• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels were main finalists for Zach Britton

1 minute ago, floplag said:

of course, i just find it odd that the one spot he has traditionally found to have the least value, and statistically is exactly that and the hardest to predict etc... suddenly became his target as opposed to over paying for Grandal for example which would have made significantly more sense.  Just cant see how it took this turn i guess.     

I think you've answered your own question.  

Eppler looks for value.  If they evaluate a player and the cost of acquisition actually matches with how they valued the player, then they pursue that player as long as they have the money to do so.  I am sure it's somewhat relative too.  We've been in on a bunch of higher priced players where it didn't work out so it's clear we are willing to spend.  But now it's likely that a bunch of players Eppler considers of appropriate value are gone.  So he's moved on to the next most value etc.  

He's still working to upgrade the team.  He's not going to overpay for any particular player.  

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

True, but he would also have had a significantly higher impact.  
It just feels odd that this is where we suddenly got involved when i dont think anyone really expected that.  

At some point, based on him coming from the Yankees I assumed he would spend on the pen.  In all honesty I thought it would be next year.  I also thought there was a better chance that if we were having a good year you would see us trade for that arm that is performing this year, since the volatility is so high in relievers.  

One last thing that can’t be forgotten on Grandall is we don’t know what he expects to be paid.  It has been widely reported that he turned down 4 years and $60 million.  Since that would seem to be the starting point in negotiations, I am assuming that will turn most everyone away.  He will resign with the Dodgers for one year and $15 million or two years and around $30 million.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

One last thing that can’t be forgotten on Grandall is we don’t know what he expects to be paid.  It has been widely reported that he turned down 4 years and $60 million.  Since that would seem to be the starting point in negotiations, I am assuming that will turn most everyone away.  He will resign with the Dodgers for one year and $15 million or two years and around $30 million.  

it was noted that he wanted something in the 65m range when the mets offered 55-60.  Seriously think he's gonna be kicking himself in 2 years when he's getting at 2/10 deal.  

9 minutes ago, floplag said:

True, but he would also have had a significantly higher impact.  
It just feels odd that this is where we suddenly got involved when i dont think anyone really expected that.  

Eppler pretty much said after the season that the focus would be on pitching, both starting and relieving........

1 hour ago, floplag said:

I do find it intriguing though that a guy like Eppler who has traditionally way under valued relievers, is suddenly in on 2 that would cost as much as these did.
Im not sure if that smacks of desperation or what but its certainly a paradigm shift of sorts.  Not sure what to make of that.  
Ottavino or Kimbrel should eclipse the money that Robertson and Britton got so if we weren't prepared to go that high for them why would we go even higher for them? 
Really unsure what to make of whats going on right now, its like something changed mid plan somewhere. 

All it really shows is that some of the AW Experts are wrong about Eppler.

14 hours ago, totdprods said:

I continue to think we’re going to be a dark-horse on Machado or Harper, and imagine Keuchel will be on the radar too. It’s obvious they aren’t afraid to spend some coin this offseason, and as the days go on, the odds of these guys requiring an ‘overpay’ start to dwindle.

You’re right in the sense that it doesn’t appear that they’re afraid to spend money but we aren’t quite sure what exactly they offered Corbin are we? (I’m legit asking)

I saw a tweet from one of the bigger named reporters saying people believe Machado will get somewhere between 200-250. I think Albert will need to give the FO a heads up that he’s retiring after this season in order for Arte to hand out another big contract and I doubt Albert does that.

I also doubt Harper has seriously been discussed within the organization. I wonder if Harper would even want to come here. Bryce has probably been the best player on any team he’s ever played for and having him play along side Mike Trout sticks Harper in the back seat. That may or may not matter to Bryce but there is a possibility that it might.  Would be quite the 2-5 in the lineup with a nice R-L-R-L mix eventually when Ohtani is back (Trout-Harper-Upton-Ohtani).

As I sit here and wish we were a dark horse I just don’t think so. I think Eppler will shift focus to Ottavino, Kimbrel and Kuechel. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

You’re right in the sense that it doesn’t appear that they’re afraid to spend money but we aren’t quite sure what exactly they offered Corbin are we? (I’m legit asking)

I saw a tweet from one of the bigger named reporters saying people believe Machado will get somewhere between 200-250. I think Albert will need to give the FO a heads up that he’s retiring after this season in order for Arte to hand out another big contract and I doubt Albert does that.

I also doubt Harper has seriously been discussed within the organization. I wonder if Harper would even want to come here. Bryce has probably been the best player on any team he’s ever played for and having him play along side Mike Trout sticks Harper in the back seat. That may or may not matter to Bryce but there is a possibility that it might.  Would be quite the 2-5 in the lineup with a nice R-L-R-L mix eventually when Ohtani is back (Trout-Harper-Upton-Ohtani).

As I sit here and wish we were a dark horse I just don’t think so. I think Eppler will shift focus to Ottavino, Kimbrel and Kuechel. 

Which would still be huge!  

I'm still confused as to what some see in Williams Jerez.

His career WHIP in the minors is 1.39, due to walking close to 4 per 9 innings and allowing a hit per inning.

The only two positive things to take away are his keeping the ball in the park pretty well (just 23 HRs allowed in 307 career minor league innings) and number of Ks. 

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

His career WHIP in the minors is 1.39, due to walking close to 4 per 9 innings and allowing a hit per inning.

The only two positive things to take away are his keeping the ball in the park pretty well (just 23 HRs allowed in 307 career minor league innings) and number of Ks. 

Six years of control, options, and a reliever. That’s really all you need to be useful in the volatile relief department. 

Maybe he’s good, maybe not, but he at least has roster flexibility and a hint of upside. 

I could see them having interest in Ottavino, Cody Allen, Andrew Miller, Zack Duke and Justin Wilson on major league deals...but other than that, don't see any other relievers being added unless they are on minor league deals.

46 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Mid-90's heat from the left side. His WHIP will always be high because he is a high GB% pitcher so most of his balls are on the field where the defense may or may not make the play (resulting in a hit) and he has a sizable walk rate too. High K/9 rate so if he gets a good defense behind him you should see that WHIP number go down a bit. I think he has good potential especially behind our current projected defensive alignment.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Andrew Miller is off the board, he went to St Louis.

Rosenthal tweets that Miller will be guaranteed $25MM over the next two seasons with a $12MM vesting/club option for the 2021 campaign. Miller will be paid $11MM in 2019 and $11.5MM in 2020, and the option carries a $2.5MM buyout. He’ll receive a full no-trade clause as well — something Heyman suggested was a priority for the left-hander last week.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Six years of control, options, and a reliever. That’s really all you need to be useful in the volatile relief department. 

Maybe he’s good, maybe not, but he at least has roster flexibility and a hint of upside. 

That's fine, just as long as Jerez is not counted on automatically.

41 minutes ago, ettin said:

Mid-90's heat from the left side. His WHIP will always be high because he is a high GB% pitcher so most of his balls are on the field where the defense may or may not make the play (resulting in a hit) and he has a sizable walk rate too. High K/9 rate so if he gets a good defense behind him you should see that WHIP number go down a bit. I think he has good potential especially behind our current projected defensive alignment.

I can at least take away from that, that minor league infields are not as advanced defensively as minor league outfield defenses tend to be?