• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your concerns regarding 2019 Angels

Stradling

My concerns

How long do they stick with the AP experiment..   Coming back from injury..  AGAIN....  Further and further removed from a decent season.   Still no signs that he's aware of his diminishing skills.   Well, thats not fair, he's likely aware but he still thinks he can beat father time.

The pitching staff in general -- there is some volatility there.

Ausmus -- he was just a guy in Detroit.

The clubhouse.   A lot of changes, how they all mix will be interesting to see albeit it this is less of a concern and more of a curiosity for me.

Arte -- does he have a knee-jerk reaction and revert to old habits if things don't go well or trust the process.

49 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

And Detroit was just an old school team that wasn't wrapping itself in analytics because they had Cabrera, Victor and JD Martinez. Ausmus was managing the way ownership wanted the team managed and when the superstars faded it exposed the weaknesses.

He spent a year with Eppler and it wasn't just to be pals, they were creating their own system of how the team was going to be managed from the end of the Scioscia era, on.

The manager search, I believe, was just to appease baseball that equal opportunity was being incorporated but Eppler's mind was made up a long time ago. He had his trainee and wasn't going to waste time setting up the ground rules with someone new.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

How long do they stick with the AP experiment..

He knows exactly what the club expects of Pujols and what playing restrictions will be enforced if he can't play to league average. There will no longer be veteran priority over a productive player and Ausmus has the backing to make those calls.

Ausmus also knows exactly what we have in the minors and what to expect for support should he need a replacement player. His time was spent with Eppler pouring over prospect reports and projections, he knows the guys he will be getting, what they can and can't do. Moreso than Scioscia ever did.

I'm not worried at all about Brad Ausmus managing the Angels. His success is going yo be more affected by player performance and endurance than if he doesn't call for a pitch out or a hit and run.

Bullpen #1.  We are relying on some guys living up to small sample sizes which is concerning.

SP is a concern but not as much, there is a lot of depth there, though still full of oft injured dudes.

I would say #2 is offense though.  The offense was pretty weak last year and it doesn't look any better this year.  Big hole in the leadoff spot, and we don't know how Shohei will be coming off TJ.  In theory it shouldn't affect his swing but I am always nervous with stuff like this.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

My concerns

How long do they stick with the AP experiment..   Coming back from injury..  AGAIN....  Further and further removed from a decent season.   Still no signs that he's aware of his diminishing skills.   Well, thats not fair, he's likely aware but he still thinks he can beat father time.

The pitching staff in general -- there is some volatility there.

The clubhouse.   A lot of changes, how they all mix will be interesting to see albeit it this is less of a concern and more of a curiosity for me.

Arte -- does he have a knee-jerk reaction and revert to old habits if things don't go well or trust the process.

But would you be aware of that if you like $80M left on the table? He's probably laughing to the bank at this point enjoying all his injuries.

13 minutes ago, Blarg said:

And Detroit was just an old school team that wasn't wrapping itself in analytics because they had Cabrera, Victor and JD Martinez. Ausmus was managing the way ownership wanted the team managed and when the superstars faded it exposed the weaknesses.

He spent a year with Eppler and it wasn't just to be pals, they were creating their own system of how the team was going to be managed from the end of the Scioscia era, on.

The manager search, I believe, was just to appease baseball that equal opportunity was being incorporated but Eppler's mind was made up a long time ago. He had his trainee and wasn't going to waste time setting up the ground rules with someone new.

He knows exactly what the club expects of Pujols and what playing restrictions will be enforced if he can't play to league average. There will no longer be veteran priority over a productive player and Ausmus has the backing to make those calls.

Ausmus also knows exactly what we have in the minors and what to expect for support should he need a replacement player. His time was spent with Eppler pouring over prospect reports and projections, he knows the guys he will be getting, what they can and can't do. Moreso than Scioscia ever did.

I'm not worried at all about Brad Ausmus managing the Angels. His success is going yo be more affected by player performance and endurance than if he doesn't call for a pitch out or a hit and run.

You have come to more conclusions than I have it seems.  I made no aspersions towards his managing job in Detroit, I said he was just a guy.  Why he managed the way he did, I dunno he just didn't do anything one way or another to set himself apart/stand out -- good or bad.. 

What I do know is managing a clubhouse was Mike Scioscia's actual strength, so this the one area where there is uncertainty after two decades of relative stability.   The rest is just baseball.

Edited by Inside Pitch

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really do enjoy the fact that we won't have Sosh playing the contract game. Mad respect to Ausmus stating it's "performance based". If he backs his words up and Pujols runs into issues this year then he might realize it might be time to retire from being a player. He'd make a great mentor/coach at this point. 

9 minutes ago, nate said:

Bullpen #1.  We are relying on some guys living up to small sample sizes which is concerning.

SP is a concern but not as much, there is a lot of depth there, though still full of oft injured dudes.

I would say #2 is offense though.  The offense was pretty weak last year and it doesn't look any better this year.  Big hole in the leadoff spot, and we don't know how Shohei will be coming off TJ.  In theory it shouldn't affect his swing but I am always nervous with stuff like this.

What scares me is Eppler relying on guys who only throw hard. Yes, a fastball is swing and miss, but even with Ohtani throwing 100mph.... it's still hittable and it goes a long way when it is. I liked Alvarez because it brought a different style to the pen. If everyone throws 95mph+ then the opposing team won't have to make big adjustments. 

2020 our SP depth will be good so I totally agree.

I'm tired of never having a solid hitter in front of Trout. Ohtani has the speed to be that guy, but he's a true #3-#4 hitter. 

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Mad respect to Ausmus stating it's "performance based". If he backs his words up and Pujols runs into issues this year then he might realize it might be time to retire from being a player. 

If....  It's easy to talk about it.  Until he actually does it, it's just talk.  I think everyone hopes it wasn't just talk.

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

Exactly. Either he backs up his words or the fans back up his words in the stands haha.

I'm not trying to bag on Pujols, but it's about time to transition.

I admire the fact that he still wants to be the guy and is willing to put in the work....  He could have taken the money and laughed his ass off like you said, but at some point the dude needs to step back and take a realistic look at who he is now.   I wish he would pull a Mike Schmidt, accept he isn't who he used to be and walked away gracefully. 

I've always respected Mike Schmidt for the way he bowed out when he realized he couldn't do the things he used to.  Dude made no excuses... He basically said, I can't do Mike Schmidt things anymore, and if I can't .... I'm out!  

1. The leadoff spot, which is why I want Lowrie. 

2. The rotation. Still not sold on what we have but I hope I'm wrong.

3. Counting on too many players to have a dead-cat bounce.

4. Too much Pujols.

5. The pen.

Get Lowrie and a pen arm and I'll feel a lot better.

24 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I admire the fact that he still wants to be the guy and is willing to put in the work....  He could have taken the money and laughed his ass off like you said, but at some point the dude needs to step back and take a realistic look at who he is now.   I wish he would pull a Mike Schmidt, accept he isn't who he used to be and walked away gracefully. 

I've always respected Mike Schmidt for the way he bowed out when he realized he couldn't do the things he used to.  Dude made no excuses... He basically said, I can't do Mike Schmidt things anymore, and if I can't .... I'm out!  

I'd respect that too and I think he isn't ego based so we could see him gracefully retire the right way. Angels play St. Louis this year so it could be his farewell tour...

It's very reasonable for AP to retire after 2019.   There is no way no how that a 40 year-old (in 2020) with his damaged knees and feet should be playing.  He's had exactly ZERO WAR cumulative since 2016.   He gets one more visit to St. Louis in 2019, and it's not that hard to spread out the remaining $59 million salary (2020-2021) over the ten seasons of his personal services contract (2020-2029).

Arte needs to accept the two years hit (2020-2021) against AAV payroll ($24 million per season), and not be afraid to exceed budget in those two seasons, if the right player (acquisition or hopefully Trout re-signing) is involved.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

It's very reasonable for AP to retire after 2019.   There is no way no how that a 40 year-old (in 2020) with his damaged knees and feet should be playing.   He gets one more visit to St. Louis in 2019, and it's not that hard to spread out the remaining $59 million over the ten seasons of his personal services contract (2020-2029).

Exactly my view, i believe this will happen.  I think the team knows this to a certain point based on the moves they have made.  

56 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You have come to more conclusions than I have it seems.  I made no aspersions towards his managing job in Detroit, I said he was just a guy.  Why he managed the way he did, I dunno he just didn't do anything one way or another to set himself apart/stand out -- good or bad.. 

What I do know is managing a clubhouse was Mike Scioscia's actual strength, so this the one area where there is uncertainty after two decades of relative stability.   The rest is just baseball.

No disagreement in Scioscia's clubhouse management and maintaining order with 25 guys egos. There might be more noise in the coming years but sometimes supressing everything doesn't solve anything. We will see. 

That other part can get here sooner than later, I'm ready for baseball. 

The team is what it is.  I really only worry about the overall health of the players and seeing them stay off the DL. 

I'm curious to see how Eppler's roster works out.  I try not to concern myself with things I don't have any control over, but like most fans - I worry/wonder about a lot of the moves.  I'm just trying to trust Eppler and hope the team stays healthy.

My main concern is that the organization is turning into a frugal shop.I thought it was obvious that we needed offense but we seem to be getting our acquisitions from a bargain basement. I believe in the old saying, "You get what you pay for."

Specifically, 1) that Calhoun will disappear again 2) Ward may not be quite ready 3) Fragility of arms in starting rotation 4) No overt improvement yet in the bullpen 5) Will Ohtani be heathy? 6) How much can we depend on Albert 7) Yet another year of mediocrity from the franchise

1. Bullpen. Hardly any established quality whatsoever

2. Starting pitching. A rotation full of #3-5 starters and we're relying way too much on guys exceeding expectations and staying healthy

The offense should be fine. The AP situation will probably sort itself out. Bu the pitching has the potential to be a complete trainwreck and that's what I'm worried about. It seems like we're taking the same approach that got us nowhere the last two seasons already.