• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LOL at A's Kyler Murray

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

seeing as the rule was collectively bargained, I don't see how MLB can allow this to happen . it could have some drastic ramifications. 

What I’m reading is that MLB would be willing to waive it since he already has a deal in place. Where their concern would be is if Oakland offered this before drafting him, which there is no indication of.  Ordinarily they wouldn’t waive that rule, but reason is that him shifting to football is a genuine possibility, so they would be willing to do so only under these unusual circumstances. 

24 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah as badly as I want to see the Athletics pull Murray away just for the sake of bettering baseball this seems awfully sketchy and could set a terrible precedent. 

Maybe a compromise like the Angels struck with Locker I believe, where they retain some rights to him and they do work out some sort of long-term option should he try being two-sport or if he decides against?

they would still retain his rights if he signs with an NFL team. no nfl team is going to allow him to play baseball. 

1 minute ago, ettin said:

This should be a wake up call for MLB to fix itself. They do a poor job of promoting the sport imo.

I don't think it has to do with marketing the sport. I think it's that owners are super greedy and suppress signing bonuses, minor league salaries, and entry-level contracts so much that it makes more sense to risk your body playing other sports if you can.

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

This should be a wake up call for MLB to fix itself. They do a poor job of promoting the sport imo.

They have a stupid system that makes players wait until they stop being productive to get paid.  So you lose guys  like this and you have offseasons like the last 2. 

And I read (not sure if it true) that MLB is considering waiving a rule and allowing the A’s to give this guy a major league contract.  That’s fu*cking bullshit.  It’s Oakland’s problem.  Don’t draft guys who might not play.  He’ll have to give back all the money.  This seems easy to me.  Give them a comp pick as if they didn’t sign him.  The contract is voided. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

If they let this kid hold them hostage and make an exception for him it’s opening a Pandora’s box.  If he wants football let him play football. 

I don't think they should make an exception. But I hope this serves as a lesson for MLB that they are driving athletes into other sports where the salary structure benefits the athletes more. Maybe screwing the kids for to save a few dollars isn't the best way to improve the sport in the long term.

personally don't see this as a failure of the mlb system.  It's a very unusual situation.  

1st round nfl draft picks go straight to the nfl with a much higher chance of success and contribution to the big club.  

MLB lays out way more on scouting and development by far.  

They already pull a ton of multi sport athletes away because most of them aren't Kyler Murray.  Jordyn Adams is a perfect example.  

Jo Adell could probably be a pro football WR.  Trout could probably have been a running back or free safety or linebacker.  

We call the MLB owners greedy, but NFL teams have much higher margins.  Those guys aren't hurting either.  

It's all relative.  

51 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

They have a stupid system that makes players wait until they stop being productive to get paid.  So you lose guys  like this and you have offseasons like the last 2. 

And I read (not sure if it true) that MLB is considering waiving a rule and allowing the A’s to give this guy a major league contract.  That’s fu*cking bullshit.  It’s Oakland’s problem.  Don’t draft guys who might not play.  He’ll have to give back all the money.  This seems easy to me.  Give them a comp pick as if they didn’t sign him.  The contract is voided. 

Also Shaikin made a good point:

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

Not sure it’s really a benefit to Oakland - they’d have to put him on the 40 man roster immediately, and within four years he would have no options. And he’d cost 15mil straight up. 

3 minutes ago, jordan said:

thanks.  never realized that rule before.  So I guess it just forces the A's to use up a 40 man spot earlier than expected.  Potentially accelerates his path to free agency.  In all likelihood though he'd be on the 40 within 3 years or so anyway.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

thanks.  never realized that rule before.  So I guess it just forces the A's to use up a 40 man spot earlier than expected.  Potentially accelerates his path to free agency.  In all likelihood though he'd be on the 40 within 3 years or so anyway.  

Yep this thing is resurrecting rules that have been rarely used.  And good point, he probably would be on the 40 within 3 years if he’s as good as they say he is.