• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It's just 5 billions dollars like give him the wall

NrM

The wall is a stupid, unnecessary,  money pit. You think that the cost to build it will be it? How much is going to have to be budgeted every year for goddamn maintenance?

It will not serve its stated purpose. How high does it need to be? 30 ft? 45? You'll just see a black market for 31 or 46 ft ladders. 

The vast majority of the drugs coming into this country come through the existing ports of entry. The wall will have no effect on that, whatsoever.

And there's the whole issue of environmental damage (yeah, yeah, Red Hat Cult members give two fucks about the environment).

Then the whole issue of eminent domain and seizure of land to build the thing...

I am all for border security and trying to reduce illegal immigration. But Trump's wall has nothing to do with securing the border. Rather, it's purely symbolic: brown people are bad, and the United States doesn't want them in.

This is consistent with Trump's view of the world. Many of his supporters feel the same way. This is why he won't condemn white supremacists, wants to ban Muslims, and doesn't care that his government has now killed two young immigrant kids (because they are brown).  Trump's America is white, and the wall will help symbolize that. 

38 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I am all for border security and trying to reduce illegal immigration. But Trump's wall has nothing to do with securing the border. Rather, it's purely symbolic: brown people are bad, and the United States doesn't want them in.

This is consistent with Trump's view of the world. Many of his supporters feel the same way. This is why he won't condemn white supremacists, wants to ban Muslims, and doesn't care that his government has now killed two young immigrant kids (because they are brown).  Trump's America is white, and the wall will help symbolize that. 

No

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

This entire thing is comically ignorant.  

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

Holy identity politics Batman.

2 hours ago, Mark68 said:

The wall is a stupid, unnecessary,  money pit. You think that the cost to build it will be it? How much is going to have to be budgeted every year for goddamn maintenance?

It will not serve its stated purpose. How high does it need to be? 30 ft? 45? You'll just see a black market for 31 or 46 ft ladders. 

The vast majority of the drugs coming into this country come through the existing ports of entry. The wall will have no effect on that, whatsoever.

And there's the whole issue of environmental damage (yeah, yeah, Red Hat Cult members give two fucks about the environment).

Then the whole issue of eminent domain and seizure of land to build the thing...

Why is it in areas where a wall was built, like in San Diego, illegal border crossings went down dramatically?  Do you think the cost of yearly maintenance on a fence would be more or less than the yearly cost taxpayers spend on illegals?  What environmental damage will be done by a fence that mostly runs thru desert landscape, and does existing fencing hurt the environment?

3 minutes ago, full circle said:

We get it Phil, you hate white people and think it makes you cool and edgy to do so, like the other libs.  

Oh, full circle is getting after others for trying to be cool and edgy. Excellent. I guess that this is my day to berate people that can't sing. 

1 minute ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I didn't say that. My point is it's a drop in the bucket compared to the gobs of money we spend in matters that don't concern us. But. the government doesn't shutdown over that, does it?

Nope. Someone should tell that to Trump, who is the reason the government is shut down.

5 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Nope. Someone should tell that to Trump, who is the reason the government is shut down.

Lol no this is a collective failure of our government to negotiate and find common ground on something that is a negligible financial burden compared to our crazy spending in other areas. 

If Schumer and Pelosi were truly concerned with the American people they'd say: "sure, you can have your wall, only if you cut military spending by X percent". 

But they just want to be reelected and keep cashing their checks

It's funny how the politicians people choose to support are able to outsmart them so easily. I guess that happens when your head is in the sand

8 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I didn't say that. My point is it's a drop in the bucket compared to the gobs of money we spend in matters that don't concern us. But. the government doesn't shutdown over that, does it?

The lobbyists and corporations who benefit from us being in the Middle East make sure our elected officials are compensated for it so that it isn't in their best interests to make it a sticking point.  Not enough money to be made in securing the border because there's more money in cheap labor.  Your point is the sad truth of the reality that it always boils down to money and not what's best for this country, it's citizens or even much of the rest of the world.  As long as enough people on both sides will blame the other and get fired up about it (see this forum) nothing will change.

So if we get Trump's wall, will we then have two walls/fences/barriers? 

#MakeAmericaDoubleWrap

I look forward to the War on Drugs finally being won once we have Trump's wall. It has been a long time coming. Poor Josh Hamilton. 

41 minutes ago, full circle said:

Why is it in areas where a wall was built, like in San Diego, illegal border crossings went down dramatically?  Do you think the cost of yearly maintenance on a fence would be more or less than the yearly cost taxpayers spend on illegals?  What environmental damage will be done by a fence that mostly runs thru desert landscape, and does existing fencing hurt the environment?

1) Illegal immigration is down across the board. It has been decreasing over the last decade. Not just where a wall was built, over the ENTIRE BORDER. http://www.pewhispanic.org/2018/11/27/u-s-unauthorized-immigrant-total-dips-to-lowest-level-in-a-decade/

2) Illegal immigration does not cost as much as you, or Trump, think. https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/dec/05/donald-trump/donald-trumps-false-claim-about-cost-illegal-immig/

Despite popular opinion, they DO pay taxes. Sales tax applies to EVERYONE. Rent (and therefore contributions to property taxes from rent) applies to EVERYONE. They are not coming to use welfare, if anything, they are less likely to use it for fear of getting caught. Yes, their kids are being educated in US schools, but that is not the problem with funding (it's all the property tax offsets that corporations squeeze from local government go get them to build facilities there--which is, in fact, a form of welfare).

3) The wall will do nothing to prevent immigrants who are already here from overstaying their visas. https://www.apnews.com/011c4167bffd410ebfd8e5a3bf5c4781

4) Just because the border mostly lies in the desert doesn't mean there won't be environmental impacts. Hell, there have been environmental impacts to Joshua Tree NP since the shutdown. https://www.businessinsider.com/environmental-effects-trump-border-wall-regulations-2017-8

Deserts are also prone to the occasional flash flood, which the wall will do nothing to mitigate. https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/trumps-border-wall-cause-deadly-flooding-texas-federal-officials-planning-build-anyway/

4) The wall would also violate international treaty (not that Trump cares). https://thinkprogress.org/trumps-plan-to-build-a-wall-in-the-rio-grande-floodplain-is-both-absurd-and-illegal-9b2fe78df789/

5) How deep is the wall going to be? Tunnels are being dug under the border now. I don't see how that would stop with the building of the wall.

6) You never did address the eminent domain issue...