• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dallas Keuchel

Docwaukee

I'm feeling some Angel fan desperation.  Do we really want to sign this guy?  It's gonna cost at least 4/80 plus the loss of a 2nd round pick.  

I honestly don't think it will happen, but lots of posters throwing his name out there.  

So what is your Keuchel threshold?  Mine is 3/54 plus a vesting option.  

Wouldn't really like to see him added - I'd prefer the money be used on an infielder like Moose or Lowrie and/or a reliever (Ottavino?) or three (Hudson, Liriano, Karns?) and see what happens there.

I think at most, 3/$60m, maybe some performance/durability incentives that take it as high as $75m, and definitely not offering a full NTC. And if we're willing to spend $20-$25m annually, hell I'd just as soon see what's up with Manny or Harper.

i for one am not interested at anywhere near the rumored costs on this guy.    I just dont see him as an ace and there are issues hard to ignore.  I think hes due for a very large decline. 
Putting that money into an impact bat would have far greater effect on the overall outcome of this team in my opinion.   My second choice would be an anchor for the pen.  

Personally, i'm baffled how we could have been finalists for players like Corbin. Eppler said he wants to be a top 5 farm and we would have lost a pick for some of these signings. This leads me to believe that the Angels really aren't as hard pushed for those guys and that's why they aren't going to overpay. 

With that said.... I don't even think we are considering Keuchel. They reported last year that we offered Moose a contract then there were reports we never even talked to him.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind signing Keuchel. They have him projected that $20M/year could be possible and I'm not sure at all about that. But it seems like we need a solid starter. 

Personally, I'd wait till net offseason and start making good moves again. I think that's why we've done all these 1 year contracts. Low risk-medium upside with a shot at WC if all goes well. Next year could be the start of consistent runs for the division. 

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm feeling some Angel fan desperation.  Do we really want to sign this guy?  

No.

If he were the last piece to making a run this year - but he's not.  And while I don't see much evidence of any huge declines in him, age, a soft tosser, and rising contact rates all - in my mind - point to a Weaver-like sudden decline in the near future.  

I think he'd provide some reliability in the starting staff for awhile - another year, maybe two - but I'm not sure he's the priority right now.

15 minutes ago, floplag said:

i for one am not interested at anywhere near the rumored costs on this guy.    I just dont see him as an ace and there are issues hard to ignore.  I think hes due for a very large decline. 
Putting that money into an impact bat would have far greater effect on the overall outcome of this team in my opinion.   My second choice would be an anchor for the pen.  

Agreed. With Cahill and Harvey I think Eppler is done with signing starters, although I wish he did more instead of one year deals.

I think our needs are:

Bullpen arm

True hitter to hit in front of Trout

Expanded budget

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

I like him. He's relatively cheap it seems. I like his style in our park. He's been good there. Very good. But that might be due to the competition...

I would wait out the market and see where it goes. If he could be had for a reasonable price, I'd consider it.  Problem is you can't wait forever when there are other options out there.  Last year, Eppler moved on after Boras and Moustakas rejected what was the best offer they would receive.  It would have been a good deal for both parties, as we now know, but you can't wait forever, as Boras seemingly wants teams to do.

I am not saying I want to sign this guy, nor do I think it is a good idea. I’m just wondering about the significance of a “top  5 farm?” Once we reach D a “top 5 farm” is that when we are able to trade off assets? Does a “top 5 farm” guarantee wins at the big league level?

Maybe I am well off. I just don’t see the significance in a big retirement savings plan when a person doesn’t plan on using the savings in the first place. So I don’t see a point in the necessity in a “top 5 farm” if that means passing on the right fits IF that happens in free agency or through trades. 

I do admit though, Keuchel's ground ball tendencies would really play up in front of Simmons and Fletcher or Cozart.  That and leaving Minute Maid PArk.  He could have a career year with the Angels.  But still, no.  Iw ouldn't trade Griffin Canning and 80 million for Keuchel, that would be insane. 

24 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I do admit though, Keuchel's ground ball tendencies would really play up in front of Simmons and Fletcher or Cozart.  That and leaving Minute Maid PArk.  He could have a career year with the Angels.  But still, no.  Iw ouldn't trade Griffin Canning and 80 million for Keuchel, that would be insane. 

So maybe a better question is, at what price does he become acceptable? 4/$60m? 2/$48m with an option?