them, and that doent apply to any of the names in question in my opinion. 

I get what you are saying Flop but no, no one is more responsible for the steroid use than the ones injecting themselves with the stuff.  Writers are doing their job, selling articles.  Sometimes you sell articles by creating Ruthian stories and other times you sell articles tearing the player down.  It really is the nature of the business.  Also saying they knew the stuff was happening, it is no different than what we the fans should know.  It isn’t like Brady Anderson is telling Jeff Fletcher to hold the mic while he sticks himself with a needle.  There is seldom that kind of trust and if there was, those aren’t the reporters that are taking advantage of that situation later.  At least that is my take on it.  This is just another example, and we see it a lot, where we are supposed to ignore personal responsibility.  Not a lot different than Pete Rose.  

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I get what you are saying Flop but no, no one is more responsible for the steroid use than the ones injecting themselves with the stuff.  Writers are doing their job, selling articles.  Sometimes you sell articles by creating Ruthian stories and other times you sell articles tearing the player down.  It really is the nature of the business.  Also saying they knew the stuff was happening, it is no different than what we the fans should know.  It isn’t like Brady Anderson is telling Jeff Fletcher to hold the mic while he sticks himself with a needle.  There is seldom that kind of trust and if there was, those aren’t the reporters that are taking advantage of that situation later.  At least that is my take on it.  This is just another example, and we see it a lot, where we are supposed to ignore personal responsibility.  Not a lot different than Pete Rose.  

To be clear, i dodnt say or suggest they were more responsible, of course they were not, only that i feel they were culpable and not ignorant to what was happening, yet none said anything till it was en vogue to do so. 
Im not dismissing any responsibility of the players in any way, just not hanging them out to dry alone like MLB and the media have done to avoid their own failures in the matter. 
If i was seeing this stuff in high school in the early/mid 80s it was going on long before that at the professional level to have trickled that far down   

The Harold Baines thing is still under.my skin.

He never finished higher than 9th in an MVP vote.

He led the league in one category one time.  That's it.

He has none of the automatic milestones.

Obviously he was primarily a DH.

I stare at his numbers and think even if he was a GOOD outfielder defensively and contributed defensively, he still wouldn't be good enough to he a HOF.

He never scored 100 runs.  He never got 200 hits.  He never hit 30 homers in a season.

He had some longevity, yes, but as I said he also didn't accumulate one of the magic numbers over his career.

I just don't get it.

to report something like that without actual proof is as much of a disservice to the profession as having proof and not saying anything.  

I bet the number of media members that had actual evidence of steroid use was almost zero.  Then it becomes a game of he said she said where you are getting third party tales of what may have happened.   

I'm not sure anyone is looking to get sued for libel or put their neck on the block when they didn't have proof.  Plus, all sport writers have bosses who have bosses who work for large corporations that have to approve their content.  There is no way that anything would come close to going to print unless there was overwhelming proof that it happened in regard to the subject of making PED accusations.  On top of that, then it becomes a matter to be handled by the authorities.  

There are so many layers beyond hopping on your computer and writing a story.  

Bonds and Clemens have been getting votes since they become eligible.  What is the likelihood that a writer in Florida who has a vote would have known anything about either players particular situation?  Does it make them a hypocrite for not casting a ballot for either of those two if they suspected steroid use was rampant and heard rumblings of a couple Marlins players using because they didn't out those others guys on speculation?  

7 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Harold Baines thing is still under.my skin.

He never finished higher than 9th in an MVP vote.

He led the league in one category one time.  That's it.

He has none of the automatic milestones.

Obviously he was primarily a DH.

I stare at his numbers and think even if he was a GOOD outfielder defensively and contributed defensively, he still wouldn't be good enough to he a HOF.

He never scored 100 runs.  He never got 200 hits.  He never hit 30 homers in a season.

He had some longevity, yes, but as I said he also didn't accumulate one of the magic numbers over his career.

I just don't get it.

Harold Baines getting in is a joke.  If he's a hall of famer then so is Justin Upton.  And he's not a hall of famer.  

Stoked to see Mussina and Edgar finally get their due. Should’ve happened a long time ago. 

Kudos to Rivera. He deserves to be in the hall, but I find it bizarre and ironic that the first unanimous vote is a reliever. I guess when you’re the best at what you do, that’s what happens. 

Wish Roy was here to see this day. RIP. 

I think it’s hilarious that the writers aren’t going to vote Bonds and Clemens in.  They’re both jerks, so whatever, but no rational person could argue they don’t deserve it. If the numbers are borderline, sure, but c’mon - their numbers are in the conversation for GOAT as position player and pitcher. Steroids don’t make you the best - you have to already be a hall level talent for that. But whatever. ??

Bonds was already a two times NL MVP (one runner-up) when leaving the Pirates; and was a total player at that time (averaging 62 XBH's and 36 SB's a season as a Pirate).

Ironic enough, I think he's at worse a 2nd ballot HOF, if he didn't take the steroids.

He did obliterate the MLB career BBs record (over 2,500).   But while he was fearless at the plate, but how much of that was the totally armoured right arm being protected?   Should a player be allowed to protect the arm that much?