• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Kole Calhoun REALLY going to start in 2019?

Torridd

I was looking at the depth chart and he's shown as #1 in right field. Do you think he has the job until he loses it or do you think Eppler has a plan that hasn't been implemented yet? More than any player from last year, I think he can't be given the spot. I don't mind him staying on the team, but not as a starter. Thoughts?  

I hope not, I dont think he's a starter at this point anymore, but he would make a great 4th OF. Angels should really trade him and Cozart and try and acquire Puig from Cincinnati.

Angels are paying Pujols, Cozart, Calhoun 60 million this year and they combined for .8 WAR. That's basically the price of a Harper and Machado.

There is too much dead weight on this team for it to be a playoff contender.

When you change your batting stance, sometimes you kind of revert to your former one and struggle with consistency. Happened to Aaron Judge in his breakout year. Calhoun’s swing change clearly was effective for a while, but did it break down because he struggled with consistency or because the league adjusted or both? I won’t count him out yet - same with Cozart - but I’m not super optimistic. Either way, 2019 isn’t a make or break year and the replacements for both are waiting in the wings. 

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Who else do you figure will start ?

also, 

In b4 people start talking about how Calhoun’s going to bounce back and not suck. 

It's definitely Calhoun.

But to address your point, the guy who fixed Calhoun is now the hitting coach. Calhoun is not that old, and he is in his walk year.

There is plenty of reason to believe Calhoun could bounce back in a big way.

2 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

I hope not, I dont think he's a starter at this point anymore, but he would make a great 4th OF. Angels should really trade him and Cozart and try and acquire Puig from Cincinnati.

Angels are paying Pujols, Cozart, Calhoun 60 million this year and they combined for .8 WAR. That's basically the price of a Harper and Machado.

I am sure Eppler has tried to trade Cozart and Kole this off season.  When they don’t play well they are tough to trade.  If they play well you don’t need to trade them.  

24 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I was looking at the depth chart and he's shown as #1 in right field. Do you think he has the job until he loses it or do you think Eppler has a plan that hasn't been implemented yet? More than any player from last year, I think he can't be given the spot. I don't mind him staying on the team, but not as a starter. Thoughts?  

He’s too expensive to be a 4th OF. They reportedly tried to trade him but could find a deal(?) so I’m assuming they’re hoping he recoups some value in Spring or the start of the season. 

3 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Oh, right - if we pile up all our junk, maybe someone will give us something good for it!!!

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I am sure Eppler has tried to trade Cozart and Kole this off season.  When they don’t play well they are tough to trade.  If they play well you don’t need to trade them.  

If Adell somehow becomes a magician and debuts this year and Fletcher, Ward and Rengifo can have strong showings in the majors, then I'd bet money that the Angels trade one if not both by the deadline. I doubt the Angels want to pay Calhoun $14M next season.

6 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

It's definitely Calhoun.

But to address your point, the guy who fixed Calhoun is now the hitting coach. Calhoun is not that old, and he is in his walk year.

There is plenty of reason to believe Calhoun could bounce back in a big way.

I appreciate the optimism but I disagree.  Calhoun wasn’t and isn’t fixed.  He’s shown these wild swings of production and non production for the last 2 seasons.  After his torrid run last year he was terrible again from mid August through the end of the season.  Very much as bad as he was in April and May.

The guy is a more extreme Juan Uribe that can field.  He sucks. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

7 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I appreciate the optimism but I disagree.  Calhoun wasn’t and isn’t fixed.  He’s shown these wild swings of production and non production for the last 2 seasons.  After his torrid run last year he was terrible again from mid August through the end of the season.  Very much as bad as he was in April and May.

The guy is a more extreme Juan Uribe that can field.  He sucks. 

I can understand that viewpoint

but I read a report that Calhoun is a main finalist for a productive year.

Calhoun still plays excellent defense and his contract fits perfectly with Jo Adell's development timeline. If Kole is struggling and Adell is thundering by June-July, Jo will be called up to replace him and Calhoun will be traded or relegated to the 4th OF position. If Adell struggles in 2019, Kole can be kept on next off-season with his option if he is performing even just moderately well in 2019. If Kole does well and Adell does well we will see how it all pans out with the probable outcome that Calhoun plays through the whole year and his option is picked up and then subsequently traded to get some type of moderate return so Jo can take over.

22 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Who else do you figure will start ?

also, 

In b4 people start talking about how Calhoun’s going to bounce back and not suck. 

That's what I was asking. Is he going to start or does Eppler have another plan?

Calhoun is the Starter -- unless they grab a platoon right handed bat. Either before the season or during...

Adell is only 19, unless he pulls a Juan Soto, he may see a few weeks up with the big club, but that's it.

Obviously Bryce Harper would displace Calhoun, but that's the only guy that would relegate him to 4th OF.

Platoon options - Marwin Gonzalez makes some sense, but less because they added Bour at 1st and that's his other position that was needed on the Angels in 2019.

Pollock doesn't make sense, as he is a CF and a lot of his value is defense.

Markakis isn't likely to repeat his 2018 success, but that could be an option if he lingers into ST. Doubtful though, as Markakis wants to be a starter.

John Jay is primarily a CF, and I don't think they could give him enough starts to grab him. Calhoun is still going to get playing time, so, the 40-50 starts against lefties plus say 20 starts in LF and 5 in CF isn't enough of an enticement for a guy who wants a starting spot.

The only other names that could make sense are Adam Jones, or someone like Cameron Maybin or Carlos Gomez.

There's not a lot of OF in this FA market. We could get Matt Kemp I suppose via trade for basically nothing. There are a few other OF bats available on the trade market, but no one significant.

34 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Oh, right - if we pile up all our junk, maybe someone will give us something good for it!!!

lol I think they still have some trade value especially if the angels eat some of their contract.. Teams might be hoping a change of scenery will help them or that they will rebound next year.

if you can trade them to at least clear some payroll that would be good enough.

49 minutes ago, ettin said:

Calhoun still plays excellent defense and his contract fits perfectly with Jo Adell's development timeline. If Kole is struggling and Adell is thundering by June-July, Jo will be called up to replace him and Calhoun will be traded or relegated to the 4th OF position. If Adell struggles in 2019, Kole can be kept on next off-season with his option if he is performing even just moderately well in 2019. If Kole does well and Adell does well we will see how it all pans out with the probable outcome that Calhoun plays through the whole year and his option is picked up and then subsequently traded to get some type of moderate return so Jo can take over.

This, except you don't touch upon another variation: Kole struggles and Adell isn't ready. Then we might see some variation Hermosillo, Walsh, Bourjos, Puello. 

Kole Calhoun should at the very least, be the lion's share platoon starter in RF.  He can't hit lefties worth a crap, and hopefully some of the others can.  But, when Kole is hot, he's hitting both lefties and righties. 

So I'd give him full playing time, at least until May 15.  If he still hasn't got it going by then, I'd platoon him.  If by June 15th, he still isn't hitting, then it would be time for a phantom DL stint like last year.  If July 15th rolls around, and he still hasn't come back to at least hit RHP, then it would be time to part ways. 

But there's a lot that needs to happen before I go another direction.