• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Interest in Will Smith and Tony Watson

JAHV

50 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Well by most accounts, they're right up against their budget and seemingly about to go over. So the only way to "go for it" any harder in 2019 would be to trade everything for Realmuto, Arrenado, Kluber, etc. Or get a new owner.

They aren't rebuilding this year, they're trying as hard as possible to win without Dipoting the future.

Trading some pieces like a Calhoun or Cozart (if there’s any value at all) could keep us around the same dollar amount. Plus, it’s only an internal budget they set. They could spend another $40M right now and still won’t pay any tax. 

2 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Can’t you tell we haven’t had much to be excited about in awhile? 

1. We are not trading Kole.

2. We are not trading for MadBum. And or Smith, Watson and or Melacon.

3. We are not trading for anyone who earns more than 555k.

4. Now, that I've bummed you out. Think of better days when "Frosted Tips" in a full season could have projected out to hit .360 with 50 Bombs 125RBI and an OBP of .389.

Time to play the canary trick and toss a blanket over your cages until SPT.

Prost~

48 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

1. We are not trading Kole.

2. We are not trading for MadBum. And or Smith, Watson and or Melacon.

3. We are not trading for anyone who earns more than 555k.

4. Now, that I've bummed you out. Think of better days when "Frosted Tips" in a full season could have projected out to hit .360 with 50 Bombs 125RBI and an OBP of .389.

Time to play the canary trick and toss a blanket over your cages until SPT.

Prost~

Juan Rivera was a beast and a foul ball bat sniffin' fool.  He turned the BART into his Ho shuttle.  

I included Will Smith in my Angels options series back in October. He was one of few established relievers who I thought fit Eppler’s MO. 

I asked specifically if the Angels had been in on him at the winter meetings and was told no. Of course that was a long time ago. 

I also assume the Angels would be looking st Smith or Watson, not both. 

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

I included Will Smith in my Angels options series back in October. He was one of few established relievers who I thought fit Eppler’s MO. 

I asked specifically if the Angels had been in on him at the winter meetings and was told no. Of course that was a long time ago. 

I realize they don’t leak anything at all, but do you get the impression we will see a mid level signing or a big signing before the start of the season? 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Give us a likely scenario of a trade. What does it look like (hypothetically) if the Angels trade for Smith and Watson? 

What does it look like if Bumgarner is also thrown in there? 

Seems to be some chance San Francisco is pursuing DJ LeMahieu, and are exploring trades with teams involving Joe Panik. I could see the Angels having interest there too. Good defense, league-average bat coming off a poor season, two years of control, fantastically low K%, affordable salary, all the hallmarks of an Eppler trade. His upside is that of a .280/.350/.400 lead-off hitter candidate too, which would fit nicely for the Halos.

Could make parting with some prospects for a SFG reliever a little more achievable, especially if someone like Rengifo, Fletcher, or Ward were involved. Offering a long-term IF replacement to SFG in return for immediate help at 2B/RP, while using fairly redundant prospect currency.

Edited by totdprods

37 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Seems to be some chance San Francisco is pursuing DJ LeMahieu, and are exploring trades with teams involving Joe Panik. I could see the Angels having interest there too. Good defense, league-average bat coming off a poor season, two years of control, fantastically low K%, affordable salary, all the hallmarks of an Eppler trade. His upside is that of a .280/.350/.400 lead-off hitter candidate too, which would fit nicely for the Halos.

Could make parting with some prospects for a SFG reliever a little more achievable, especially if someone like Rengifo, Fletcher, or Ward were involved. Offering a long-term IF replacement to SFG in return for immediate help at 2B/RP, while using fairly redundant prospect currency.

I agree with this! Panik also being a left hand bat could lend a hand as well!

12 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Give us a likely scenario of a trade. What does it look like (hypothetically) if the Angels trade for Smith and Watson? 

What does it look like if Bumgarner is also thrown in there? 

I think Smith or Watson could be had for someone like Michael Hermosillo. For both of them, maybe Suarez?

Bumgarner is probably going to cost something like Brandon Marsh. I'm not sure the Angels really have what the Giants would want for Bumgarner. Similar to the Marlins and Realmuto, the Giants I believe want a young major leaguer or a prospect ready for the major leagues. I'm not sure if the Giants would like David Fletcher or Taylor Ward. 

12 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think Smith or Watson could be had for someone like Michael Hermosillo. For both of them, maybe Suarez?

Bumgarner is probably going to cost something like Brandon Marsh. I'm not sure the Angels really have what the Giants would want for Bumgarner. Similar to the Marlins and Realmuto, the Giants I believe want a young major leaguer or a prospect ready for the major leagues. I'm not sure if the Giants would like David Fletcher or Taylor Ward. 

Would throwing in Calhoun or maybe a Cozart work in some form? If so, how?

How about Barria instead instead of Marsh?

16 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I'd be down for Suarez for both relievers, provided he was the bulk (say one low-level name) or entirety of what we gave up. 

It's a steep price, but to land two arms of that caliber for only one player, even if they're both here for one season, is a pretty good deal.

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Panik needs a high BA to have a decent OPS.   Two seasons under .700 OPS since 2016

Focus on signing Lowrie or Moose, plus Ottavino to two year deals.    Keep all of the Rondons at least into July. 

Panik really isn't all too different than what we have in Fletcher. Both will have their BA/OBP/OPS heavily swayed by whatever their BAbip winds up being. 

Fletcher has the upper-hand on defense, control, cost, and options, but both are really pretty similar. That could give both teams reason to explore a trade though. The Giants are retooling, the Angels are trying to win now without destroying their future. The Giants basically hit 'reset' on Joe Panik and get the same thing for cheap and less control, the Angels get a 'proven' version of Fletcher that is a little more limited with versatility but brings a lefty-bat and some track record. 

One for one, that deal does not make sense for the Angels. But if the deal was something like Panik, Watson, and Smith for I dunno, Fletcher, Brennon Lund, and Jake Jewell it makes more sense. Or Panik/Watson for Fletcher + Castillo. Not exactly what I would pursue, but I am interested in Watson and Smith and it isn't too difficult to see something like this be an option.

Edited by totdprods