• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LOL at A's Kyler Murray

10 hours ago, Randy Gradishar said:

I was wondering, can he sign an NFL rookie deal and then immediately bail with the guaranteed money? 

Football is better short-term, but baseball is faaaaaar better in every other way.

He probably sucks at both sports.

If it's any other position then baseball is the way to go, but QBs make great money. Especially first round QBs. I looked it up. 16 QBs make north of $20 million and 21 QBs make more than $15 million. There are only 32 starting QBs. Not only do they make great money they hit FA sooner. If he played baseball he's realistically looking at 3 years in the minors making jack shit. 3 years at league minimum, and then three arbitration years before he hits FA. So six years until he makes decent money and 9-10 years (depending on when he's called up) until he hits free agency and starts making real money. He'll be 31-32 when he hits FA, if he even gets there. What percentage of top 10 picks even make the majors in MLB? Is it higher than 70%? What percentage make it 6 years? Even if he makes it to FA how has that been going? MLB hasn't been exactly been dishing out huge contracts to mid-tier FAs over 30. Plus his signing bonus is only $4.5 million.

Lamar Jackson was the last (or second to last) pick in the first round last year. He received a $4.9 million signing bonus . This send like a worst case scenario for Murray. He'll be a FA in 4-5 years depending on if Baltimore picks up his option. Jameis Winston had his option picked up for $19 million. QBs now play to their mid 30s. Rules are designed to keep QBs from getting hurt. It's not risk free. They certainly get beat up more than baseball players, but baseball isn't risk free and being a QB isn't the same as playing free safety. 

If he's a first round pick (I think he will be) he'll get a bigger signing bonus. He'll play earlier. He'll hit FA earlier. If he's average at both football and baseball he'll make more money playing football. It all comes down to how much the injury risk/long term damage is worth. I don't think financially it's really an argument between football and baseball.

4 hours ago, jordan said:

So he’s really 5’8”. Those numbers are always higher than what they actually are unless you’re Shaq. 

it's the 21st century, these kids attend camps where they are measured. they dont merely take the coaching staff's word for it.

Reminds me of the discussions on here when the Angels had the rights to Jake Locker and he opted for the NFL.  His career didn't work out like he hoped but he still made over 12M playing out his rookie contract.  If Murray goes in the first round he's guaranteed more than 5M with his rookie contract and if he plays the full contract stands to make at least 10M depending where he's drafted.  If he goes top 10 he's looking at over 10M guaranteed and about 18M if he plays out the full contract.  Most QB's are obviously taller but guys like Brees and Wilson have been successful and if Murray thinks he can be as well or simply prefers football then good luck to him.       

This reminds me a lot of Jeff Samardzija of the SF Giants.  It only worked out for him because he got that huge 2nd contract from the Giants when he signed as a FA for 5 years / 90 million.  Of course he was a WR and not a QB and he had good timing when it came to his FA period.  He definitely wouldn't receive the contract he got if he's a FA now instead of 2015-2016.  I don't blame Murray for picking football.

This article lists him at 5'9" and I've heard that's generous. He also weighs like 165-175. That's tiny for an NFL QB who has to throw over 6'5" OL.

He's not going to succeed in Football because of his stature. I think the combine will set everyone straight. No way he's the first pick in the draft.

https://newsok.com/article/5606862/kyler-murray-era-begins-with-ou-doubling-down-on-short-quarterbacks

Not sure why a lot of people are knocking the kid. He signed with Oakland before he had ever even played a full season with the Sooners. Now that he has. I can't blame him for wanting to take a shot at NFL considering football has always been reported to be his first love. 

Also not sure why people dont think he can make it in the NFL purely based on his size. I believe a whole bunch of people were saying the same thing about another OU quarterback named Baker Mayfield. Time will tell if he pans out, but so far the critics have been wrong about Baker. Seems that Lincoln Riley knows how to make quarterbacks so far.

Also, Kyler is a good kid. I wish him the best in whatever sport he chooses (hope its football so I don't have to root against him as an A.) But the heavy criticisms of him seem to be weak. Only time will tell though.

56 minutes ago, Hubs said:

This article lists him at 5'9" and I've heard that's generous. He also weighs like 165-175. That's tiny for an NFL QB who has to throw over 6'5" OL.

He's not going to succeed in Football because of his stature. I think the combine will set everyone straight. No way he's the first pick in the draft.

https://newsok.com/article/5606862/kyler-murray-era-begins-with-ou-doubling-down-on-short-quarterbacks

MLB lists him at 5' 11" 195 lbs. 

I doubt he goes first. But I don't think top 10 is unreasonable. He's probably better off financially playing football if he's taken in the first or second round. If he actually believes he will become a decent starting player in both sports he's better off financially playing football. Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick who is a perfectly average QB. He just signed a 3 year $84 million deal. You don't have to be a HOF to get huge money as a QB in the NFL. If you're a hall of famer in either sport you make more than enough money, but if you're average then you're better off playing football. 

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

other than 1 person claiming he's 5'8", who is knocking him? 

Me. And I think he's super talented college QB, but he is just too small to play in the NFL. He makes Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield look tall. And they're among the shortest in the league.

As a basbeall player, he plays OF, but looks so small to me. Here he is next to Baker Mayfield who is just 6'. And Baker is bending down further. Scouts say he isn't close to 5'10, so maybe he's 5'9, but a 5'9" QB is not going to be a 1st round pick.

He should stick to baseball.

https://goo.gl/images/fes5BR

20 minutes ago, Lou said:

other than 1 person claiming he's 5'8", who is knocking him? 

Oh I didn't specifically mean it was all people on here. Hubs has some criticisms of him but he explains what they are and why. I dont take issue with that. I was meaning in general I'm seeing it a lot, just knocking the kid and not explaining why. Unfortunately, this is one of the only places I have an account to Express my view on it. I only lurk elsewhere. Lol.

2 minutes ago, OK-LA Angels said:

Oh I didn't specifically mean it was all people on here. Hubs has some criticisms of him but he explains what they are and why. I dont take issue with that. I was meaning in general I'm seeing it a lot, just knocking the kid and not explaining why. Unfortunately, this is one of the only places I have an account to Express my view on it. I only lurk elsewhere. Lol.

got it 

13 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Me. And I think he's super talented college QB, but he is just too small to play in the NFL. He makes Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield look tall. And they're among the shortest in the league.

As a basbeall player, he plays OF, but looks so small to me. Here he is next to Baker Mayfield who is just 6'. And Baker is bending down further. Scouts say he isn't close to 5'10, so maybe he's 5'9, but a 5'9" QB is not going to be a 1st round pick.

I agree he is small. But I'm starting to wonder with the way football is shifting it might not matter as much anymore. He played behind a line where 4/5 of them are entering the draft. With someone who is as versatile as he is. I dont see the height affecting him too much. He has options to bolt and throw from a bit further back and has a strong arm and is quite accurate. I think that right there gives him a shot. 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

6'1"

Mayfield measured in a 6' 0.625" at the combine. We'll see how Murray Measures. And if he runs a 4.1 or 4.15 which he might be able to do, it won't matter how tall he is.

36 minutes ago, Lou said:

Not one scout was referenced in that article. (Berry Tramel is a writer, not a scout)

Also, considering a 4.1 time in the 40 would be the fastest in the history of the combines by a tenth of a second, I highly doubt he does it

I thought Vick ran in the 4.15-4.20 range, but I guess it was Bo Jackson I was thinking of.

Ok, so 4.25-4.3...still elite speed, which he supposedly has.

"Former Heisman-winning tailback and College Football Hall of Famer Bo Jackson says his renowned record-setting time of 4.12 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine in 1986 never happened as it has been previously reported.

Jackson, who was selected No. 1 overall by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, supposedly posted the time before he was drafted during the combine's infancy. Oakland Raiders team historian Jerry Knaak reported Friday that Jackson's blazing fast time never happened since the multi-sport star skipped his combine invite that season.

Jackson has now confirmed Knaak's story.

"I did not go because I was already picked to be the first person to go in the draft," Jackson said, according to Raiders.com. "If you're going to be the first person to go in the draft, why should you go to a combine and do all of that? It wasn't built up like it is now. Now it's a TV production; it's a whole show."

4 hours ago, Hubs said:

Also, forgot to add. Kyler Murray will be a first pick.