• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LOL at A's Kyler Murray

11 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

Eloy Jimenez, Nick Madrigal, Michael Kopech... 

It doesn't matter how many current White Sox players you can name, by 2020 all three of these guys will be major league studs.  Jimenez in particular is a breakout star in the near future.

Pump the brakes on assuming prospects as studs at the major league level. All they have are talented unproven young players.  

8 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Not yet. Declaring for the draft isn't the same thing as being drafted. Until he's drafted, the A's have the opportunity to pony up the dough to keep him out of football if that will actually change his mind (and the A's will actually spend on him). 

help me out here. are you saying he won't be drafted? 

also, my post was in response to the tweet I quoted, namely:

"Murray has informed the Oakland A’s of his intention to follow his heart to the NFL, where many project him to be a first-round pick."

7 hours ago, Lou said:

help me out here. are you saying he won't be drafted? 

also, my post was in response to the tweet I quoted, namely:

"Murray has informed the Oakland A’s of his intention to follow his heart to the NFL, where many project him to be a first-round pick."

I’m saying he’s keeping his options open. No analyst I’ve seen believes that Murray declaring for the draft means he  is ergo choosing the nfl over mlb. It’s a procedural move. They still have time to negotiate. 

@Lou

783894FF-CCF4-4A6C-A7BC-757BE46D4F09.thumb.png.16a70fb3703c82f021b7f494776a8ef7.pngD1798767-7E88-4BEF-98D5-522F86965BB0.thumb.png.8adc81a25933173b35c150261391175a.png

Schefter backtracked after his initial tweet also. Will Murray change his mind? I dunno. Have the A’s offered him money to do so? Not that I’ve seen. If they’d made an offer (which Mlb has allowed) to give him a 15mil major league contract and Murray had turned it down, that would be reported. In other words, “I’m following my heart...but it could still take a sharp turn back to baseball if you make it worth it for me. ?

5 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

Schefter backtracked after his initial tweet also. Will Murray change his mind? I dunno. Have the A’s offered him money to do so? Not that I’ve seen. If they’d made an offer (which Mlb has allowed) to give him a 15mil major league contract and Murray had turned it down, that would be reported. In other words, “I’m following my heart...but it could still take a sharp turn back to baseball if you make it worth it for me. ?

I think you're confused. I never said he wouldn't choose baseball. i truly believe he enjoys playing football more than he does baseball. I also think he'll end up playing football. 

as it stands now, which sport do you think he'll choose? 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I think you're confused. I never said he wouldn't choose baseball. i truly believe he enjoys playing football more than he does baseball. I also think he'll end up playing football. 

as it stands now, which sport do you think he'll choose? 

If nothing changes? Football. I think it is primarily, if not exclusively, a monetary decision for him. Both sports give him a shot of big money, but baseball will take longer. I don’t think he’s interested in waiting. It’s possible he changes his mind if they throw a big deal at him, but I’m skeptical the A’s or any other team (if his rights are traded) is willing to spend that much on an unproven player. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think it was a dumb move by the A's to take a chance at the #9 overall pick in the draft. 

If they took him late in the 1st round when all of the big talent was off the board, definitely. Not at #9 though. 

Good for them. I love to see our division rivals fail. 

For me this raises a very large question/concern about MLB.

I keep asking myself why would a guy that was already a first round pick in one sport, give it up to play another sport where he might be a first rounder?  Especially this kid, who is for lack of a better way to put it not of a prototypical body style for the position, which is to say hes small in a league where that tends to be a very bad thing.  His closest comp in terms of play style and size I think is maybe Wilson with about 20 pounds less on the frame?

So the question is... why?  Is it truly just more passion for one game than the other?  Perhaps, i dont know the kid.  But if im being honest i have to think the short term money also factors into it.  If hes taken in the first round at all hes basically guaranteed about 3 times what the As had given him and nearly twice as much in one check as signing bonus.  As i recall thats a 4 year deal versus 7 in MLB once you are even called up and god knows how long in the minor with the clock game.  Basically he will have made 3-5 times the money before he might have even been called up to Oak.  

Athletes that have a chance at other sports are taking it, largely for the money.

On January 13, 2019 at 3:28 PM, Sean-Regan said:

So it really isn’t which he likes better, it’s strictly financial. Not a huge surprise, tbh. 

"Football has been my love and passion my entire life," the 2018 Heisman Trophy winner wrote on Twitter. "I was raised to play QB, and I very much look forward to dedicating 100 (percent) of myself to being the best QB possible and winning NFL championships.

18 minutes ago, Lou said:

"Football has been my love and passion my entire life," the 2018 Heisman Trophy winner wrote on Twitter. "I was raised to play QB, and I very much look forward to dedicating 100 (percent) of myself to being the best QB possible and winning NFL championships.

Honestly Lou what do you expect him to say?  "its all about the benjamins?"  
If he gets obliterated day one and never plays a game in the league he will have made more from his signing bonus than he would have made with the As

On 1/9/2019 at 10:52 PM, Second Base said:

So much for all that talk from his dickhead agent Scott Boras about being committed to playing baseball and being an Oakland A. The A's wasted a draft pick because of this. I'm not an A's fan but I hate people getting screwed by others lies or indecisiveness.

Whatever. I never felt Kyler Murray was 1st round material anyway. I thought it was a stupid unnecessary risk Oakland took.

To be fair to old Scott, he also got screwed here (though very slightly). He's not an NFL agent, so Kyler will be using other representation for that NFL deal.

24 minutes ago, floplag said:

For me this raises a very large question/concern about MLB.

I keep asking myself why would a guy that was already a first round pick in one sport, give it up to play another sport where he might be a first rounder?  Especially this kid, who is for lack of a better way to put it not of a prototypical body style for the position, which is to say hes small in a league where that tends to be a very bad thing.  His closest comp in terms of play style and size I think is maybe Wilson with about 20 pounds less on the frame?

So the question is... why?  Is it truly just more passion for one game than the other?  Perhaps, i dont know the kid.  But if im being honest i have to think the short term money also factors into it.  If hes taken in the first round at all hes basically guaranteed about 3 times what the As had given him and nearly twice as much in one check as signing bonus.  As i recall thats a 4 year deal versus 7 in MLB once you are even called up and god knows how long in the minor with the clock game.  Basically he will have made 3-5 times the money before he might have even been called up to Oak.  

Athletes that have a chance at other sports are taking it, largely for the money.

the paths required to play at the highest level are much different in the NFL and NBA.  The amount of money given to any player in any sport is inversely proportional to the amount of risk in recouping that money.   The ability to project the success of an athlete is by far the most difficult in baseball.