• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One Bold Idea....

Second Base

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It's not like his horrible start just happened and he didn't know why. He knows exactly why it happened. He had changed his swing to try to hit the ball in the air more, and it didn't work. He messed up his swing. He changed it back to a swing that worked.

Was it due to the RF wall being lowered, and wanting to hit more HRs?

10 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not sure he actually “found” his swing again. 

You’re right. He found a better one. I don’t think he’s ever had a 70 game stretch that good in his career. 

But that also doesn’t mean he’s going to repeat it or have to deal with whatever adjustments pitchers made, especially since there were signs in the last half of September that one or both started to happen.

The optimist in me looks at how significant the change was after working with Reed and considers that he’ll have that coach beside him every day now though, and I think there’s equal chance we see Cold Calhoun, regular Calhoun, or career Calhoun next year. Total wild card, IMHO.

Edited by totdprods

Whether the idea is plausible or not, I don't think Cozart is going anywhere unless/until he proves  his shoulder is sound....If he does that, he has some value as a SS, moreso than 2b or 3b....because his defense is solid and, though he'll probably never hit like he did in 2017, he can be ok with the bat....but until teams see his shoulder is good, he won't be included in any trade talk...

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It's not like his horrible start just happened and he didn't know why. He knows exactly why it happened. He had changed his swing to try to hit the ball in the air more, and it didn't work. He messed up his swing. He changed it back to a swing that worked.

...until mid-August, when he fell off a cliff again. That's worrisome.

16 minutes ago, Glen said:

...until mid-August, when he fell off a cliff again. That's worrisome.

And also not true. 

Aug. 10-Sept. 10, he slashed a very Kole Calhoun-ish .252/.358/.388/.746. 

The first week of September, he started getting a little unlucky - his BAbip plummeted to a number far below what he’d had since June started, when he maintained a pretty reasonable .300-.330 BABip) but he drew at least one walk in 9 straight games. He slashed .185/.410/.296/.707 in this time, walking more than striking out with a .235 BAbip. Not the prettiest, but also not 100% indicative of falling off a cliff. Small sample size, great discipline, ‘law of averages’, lower than usual BAbip...

But he did truly suck the last half of September. It was brutal, but only 69 (nice?) plate appearances so a chance that it was also truly bad luck. From 9/11 on, .098/.191/.197/.388 and a .119 BAbip.

Edited by totdprods

56 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And also not true. 

Aug. 10-Sept. 10, he slashed a very Kole Calhoun-ish .252/.358/.388/.746. 

The first week of September, he started getting a little unlucky - his BAbip plummeted to a number far below what he’d had since June started, when he maintained a pretty reasonable .300-.330 BABip) but he drew at least one walk in 9 straight games. He slashed .185/.410/.296/.707 in this time, walking more than striking out with a .235 BAbip. Not the prettiest, but also not 100% indicative of falling off a cliff. Small sample size, great discipline, ‘law of averages’, lower than usual BAbip...

But he did truly suck the last half of September. It was brutal, but only 69 (nice?) plate appearances so a chance that it was also truly bad luck. From 9/11 on, .098/.191/.197/.388 and a .119 BAbip.

.098 sounds unlucky to me....unlucky the he was on the active roster :P

Wil Meyers is not a good fit. If you trade Calhoun and replace him with Meyers you create an all right handed hitting team. If the Angels are going to make a trade it should be for lefthanded reliever, a 3B or catcher. If Brandon Marsh is ready in 2020 or 2021 he would be a good candidate to move to 1B. 

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

BABIP for a hitter is not the same as BABIP for a pitcher. Yes there is a major component of luck built in but the base line is still the batters talent level. I am very skeptical of calling a long run of bad BABIP performance bad luck when it is followed by a precipitous decline across the board. 

Even if you pull the BAbip from I posted about Calhoun, the slash still rings true - the BAbip was just an additional correlation. 

He was solid from his return to Sept. 11, and only really awful the last 69 PA.

30 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

Wil Meyers is not a good fit. If you trade Calhoun and replace him with Meyers you create an all right handed hitting team. If the Angels are going to make a trade it should be for lefthanded reliever, a 3B or catcher. If Brandon Marsh is ready in 2020 or 2021 he would be a good candidate to move to 1B. 

Marsh is probably the best defensive outfielder in their system. I imagine Upton would move to 1B if Marsh is good enough to start (assuming Trout's extended & Adell's a regular by 2021).