• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

17 minutes ago, Revad said:

Not only that but will likely see 13 pitchers to start the year so there's no room.  I suppose Ward has a chance to open the season in the bigs if he beats out Fletcher.  I'm still scratching my head about the Bour signing especially so early in the off-season-  that's not going to help Ward or Thaiss get any time for MLB.

Bour's needed in the event that both Ohtani and Pujols are unable to start the season following their surgeries - I think I read Bert had both knee surgery and an elbow surgery? - so he's just an insurance option. We were unsure at the time if Walsh would get selected in the Rule 5 draft as well, and it would have been awfully risky going into '19 with a totally unproven Thaiss that high on the depth charts. 

I don't want to rush these guys, and I don't want them to get bounced back and forth constantly. Their development is vital to our immediate future. These guys should be the next core, so I am totally fine seeing them all start the year at AAA - and that even includes names like Fletcher, Barria, Anderson, and Buttrey. If there are cheap, bargain options still available for pick-up in coming weeks that bumps everyone down a peg I don't see that as a bad thing, provided those vets have a short leash. Save some service time, get everyone developing together, and have quality reinforcements at the ready to bring up as the season goes on instead of relying on waiver claims and fringey minor league depth.

they were going to get a guy with experience that can play 1b/DH.  The fact that they went with Bour who could only do that actually tells me they have more confidence in Fletcher and Ward than if they went and got a Moustakas, Lowrie, or Marwin.  

The Bour signing also means that they're gonna make Albert earn his at bats and/or Ohtani won't be back right away.  

46 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

they were going to get a guy with experience that can play 1b/DH.  The fact that they went with Bour who could only do that actually tells me they have more confidence in Fletcher and Ward than if they went and got a Moustakas, Lowrie, or Marwin.  

The Bour signing also means that they're gonna make Albert earn his at bats and/or Ohtani won't be back right away.  

This is one of the reasons I was hoping to go after him last season as well. 

Also, if Thaiss continues to up his slugging pct. and show more pop in AAA and Bour struggles like he did in '18, we could see Thaiss in that similar role at 1B with Pujols. 

Maybe the reduced role for Pujols becoming a platoon player gets him to start his farewell retirement party this season as well?

27 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

This is one of the reasons I was hoping to go after him last season as well. 

Also, if Thaiss continues to up his slugging pct. and show more pop in AAA and Bour struggles like he did in '18, we could see Thaiss in that similar role at 1B with Pujols. 

Maybe the reduced role for Pujols becoming a platoon player gets him to start his farewell retirement party this season as well?

If Bour struggles to another 110 ops+ it will still be way better than the production we got from first base last year.  

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If Bour struggles to another 110 ops+ it will still be way better than the production we got from first base last year.  

He was probably referring more to Bour’s last 75 games and the sub-Pujols .675 OPS that he had in that time. When you’re a three-true outcome guy and you can’t walk or slug your way into being an average hitter, it’s a bit concerning.

I’m hopeful Bour’s floor is still a big improvement and he gives us that 100-110 OPS+, but there’s a decent risk that he falls into a below-average range pretty quickly and steadily. 

Edited by totdprods

On 1/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, Dochalo said:

Yes I can see that but seems like Bour plus La Stella lefty roles could have been combined into a single player, leaving a roster spot for the younger guys.  On the other hand it looks like on of Fletcher or Ward will be a starter and they can always shuffled back to AAA to take turns.  Maybe when Pujols goes on the DL Thaiss will get a shot.

I really think that LaStella and Bour are on the roster for mid season trade bait. If they do well and the Angels are not in contention they trade them for future value in the pen or rotation. If the Angels are in contention and have surplus minor league talent to replace them, again, mid season trade bait. Both have team control until 2021making them more than a rental for perspective buyers.

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really think that LaStella and Bour are on the roster for mid season trade bait. If they do well and the Angels are not in contention they trade them for future value in the pen or rotation. If the Angels are in contention and have surplus minor league talent to replace them, again, mid season trade bait. Both have team control until 2021making them more than a rental for perspective buyers.

This isn’t the right thread for this, but we have a ton of guys that could be moved at the deadline this season if the team isn’t in contention.  LaStella, Bour, Lucroy, Kole, Harvey, Cahill, those are all guys on the last or only year of their contract.  Then guys with this season and one more you are looking at Simmons (won’t be traded), Cozart and even Skaggs.  If we have another season where we flounder, but a couple of those guys have really good years, there could be value there.  Plus I doubt Eppler is finished and will bring in an arm or two for the pen.  

I don't plan on the Angels being much more than "in the race" for the second wild card. In my opinion, the pitchers that they have brought in, or more accurately, Lucroy, are going to make the pitching staff much more consistent than we have seen in years. But I have zero confidence in that offense doing much of anything. But the farm system ontgeother hand as improved by leaps and bounds pretty much every year since Eppler arrived. I expect nothing different in 2019.

Some of our prospects are going to break into the big leagues, some of our prospects will break out,  and the organization will be further supplemented with a great draft and another international signing class. 

Nice little write-up in Fangraphs:

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/a-minor-review-of-2018-los-angeles-angels/

There's some good nuance there that you don't always see - like Maitan being disappointing, but still having the arm and power (most just focus on the disappointment).

Hulet really likes Jeremiah Jackson - liked what he said. Also, interesting about Deveaux and Knowles. Didn't know Deveaux put on weight. Knowles really is becoming one of my favorite prospects.

Nice write up on Suarez:

https://www.faketeams.com/2018/5/26/17398150/fantasy-baseball-dynasty-target-jose-suarez

IF his curve has developed into a plus-pitch or even an above-average curve, as the article stats. WHat do you guys see as his ceiling? i see a solid 3 with low 90s FB, a plus Change and an above average to plus curve with solid curve. 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Nice write up on Suarez:

https://www.faketeams.com/2018/5/26/17398150/fantasy-baseball-dynasty-target-jose-suarez

IF his curve has developed into a plus-pitch or even an above-average curve, as the article stats. WHat do you guys see as his ceiling? i see a solid 3 with low 90s FB, a plus Change and an above average to plus curve with solid curve. 

article was from the end of may and shortly thereafter he went on to perform solidly in the thin air of SLC.  

he misses a lot of bats but also gives up a lot of hits.  probably because his fastball just isn't stout enough to elevate him to the next level.  Some would attribute that to his short and stocky frame.  He'll probably have some #3 type seasons in his career but for a few years he'll likely be a back of the rotation guy

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

article was from the end of may and shortly thereafter he went on to perform solidly in the thin air of SLC.  

he misses a lot of bats but also gives up a lot of hits.  probably because his fastball just isn't stout enough to elevate him to the next level.  Some would attribute that to his short and stocky frame.  He'll probably have some #3 type seasons in his career but for a few years he'll likely be a back of the rotation guy

Can Doug White help to add 1-2mph to the heat?

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Not sure if this has been shared yet, but a fairly solid top prospect list. Quite a bit I disagree with, but a decent overview. 

https://prospects1500.com/top-50-lists/los-angeles-angels-2019-top-50-prospects/

I haven't read the descriptions and only scanned the list, but the tiers look pretty good - I'd say I agree 95% with the tiers, at least. No idea about the comments.

Tier 1: Jo Adell

Agreed. He's a true blue-chipper, and the only true tier 1 prospect the Angels have.

Tier 2: Jones, Canning, Marsh, Adams, Rengifo, Suarez, Thaiss

Again, agreed. Maybe one or two of these guys will be stars, one or two average regulars, one or two marginal regulars - but all should make the majors and have multiple-year careers as either regulars or role players.

Tier 3: Knowles, Jackson, P Sandoval, Buttrey, C Rodriguez

Looks pretty good, although I think all of these guys are borderline Tier 2.

Tier 4: Castillo, Hermosillo, Soto, Rivas, Jerez, Bradish, Soriano, Aquino, Maitan, Jewell, Hernandez, Walsh, Madero, Deveaux, Rojas, Lund, Hanewich, Procopio, Wantz, English, A Ramirez, Kruger.

Here's where things get dicey. I'd probably give Hermosillo and Soriano the benefit of the doubt and put them in Tier 3. Several of these guys could/should move up, and some move down.

Tier 5: Bunch of other dudes.

I'd consider L Pena and Swanda as Tier 4. But the rest make sense as tier 5.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I haven't read the descriptions and only scanned the list, but the tiers look pretty good - I'd say I agree 95% with the tiers, at least. No idea about the comments.

Agreed. He's a true blue-chipper, and the only true tier 1 prospect the Angels have.

Again, agreed. Maybe one or two of these guys will be stars, one or two average regulars, one or two marginal regulars - but all should make the majors and have multiple-year careers as either regulars or role players.

Tier 4: Castillo, Hermosillo, Soto, Rivas, Jerez, Bradish, Soriano, Aquino, Maitan, Jewell, Hernandez, Walsh, Madero, Deveaux, Rojas, Lund, Hanewich, Procopio, Wantz, English, A Ramirez, Kruger.

Here's where things get dicey. I'd probably give Hermosillo and Soriano the benefit of the doubt and put them in Tier 3. Several of these guys could/should move up, and some move down.

Ranking Chris Rodriguez in a separate tier as Jose Soriano was laughable I felt. And a lot of those tier 4's should be tier 3's, Herm, Soriano, Maitan, and Hernandez specifically. I have a difficult time putting Adams in that tier yet. Just not enough baseball has been played for him to be there. 

But I really like his outlook on Jahmai Jones, it matches up with what I am hearing. I think he's going to turn into a very good starting 2B, one that does a little bit of everything right. He'll hit for a little average, not elite, but better than your typical 2B. I think he'll have a great OBP. He'll hit for more power than most 2B, and should be well above average on the base paths. And he's becoming a lot more comfortable out there defensively.

I just kind of feel like Jahmai sort of turned into the forgotten man in the prospect rankings. He's featured on a couple top 100 lists, but for the most part you kind of gloss over him because he's been a top prospect with the Angels for so long, and his numbers last year weren't representative of his ability. But I really think he's going to be a 20/20 hitter and clubhouse leader in the majors. 

38 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Ward?  Or is he no longer considered a prospect.

from the writer (comments section):

"I have been higher on Ward than most people so take that into account with my answer. Ward hit the wall in MLB (as many players do), his passive approach started to hurt him when he came to the bigs. So he needs to make the right adjustments (he has his own hitting coach so we will see the changes that they take together) and hit. I think of the 3 guys vying for the infield roster (Fletcher, Rengifo, and Ward) spot he has the highest ceiling, but also is the most volatile. I could see him give the Angels 15-20 HRs and 10 SBs given enough playing time. If he can get the average up I can see him manning the hot corner for at least a few years for the Angels. Defensively I have no worries about him and believe he will be an above average third baseman as he is athletic and has a great arm. Now given that the Angels are looking outside help in that area could mean bad things for all three of those guys."

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Ranking Chris Rodriguez in a separate tier as Jose Soriano was laughable I felt. And a lot of those tier 4's should be tier 3's, Herm, Soriano, Maitan, and Hernandez specifically. I have a difficult time putting Adams in that tier yet. Just not enough baseball has been played for him to be there. 

But I really like his outlook on Jahmai Jones, it matches up with what I am hearing. I think he's going to turn into a very good starting 2B, one that does a little bit of everything right. He'll hit for a little average, not elite, but better than your typical 2B. I think he'll have a great OBP. He'll hit for more power than most 2B, and should be well above average on the base paths. And he's becoming a lot more comfortable out there defensively.

I just kind of feel like Jahmai sort of turned into the forgotten man in the prospect rankings. He's featured on a couple top 100 lists, but for the most part you kind of gloss over him because he's been a top prospect with the Angels for so long, and his numbers last year weren't representative of his ability. But I really think he's going to be a 20/20 hitter and clubhouse leader in the majors. 

I like Jones' ability a lot but the ultimate factor is going to be his hit tool.  I think he'll hit 15-20 hrs and steal 15-20 bags.  He'll have an obp that is 60-80 points above his avg.  He'll end up playing above avg defense.  But will he hit .240, .290, or somewhere in between?  

1 hour ago, Lou said:

from the writer (comments section):

"I have been higher on Ward than most people so take that into account with my answer. Ward hit the wall in MLB (as many players do), his passive approach started to hurt him when he came to the bigs. So he needs to make the right adjustments (he has his own hitting coach so we will see the changes that they take together) and hit. I think of the 3 guys vying for the infield roster (Fletcher, Rengifo, and Ward) spot he has the highest ceiling, but also is the most volatile. I could see him give the Angels 15-20 HRs and 10 SBs given enough playing time. If he can get the average up I can see him manning the hot corner for at least a few years for the Angels. Defensively I have no worries about him and believe he will be an above average third baseman as he is athletic and has a great arm. Now given that the Angels are looking outside help in that area could mean bad things for all three of those guys."

Even if Ward doesn't work out, It's so important for the Angels to find out if he can.  Being able to spend the 20m+ on what it would cost for a premier 3bman on someone else like a top of the rotation starter would be a huge win for this team.  If they sign a guy like Moustakas for more than a year, then we know what they think of his chances.  I'm not convinced the Angels are actually looking for outside help at this point.  The good news is that they don't have to right now.  

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

there are almost 10 players that could move from tier 4 to tier 2 this year.