• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your concerns regarding 2019 Angels

Stradling

Reading @Erstad Grit opinion of Calhoun it got me to think about what you all are worried about going into 2019.  I’ll start:

My concerns in order:

Closer-who will it be, will we win more games where we are leading late in the game

Lead off hitter- simply put we don’t have one and I want a line up that affords Trout to bat 2nd.

Health of our starting rotation, it would be nice to sign a guy like Keuchel to anchor a staff and more times than not takes the ball every 5 days.

Who hits against lefties when Albert is hurt and on the DL, since Bour is not good against lefties.

Do we even have a proven set up guy, much less a closer, at this point? Cam Fackin Bedrosian?

Your items are high on my concern list, Strad.

If the season started tomorrow, I think I would put Cozart at leadoff. He draws walks. And he will hit better than .219.

Man, I wish we would sign someone who actually DESERVED more than a one year contract. This off season, so far, is like:

153326181_771978e3e4.jpg

4 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Do we even have a proven set up guy, much less a closer, at this point? Cam Fackin Bedrosian?

Your items are high on my concern list, Strad.

If the season started tomorrow, I think I would put Cozart at leadoff. He draws walks. And he will hit better than .219.

I think they see the stuff that Anderson and Buttrey have and if they don’t pick up a proven closer or a veteran arm those two will get first crack at it.  

Honestly i think im slightly more concerned about the offense than i am the pitching.

The pen is much better.  We may not know the roles per se but i think it will be much improved.  We have guys with closer stuff out there that deserve a chance.  It would be nice to have an anchor out there but im not sure i would pay upwards of 10M for one, feels like money better spent elsewhere.

The rotations should also be better, how could it not be considering who we had starting games second half.  if it stay remotely healthy it will be far better. 

Im worried about another year losing a lot of low scoring games.  We havent done enough to address low OBP or the lack of real threat in the bottom third.   We simply dont have enough impact bats to offset the weaknesses.

How quickly Eppler / Moreno handle Pujol's inability to produce...it will happen.

Third base hole. OK with Cozart / Fletcher as 2B / utility. Ward needs another year at AAA.

Not worried about pitching especially with  Middleton and JC returning and good chance Canning will advance to majors by ASG.

4th outfielder. Borjous not the answer. Need righty to platoon with Calhoun. 

Rotation - how many innings will they be able to clear? This was a huge problem in 2018. I’m not convinced we’ve fixed this yet. 

How much time will Ohtani miss? How much of the season will he lose before getting up to speed?

There’s some things I’m less concerned about because this isn’t in my mind a year we’re quite equipped to compete anyway. 

My concern is there are too many concerns.

Every team has something to worry about.  No team is perfect.  But you want to keep your question marks to a minimum.

I am not that uncomfortable about any ONE thing, but there are just too many.

3B might ne OK it might be a disaster.

2B might be OK it might be a disaster.

1B might be OK it might be a problem.

RF might be OK it might be a disaster.

C might be OK it might be a disaster.

The bullpen might be OK it might be a disaster.

Starting pitching might be OK it might be a disaster.

So my concern is the Angels have to have things go their way on like 5 of the 7 things listed, otherwise this very well could be a .500 club.

I fully understand why things are the way they are. But simply as a fan, it is pretty disappointing to have that many question marks.

My biggest concerns center around the pffese.

1. No leadoff hitter

2. How long will Shohei Ohtani be out? How will he do without a spring trainng?

3. Zero ability to hit LHP despite being predominantly right handed.

4. Poor performance with RISP.

5. Just generally an expected below average performance from 1B, 2B, 3B and RF.

6. How long of a leash they'll give Cozart, Pujols and Calhoun.

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Im worried about another year losing a lot of low scoring games.  We havent done enough to address low OBP or the lack of real threat in the bottom third.   We simply dont have enough impact bats to offset the weaknesses.

Bottom line: If we're behind in the eighth or ninth, it hardly matters who the closer is.

My concerns

-Bullpen after trading Alvarez also need a closer

-Pujols PT if he is struggling others to get there share amount of AB's

-Harvey, he hasn't been the same in years although a 1 year deal he needs to atleast give the Angels 15-20 decent starts

1.  SP.  far and away my biggest concern.  
Harvey had a 4.94 era in 155ip last year and 340ip over the last 3 years with an era above 5.  
Cahill has pitched 413 innings over the last 5 years.  
Skaggs has 260ip in the last 3 years and spent time on the DL last year
Heaney threw 180ip last year after throwing 27 the previous two years.  
Barria just finished his rookie year and about 130ip in the majors and about 150 total.  The highest of his career.  His peripherals weren't great.  
Our primary depth is:
Tropeano - terrible year with 1/2 of it spent on the DL.  
Felix Pena - DFA pickup entering age 29 season with 136 ip in his career at the major league level.  Made 17 starts.  Hadn't started since 2015.  
Canning - Rookie (#2 ceiling but still needs some decent seasoning)
Suarez - Rookie #3/4 ceiling.  gives up a lot of hits.  
Bridwell - smoke and mirrors two years ago.  the smoke cleared and the mirrors broke last year.  
Dillon Peters - who the F knows.  he's 5'9" and left handed.  It's like my wife shrunk and inch, gained 70 pounds and grabbed a baseball glove.  

I like the upside of pretty much every one of those players.  I don't trust a single one.   

2. The pen is one guy short.  at least.  we could walk a ton of guys back there.  but this is a distant second.  

3. Everything else including how much will Albert play, and if the rebound potential can actually do so.  I think at least 2 of 4 will rebound and our offense will be very good.  

To be honest, my biggest concern is the offense as well. I think the pitching staff does decent IF and I mean a BIG IF they stay healthy. Aside from that, the bullpen does need a bonafide arm. Closer or setup man. 

We need a guy that can get on base for Trout. We’ve been complaining about this for years now and Eppler hasn’t addressed it. I’m guessing he’s betting on Fletcher to be that guy. One thing for sure is I’ll have a heart attack if he thinks Cozart is a leadoff hitter again. He should be hitting 6 or 7. 

If only we can find a guy that walks like Harper, gets on base like Harper, bats better than Harper, better defense than Harper and gets payed wayyyyyy less.... than Harper. And... isn’t... Harper.... 

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

1.  SP.  far and away my biggest concern.  
Harvey had a 4.94 era in 155ip last year and 340ip over the last 3 years with an era above 5.  
Cahill has pitched 413 innings over the last 5 years.  
Skaggs has 260ip in the last 3 years and spent time on the DL last year
Heaney threw 180ip last year after throwing 27 the previous two years.  
Barria just finished his rookie year and about 130ip in the majors and about 150 total.  The highest of his career.  His peripherals weren't great.  
Our primary depth is:
Tropeano - terrible year with 1/2 of it spent on the DL.  
Felix Pena - DFA pickup entering age 29 season with 136 ip in his career at the major league level.  Made 17 starts.  Hadn't started since 2015.  
Canning - Rookie (#2 ceiling but still needs some decent seasoning)
Suarez - Rookie #3/4 ceiling.  gives up a lot of hits.  
Bridwell - smoke and mirrors two years ago.  the smoke cleared and the mirrors broke last year.  
Dillon Peters - who the F knows.  he's 5'9" and left handed.  It's like my wife shrunk and inch, gained 70 pounds and grabbed a baseball glove.  

I like the upside of pretty much every one of those players.  I don't trust a single one.   

2. The pen is one guy short.  at least.  we could walk a ton of guys back there.  but this is a distant second.  

3. Everything else including how much will Albert play, and if the rebound potential can actually do so.  I think at least 2 of 4 will rebound and our offense will be very good.  

Agree 10000.1%

If the Angels didn’t have an internal budget and only cared about not going over the $206M marker to avoid the tax, then they’ve got about $40M to spend based on AAV. Get Keuchel and a bullpen arm and then trade some guys at the deadline for a hitter. 2020-2025 here we come...

Bullpen Bullpen Bullpen

In my eyes we have no proven experienced pieces in the pen. Forget a solid set-up guy, we have nothing but potentially promising young arms.

1B/DH

Pujols is done. Ohtani I have injury concerns. Bour is our hope?

SP

Still filled with injury risk guys without a legit 1 or 2 guy we can expect a great year from. 

I think if we added Keuchel and Ottavino we would all feel 100% better about the pitching.

I was really hoping they were going to replace Calhoun, but I get giving him another shot since nobody was willing to take on the 11 million owed to him through next year. I don’t trust Cozart/Ward to perform at 3rd, but I feel like Fletcher will be solid at 2nd base. 

The way I see it, we are four dependable players away from . We need one sure-fire bull pen option (such as they are), a solid mid-rotation arm that can give us 200 innings with an under 4 ERA, and two more bats that we can depend on being above average producers. Basically, we need (at minimum) Brendan Donnelly, a good-year Ervin Santana, a Howie Kenrick, and an Adam Kennedy.

Some of those may be on the roster. Cozart and Calhoun could totally rebound and be average or better at the plat. Either one of our new pitchers could stay healthy and give us 190-ish innings of solid production. We have enough live arms in the bullpen that any one of them could be a dominant end-of-game option. In fact, I think it's likely that one or two of those things happening is pretty good. The odds of all four of those things happening are slim.

This is why names like Marwin Gonzales, Mike Moustakas, Cody Allen, and Gio Gonzales are interesting. Not because they are top-of-the line answers, but because any one of them would be a pretty-good shot at filling one of the roles we need filling.