• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels were main finalists for Zach Britton

Not disappointed at all. You don't pay big money or many years for relievers. You grab guys like Hansel Robles, JC Ramirez and Felix Pena when other teams DFA them and you simplify their game and allow them to succeed.

Being in on Robertson and Britton just helps inflate their prices against our competitors. 

It's doing something without doing anything.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

dodged a bullet on that one.  

For zach I agree.  Yankees might regret this one before July.  Robertson seemed like a great fit. Our pen does not look like a playoff pen.  Eppler better figure this out quick.  I've been an angel fan for for about 35 years and I can't recall a bullpen with more questions than this one. 

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

For zach I agree.  Yankees might regret this one before July.  Robertson seemed like a great fit. Our pen does not look like a playoff pen.  Eppler better figure this out quick.  I've been an angel fan for for about 35 years and I can't recall a bullpen with more questions than this one. 

agreed.  I'd have taken the Robertson deal in a heartbeat.  

21 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

For zach I agree.  Yankees might regret this one before July.  Robertson seemed like a great fit. Our pen does not look like a playoff pen.  Eppler better figure this out quick.  I've been an angel fan for for about 35 years and I can't recall a bullpen with more questions than this one

This is a rather dramatic statement that is not really true but to each their own.

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

Being in on Robertson and Britton just helps inflate their prices against our competitors. 

Hah, if only that was Eppler's sublime way to force other clubs to Max out their payroll, leaving quality players at a discount. 

11 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/angels-were-main-finalists-for-zach-britton.html

I posted this in the offseason thread but I figured it deserved its own.

The Angels were once again runner-ups. While it's good knowing that they were in on some top talent, it's disappointing that Moreno is sticking to his guns and has what is starting to become a phobia of going over a certain amount.

Link regarding Arte's "phobia?"

Link regarding Arte "sticking to his guns?"

I am happy Eppler lost at those prices.  The Yankees won 100 games and came up short in the playoffs.  Their mortal enemy won the World Series.  The Yankees are in a position to do what it needs to at least maintain a competitive balance.  The Angels are trying to get competitive.  Big difference in the spending perspectives for both teams.  The fact that the Angels, who have been mediocre for the past few years peaked the interest of so many free agents shows me that players are seeing a competitive change worth considering.

Aroldis Chapman is making 15 million.....Brittan is now making 13 million....2 pitchers who may pitch a combined for a total of 90 innings.  The Yankees are spending 26 million for two players to play in 6% of the total innings played in a season. 

Yeah, it must be Arte making the penny pinching decisions.  It couldn't be someone else who understands baseball statistics, probabilities, player valuations and long term organizational philosophy.  Nope, it must be Arte.

7 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Link regarding Arte's "phobia?"

Link regarding Arte "sticking to his guns?"

I am happy Eppler lost at those prices.  The Yankees won 100 games and came up short in the playoffs.  Their mortal enemy won the World Series.  The Yankees are in a position to do what it needs to at least maintain a competitive balance.  The Angels are trying to get competitive.  Big difference in the spending perspectives for both teams.  The fact that the Angels, who have been mediocre for the past few years peaked the interest of so many free agents shows me that players are seeing a competitive change worth considering.

Aroldis Chapman is making 15 million.....Brittan is now making 13 million....2 pitchers who may pitch a combined for a total of 90 innings.  The Yankees are spending 26 million for two players to play in 6% of the total innings played in a season. 

Yeah, it must be Arte making the penny pinching decisions.  It couldn't be someone else who understands baseball statistics, probabilities, player valuations and long term organizational philosophy.  Nope, it must be Arte.

Exactly this.  

That being said signing two really good bullpen arms gets us 4-8 more wins is my guess.  So if we were to get a Ottavino and Buttrey becomes a dominant guy we could shorten games.  There are still a ton of arms out there that could have bounce back years.  Holland was really good after going to the Nats.  

I do find it intriguing though that a guy like Eppler who has traditionally way under valued relievers, is suddenly in on 2 that would cost as much as these did.
Im not sure if that smacks of desperation or what but its certainly a paradigm shift of sorts.  Not sure what to make of that.  
Ottavino or Kimbrel should eclipse the money that Robertson and Britton got so if we weren't prepared to go that high for them why would we go even higher for them? 
Really unsure what to make of whats going on right now, its like something changed mid plan somewhere. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

I do find it intriguing though that a guy like Eppler who has traditionally way under valued relievers, is suddenly in on 2 that would cost as much as these did.
Im not sure if that smacks of desperation or what but its certainly a paradigm shift of sorts.  Not sure what to make of that.  
Ottavino or Kimbrel should eclipse the money that Robertson and Britton got so if we weren't prepared to go that high for them why would we go even higher for them? 
Really unsure what to make of whats going on right now, its like something changed mid plan somewhere. 

I think it’s a fluid thing....if he had signed other targets, he wouldn’t have had money to spend on Britton....he’s not big on throwing money at relievers but if he has money in the budget and relievers are the best value out there, he’ll adjust the blueprint....

10 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well you pay for talent.  They place a value on a guy and that is based on that guy.  If Ottavino is better then they would offer more, no different than you would any other position on the field.  As for Eppler not paying relievers, I don’t think he is against it, I think it is about timing.  Also he came from the Yankees, who ALWAYS paid for the bullpen.  Lastly, this all should make you happy, as it makes me happy, because it means more than likely the budget has been expanded a bit.  

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I think it’s a fluid thing....if he had signed other targets, he wouldn’t have had money to spend on Britton....he’s not big on throwing money at relievers but if he has money in the budget and relievers are the best value out there, he’ll adjust the blueprint....

of course, i just find it odd that the one spot he has traditionally found to have the least value, and statistically is exactly that and the hardest to predict etc... suddenly became his target as opposed to over paying for Grandal for example which would have made significantly more sense.  Just cant see how it took this turn i guess.     

Just now, Stradling said:

Well you pay for talent.  They place a value on a guy and that is based on that guy.  If Ottavino is better then they would offer more, no different than you would any other position on the field.  As for Eppler not paying relievers, I don’t think he is against it, I think it is about timing.  Also he came from the Yankees, who ALWAYS paid for the bullpen.  Lastly, this all should make you happy, as it makes me happy, because it means more than likely the budget has been expanded a bit.  

as noted that part i did find a positive, im just not sure this is where i hoped to see it happen, are you? 

Just now, floplag said:

of course, i just find it odd that the one spot he has traditionally found to have the least value, and statistically is exactly that and the hardest to predict etc... suddenly became his target as opposed to over paying for Grandal for example which would have made significantly more sense.  Just cant see how it took this turn i guess.     

Except for Grandal also costs picks and international money.  This is why you won’t see us big on Kimbrel.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Except for Grandal also costs picks and international money.  This is why you won’t see us big on Kimbrel.  

True, but he would also have had a significantly higher impact.  
It just feels odd that this is where we suddenly got involved when i dont think anyone really expected that.